1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prob with 4x Burning on Pioneer 105

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by melw, Oct 2, 2003.

1. melw

melw Guest

I think I'm missing the point here but for gods sake somebody help!!! I have a pioneer 105, a LARGE stack of Ridata Ritek Gen 4, 4x Discs. Evertime I try to write a film to one of these discs it says its worked ok but about 75% of the time the film pixalates or freezes in places. If I do a speed test in Nero 5.5.10.0 it says that the source data is too slow and therefore it starts to write at 2x. PC is Pentium 4, 2.8g with 1gb of mem. Please Help

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Try changing the discs - even Ritek have poor batches.

3. melw

melw Guest

Tried several types, Datawrite, Princo, Mirror Platinum 4x all do the same thing. Don't seem to get much of a problem when I burn an image although it does occasionally happen even then.

4. Discmania

Discmania Active member

IGb of memory - do you mean HD memory? If so that is not much if you want to continue backing up movies. You should get more memory space. I would suggest changing your drive setting to PIA mode and see if that corrects the problem. Does the movie play OK on your PC player?

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I'd have thought it was 1Gb RAM not HDD space Discmaniaman : )

What firmware are you currently running on your Pioneer 105 melw ?

6. koola

koola Guest

This is probs a problem with the firmware version if you want to write at 4x as most of the drives were shipped with firmware only supporting 2x.

Try updating your firmware to the latest version which should solve the problem.

If the films are pixalting and freezing then there is a problrm with buffer under-runs.

Solutions to try and stop buffer under-runs are to cancel all your background programs from running and stop using the PC for the durration of the burning.

Hope this helps :D

7. venprods

venprods Member

The firmware for Pioneer 105 should be 1.33
    Did you check the mpeg file before you burn it ?

8. melw

melw Guest

Film works ok on PC. Sorry meant to say 1gb RAM.
    Pioneer say that my drive is an OEM supplied to Packard Bell and that their Firmware update to 1.33 won't work (says it can't find the drive) I've contacted Packard Bell and they just re-direct me to the Pioneer website. !!!
    If anybody knows of any unofficial Firmware sites then PLEASE let me know. Many Thanks

9. Ausgum

Ausgum Member

Try checking your power options in the control panel, if its set to go on standby it will burn fine until it goes into standby or turns off the hard disks (what ever it is set to)
    Set all the settings in power options to "never" and that may fix the problem

10. koola

koola Guest

11. zhenyalix

zhenyalix Member

I have the EXACT same problem with my Pioneer 105 - i thought it was the media untill i tried multiple 4x brands all with the same pixel / freeze errors... tried every firmware version out there including 1.33 to no avail - good test is to use nero cd-dvd speed's scandisc test to see the errors on the burned dvd either way the ONLY resolution i have found is to back down to buring forever at 1x.... it isn't worth coaster after coaster to keep trying... (every bit of 4x media i have tried back at 1x has ALWAYS worked fine)

12. pieman

pieman Regular member

Have you tried updating your nero to 5.51054? that might help.Must be careful with firmware too.I went from 1.30 to 1.33 which resulted in a reduction from 4x to 2x on media that i know is the best.It was a right game trying to get my 105 to accept a 1.30 firmware again....nearly binned it until i went on chris' site and re flashed.Its back to its perfect self now.Aint no way am i flashing again!!Also, I close everything down ie no multutasking when im ripping etc specially my av and internet.Can cause all sorts of blips and glitches...but thts the way i find it to work.Zhenyalix try 1.30 rpc-1 worked for me!This one forces the firmware unlike the others that wont flash co they recognise a newer firmware if you try to downgrade.best of luck

13. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes 1.30 is the best firmware for the Pioneer 105. Freezing can still be down to poor 4x media.

14. zhenyalix

zhenyalix Member

maybe that is my issue - i have been using 1.33 - and since my last post verified that i can burn at 2x just fine... guess if i get daring i will try to back down to 1.30

(yes i have tried nero 5.5.x and 6.x with the same results assuming it has to be the firmware - thanks for your help)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004