1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing DVD Covers?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by aut0psy, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forkndave

forkndave Member

I'm the one that you are quoting. The original covers seem a little short to me, so I don't see why they would print any longer. I've tried covers from label kits that are pre cut and they are on the short side also. I'm not talking about a great bit of shortness, maybe 1/16". I see no need to try and correct something like that when the originals are the same. I don't worry about minor variations in case sizes. It's not that important to me.

Dave

2. Bruce999

Bruce999 Regular member

>>>The original covers seem a little short to me, so I don't see why they would print any longer.<<<<

Solution: open the image in any decent graphics program, and re-size it to fit _your_ cases. Save, and then proceed as normal.

If you are not at all bothered by the fact they seem "a little short," then this is a moot point, of course.

Take care,
    -Bruce

3. landline

landline Member

Hey you guys! This is a really useful thread. I've just got an Epson R200 and what a tool (the printer, not me). Coupled with the undercover xp software recommended here my problems are now over. Many thanks :) Will be checking out Inkrepublic with interest.

4. forkndave

forkndave Member

For the absolutely cheapest ink for the R200/R300 check out
    http://www.private.abacus24-7.com . I use their ink and have no problems with it at all. You can get all six cartridges for $16.85 plus shipping. They have a flat price for shipping of about $5.00 for any order under $100.00. I generally order a 24 pack for $67.40 plus $5.00 shipping. Over $100.00 shipping is free, but I've never spent that much there. I haven't ever ordered less than two sets since the flat rate shipping makes it cheaper to buy more. Don't ever go to abacus.com. That's the same place, but the prices are about twice as high. I have no idea why they do that.

Dave

5. landline

landline Member

6. keithand

keithand Guest

Does any one know any easy program to use to make labels to stick on dvd I have some fellows\neato paper for 2 dvd or cd each sheet. Also any one know a site I could find divx format pictures of labels from tv shows?

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

keithand- surething/stomper label creator works good & avery has a program that does about the same !

8. mistycat

mistycat Active member

For ink (and a lot more) in Canada, try blankmedia.ca. My last order of ink arrived in 3 days from across Canada and everything has always been as stated. I buy my Taiyo Yuden from them as well. I use printable DVD and DVD and CD Cover Print by North Cardinal for premade DVD inserts and people say there is no difference between these and retail. You can use this program on manual for your own settings or automatic for inserts you cut out.

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

keithand,

Here's a link for a free template for Neato,

http://meritline.com/mercddvdavla.html

HTH,

Rich

10. w1zk1d

w1zk1d Member

Im having such a pain printing these covers they always cut off around the edges. How do I make my printer keeping printing until it reaches the end of the paper, so it can fit in a regular DVD case.

Thx

-----

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  11. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

w1zk1d- not exactly sure if this is what your asking about but if it helps then here goes UNDERCOVER XP is excellent cover printing program That prints the whole cover on sheet of glossy photo or whatever type paper you are using ? You will have to do some trimming to fit the new cover to the case but scrap & waste are minimal & the covers look really nice ! hope this helps if not please elucidate on your question = explain more fully & I will help if I can ? HAPPY NEW YEARS & HAPPY BURNING!

12. SmokeyVol

SmokeyVol Guest

[bold]DON'T[/bold] waste your time with a stopmer!!!! Go spend $70 to $80 dollars and get a Epson R200 so you can print directly on the DVD. The stomper is very old school.

13. w1zk1d

w1zk1d Member

Thx yes Im just trying to print DVD Inserts for DVD's Im currently burning. I get my covers from http://www.covers.to/index.php, like right now Im trying to print the "Fantastic Four" DVD insert. but when I print it out it will cut off around the edges and Im using regular paper, and the length of my paper is the full length of the DVD Cover and the width I would just trim it off. I just need to find away to make my printer, print on the edges. I wasted so much paper and ink trying to get the right print.

14. forkndave

forkndave Member

You might try telling your printer that you are using A4 sized paper or 8.5 X 14". That might fool it. I've also heard of some people taping a piece of paper to the end of the paper they're trying to print on. I have an Epson R200 and it prints very close to the edge of the paper, so I don't have that problem. Actually, if I'm printing a full size DVD cover with Undercover XP it tells me that the paper isn't quite big enough. I tell it to print anyway and if there is anything missing I can't tell it. I generally use slim cases and there isn't any problem printing labels for them since the labels are slightly shorter.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

forkndave- What you say ! Indeed ! that's it !

16. Bruce999

Bruce999 Regular member

I agree with the above response from forkndave (regarding printing all of the way to the edge of the page).

Some printers can print very, very close to the edge of the page. Others have built in margins which are hardware defined (or perhaps firmware defined). Often the software you are using checks the prrinter's specs and will not allow you to exceed what is prescribed.

There are always workarounds. The one I use...

-I actually use legal sized paper. I buy it one ream at a time, and it is dedicated for printing covers only.
    -I open the graphic in whatever software I am going to print from, and then tell that software that I am using legal sized paper. I have a template set up which already has these settings punched in, so it is very easy. The template is set up for a "legal size" page. I open the template, and choose to "import" the graphic. I then re-size the graphic if necessary, and hit print. Done.

There are also other workarounds, but I find this one to be fast, and easy, and reliable.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  17. w1zk1d

w1zk1d Member

I have a Lexmark X5150 so best thing I can do is buy longer paper?

18. AJP

AJP Member

I have a Lexmark X1185 and if I tell it that I am printing on legal sized paper it has no problem printing right upto the edge. If I tell it it is letter sized it will cut off part of the image.

Also I use Nero Cover Designer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  19. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Epson c46 (cos the inks are so cheap) !

[bold]Nero Cover Designer / DVD Case / Insert / Neato DVD Case Insert (A4) / Insert Image (drag edges to required size of Neato A4 template) / Print / Elements (uncheck the booklet & Disc 1 options .. leaving insert) / Change no. of copies to more than 1 if need be (?) / Ok[/bold]

That method has worked since before the dawn of time for myself :)

Only other thing you need is a good/decent paper trimmer or guillotine - lol

peace

20. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

I use Microsoft Publisher, I like the reults. But perhaps I should try the ones you are suggesting, they might be even better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.