1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Labels For Cd's/DVD's

Discussion in 'Audio' started by thaifan, Sep 21, 2004.

1. thaifan

thaifan Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post!

Anyone else print to CD/DVD? what sort of hardware are you using?

Also! what software is best to help with printing CD paper label inserts etc?...you can by the standard shape paper inserts for CD's but how does a printer recognize these paper sizes and know where to print to? is it all contained within the software?

Anyone know of any forums perhaps dedicated to the printing side of things?

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I use a program called 'ExPressit' to make the covers for my dvd cases. Just download the cover picture or scan it into the computer then line it up with the template and print it out.
    I used to do the round labels for my dvd's but they turned out to be too much trouble, they can throw out the balance of the disc and stop it from playing.
    Now I just write on them with a permanent marker, they are only for my use anyway. It will do until I get an Epson R200 disc printer.
    I put labels on to cd's and never had any problems with them though.
    So, in answer to your question, yes, everything you need is contained in the software.

3. thaifan

thaifan Member

Thank you for the swift reply AgentK!

So with the software that you mentioned will it, with the correct paper combinations, print CD inserts (back and front) to the same level as professional/shop standard CD's?

What sort of scanner do you recommend? Scanners seem to be very cheap to buy but some must be better than others!

Decent CD/DVD printers are very expensive it seems! browsing through http://www.cd-writer.com/ gives some indication.

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The standard of printing all depends on the printer you use. Mnay of the users on afterdawn use glossy paper to print out the covers.
    I Tend to use ordinary printer paper but I set the printer properties to 'best photo' and 'photo enhance', this prints them out in photo quality and once they are behind the plastic sleeves they look shiny anyway.
    the program I use lets you print out all sorts of combinations, cd/dvd covers, labels, inserts, you name it and it does it.
    I have an Epson CX3200 which is an all in one printer, scanner, copier. I chose this model because of it's photo printing qualities and the fact that replacement cartridges are available quite cheaply for Epson's.
    I also have an Epson C62 which I use as spare but also produces excellent covers.
    There are many versions of label makers out there and I would advise you to look around and see which is best for you. Neato label maker is another popular one.

5. thaifan

thaifan Member

Great stuff! Cheers Agent-K!