1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printable DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Cornet32, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Cornet32

Cornet32 Member

Being know for basic questions, I will ask another.
    I have learned from this group NEVER to put a paper label on a DVD/CD.

I would like to buy an inkjetprinter that can print to a DVD/CD and am thinking of a HP D5160. My question is what happens if I print on a DVD surface that is not meant for inkjet printing? Will it smear or damage the DVD itself or will the results not look good?

thank you all.

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you print on a non-printable disk, the ink beads up like water on a polished floor and you wipe it off with a damp cloth.It doesn't damage the disk.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  3. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

Don't know - but I think that the ink cartridges are way too expensive to waste on trying that plus printable DVD's are way cheap anyway

4. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

Cornet32

i bought an epson r-380 inkjet i think it great. it's made to do dvd,s the come out real nice.
    it was fairly cheap 40-80 dollars.

i use it on ones i want to keep nice.. or my home movies

edit
    it does like to use ink....

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Check this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/602216

It's right up your alley.

I know from experience that non inkjet printable media will not allow the ink to adhere. It'll simply wipe off. This happened when I accidentally purchased thermal inkjet instead of inkjet media.

$10 per set of 6 ink carts is all I pay for my epson R-200 and R-300. Cheap ink and when you get a hold of some Ty Watershields,your disc covers will look better than the originals.

6. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

saugmon - where r you getting ink cartridges at $10 a set for epson r-200 ? I have that printer and when I tried the cheap ones my discs came out terrible - the colors were all off. I went out and paid a fortune for OE Epsons and discs printed perfect. I am using TY's but I don't know if they are " watershields ".

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

http://meritline.com/epson-r200-r300-rx500-48pack-inkjet-cartridge-combo.html

My last 3 batches have been from meritline.com and are G&G ink. Current special is $79 for 8 sets,free shipping.

Would you believe the same 8 sets a year ago was $55?

I've been buying 8 sets at a time because my dad has an r-200 and some other buds at work have non disc epson printers that are compatable with mine.They are higher for the individual carts like black and yellow.

I picked up a used/spare R-300 and it came with handsome generic ink and it looks just as well as the Epson and G&G. I googled for handsome ink cartridges and found a site that sells individual handsome for $1.95 each. Also keep an eye out for bidabit.com for the $1.99 individual carts including black. I've also heard good comments for Ridisk generics.

The only issues I had was with private.abacus ink.

All my regular verbatim and maxell full hubs has the matte look and my covers look faded. Lighter covers turned out poor.I'd only use them on the darker covers. Now with the glossy watershields,even the very light covers are looking great.