1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing what's on screen with cmd prompt?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by mfroot, May 19, 2007.

1. mfroot

mfroot Member

Hi,

I'm using command prompt at the moment for my file exploring needs, but I've come across a few snags and I hope some kind people can help me out!

I use the DIR command alot, i'm wondering, is there anyway I can say use this command "dir/b" then have the results of that command printed into a text file say, on my desktop?
    Also, how do I go about running files directly from command prompt? Ssy I would like to run a movie of mine from "C:\Movies\Holiday.avi" How would I go about writing a command for that so it would for instance open it in VLC and automatically make it fullscreen/maximised, is this possible?

Thanks alot guys, I look forward to some replies:)!

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

to get the result of a dir command into a text file you redirect it with the > operator.

dir > "C:\path to wherever\textfile.txt"

To start vlc media player in fullscreen playing a named file:-

type (or include in batch file) its path and name inside quotes, followed by vlc options and then the path and name of the media file in quotes too to be on the safe side.

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --fullscreen "E:\multimedia\Dartacan\series 1\Dartacan s1 19 La gran prueba.avi"

I just tried it and it works.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  3. mfroot

mfroot Member

Thank you very much! Worked a treat^^

Thanks again, Indochine. See you around!

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

this was your homework, wasn't it?

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  5. mfroot

mfroot Member

Oh sorry, your right, it was :D I totally forgot about it and was just curious on the operations of command prompt. Nah, i'm kiddin' it's so I can list files and folders easier when i'm showing collections to friends :)