1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printable Memorex 4X +R issues

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dreddnet, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dreddnet

dreddnet Member

I recently purchased one of those Epson R200 so I can print onto the CD/DVD directly. Now when making "backups" of my DVD's I purchased the Memorex 4x DVD+R Printables. Yet none of my backups have succeeded. While using Nero, the Lead-in phase can take over 10 minutes before it starts to burn. Then about 70% of the time Nero will lock during the writing phase. If it does complete, the disc is unreadable to both a PC and DVD Player. I also tried using DVD Decrypter to burn the backup, which I forgot to mention I use DVD Shrink to copy to HD, and it has the same issues with creating unreadable discs.

Is this a media only issue? I have tried non-printable Memorex 4X and 8X with no issues. I didn't think the printable media was any different than the regular media...

This issue occurs on my work PC's Memorex True8XI also.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Most people don't recommend memorex media whether it be inkjet printable, dvd+r, dvd-r, 4x, or 8x. The main reason being that memorex buys their media from several manufactures (ricohjpn - good, cmc magnetics - bad, and a couple in between) and you never know what you're going to get. If you don't believe me do a search on memorex media. You can use this proggy (free) to see who actually made your media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Then look here to see where your media is rated. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

memorex is not recommended media
    their quality varies i had some before that would do the same thing and it seemed to be every other disc
    memorex sent a free replacement but i stopped using them after that
    try different media

4. dreddnet

dreddnet Member

What other media that has the printable option would be your best suggestion?

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I would recommend Taiyo Yuden's first or you could give Prodisc a try but you con't go wrong with the Ty's.

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

totally agree

http://www.rima.com/ has reasonable prices on TY media and they are not fakes

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  7. dreddnet

dreddnet Member

One issue with Taiyo Yuden is that they are -R not +R. I only use +R because they have always been more stable and better quality than -R with my DRU700A. Do they have any good Printable +R media to use?

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

9. dreddnet

dreddnet Member

Great, then you have me sold. Thanks again to those who replied and gave me help.