1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing Purple Faces

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by Squasher, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Squasher

Squasher Member

Hi,
    I use epson photo quicker to print various selections of photos. No matter what I do, the faces always come out slightly purple. Tried all the corrections and settings I can find. Im using an Epson photo 790. When sent to Kodak the pictures come out fine. Can anyone suggest what to do with photoquicker, or is there another package that will let me print photos in 4's, 8's, 20's etc on one page.
    Squasher

2. omronguru

omronguru Guest

Hi,
    Must admit photoquicker is easy, but you can achieve the same in photoshop using the contact sheet option from the drop down File->Automate->Contact sheet II option.
    As for the purple face syndrome, Do you get the same issue when you print out the picture on its own from a photo program? if so sounds like you may have a prob with your printer, epsons are notorious for block nozzles, caused by the piezo crystals they use, usually fixable using the clean util within the printer preference dialogue box, alternately could be you have run out of one of the colours in the colour cartridge, as you know all colours are made up of the 3 primary colours, so maybe the printer thinks it is laying down the right mix but if no ink there it cant! Had this prob my self once, ended up with green elephants!! Check ink levels with Status Monitor.
    Final possible cause is system needs colour profiling though gotta admit that normally shows up as a colour cast across the whole image.
    Hope this gives you some starting points to look at!!
    Good Luck

3. Squasher

Squasher Member

Thanks,
    Ok, did some more,
    Printed photo using PSP 08, same result. Im guessing its not the software. Then I changed the paper type. I am using Kodak high gloss photo paper, but changed the setting to inkjet photo paper. This seeemed to tone down the purple skin. Will try more paper types.

4. omronguru

omronguru Guest

Hi, just incase it is a profile issue you need to check what profile is embedded into the image, depends where it is coming from, if you are scanning it in try turning off color management, must admit don't use psp now but somewhere like in photoshop there must be an option to convert to profile, try searching the net for some icc profiles for your printer and paper type, maybe try the Kodak site. Another thought on the matter are you using genuine Epson inks? if not may be worth checking out the ink producers site, (or Epson for that matter if they are Epson inks) sometimes there are profiles available there! Sounds like you may have some sort of mismatch issue here, worse case scenario get hold of a copy of photoshop, with that comes a basic colour profiling sware called adobe gamma which loads into your control panel which can be used to ensure the image is being displayed correctly, then if prints still off, try adjusting screen to match print, from here you should be able to then adjust image on screen to get rid of strange colours before printing.
    Know its a lot to take in, I am still trying to get to grips with the whole colour space concept having read 3 books on the subject......Mindblowing stuff.
    An all the adds make seem easy to print from digicams, don't tell you all the setup work that needs to be carried out first!!!
    Good Luck

5. omronguru

omronguru Guest

Just out of interest someone wrote into this months Digital Photo Magazine with exactly the same prob, it appears they had a blocked yellow nozzle on their epson printer which was causing a purple tinge to flesh colours. From the utility menu in your printer properties click the print nozzle check pattern see if you are getting broken lines in your yellow test area!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2004