1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prob with xeno gc?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by fkhan147, Mar 13, 2007.

1. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

hi guys,
    i just had my US version of gamecube modded with xeno gc chip but it doesn't run backups...i got a PAL version orignal game but it works.....
    so any ideas what to do??the backups are running on other modded gamecube's but not on mine...do i have to do the pot tweaking??
    plz help

2. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

i have the BENQ DW1670 writer and i used maxwell and tuffdisc mini dvd-r's

3. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Adjusting the pot should only be a last resort.

I have a feeling that your media isn't up to par, so I suggest checking it's quality before mess with the pot. Even though they work on other GCs, they may still be poor quality media.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Basically, get the DVD Identifier off that link and check the media ID of those discs. If it's MCC, you're good to go. If it's CMC, get better media. If it's something else, look it up on the list and see if it's any good.

4. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

well the pot tweaking worked....all backups run fine now...
    thnx for ur help

5. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

ah problems again
    i burned the mario tennis game and it works but during the game it randomly gives me an error that the gamecube cannot read the disc
    i used the maxell disc which is among the 1st class dvd-r's
    any ideas??

6. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

same thing with naruto ninja taisen 4...........

7. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

also the same problem with super smash bros meele and this game is running in black and white......no colours..i dont know why

8. Hert13

Hert13 Member

Get some better media, I got all my backups to work by using Ritek DVDs, never touched the pot.

Ritek DVDs work flawlessly in my GC and Xbox, they are probably the best DVDs for consoles.

9. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

ok i will.........but what about the super smash brothers melee prob??why does it run black n white??i even tried the ntsc to pal convertors but still.....

10. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

It's black and white because you're trying to play a PAL game on an NTSC console, which is something that doesn't seem to sit well with the XenoGC.

xenoGC Settings

General Info
    You can adjust a few settings by holding varius buttons on controller 1 while booting a game. The settings will be in effect per boot and not change behavior permanently.

[L] Disable audiofix
    If you modified your backup images to work with bioses that didn't support streaming audio correctly, you can disable the native fix.

[R] Disable DREfix
    Turns off the native read adjustment/retries. Can be useful if you want to scan a disc for read errors. The chip will not try to prevent any errors and use the default read settings

[X/Y] Force NTSC/PAL display mode
    Will force the selected region's display mode regardless of the actual game region. This will work for some games, for others it won't.

[START] Version display
    Shows some basic version info (Chip, GC and drive)

Status LEDs
    The XenoGC features two status LEDs to indicate correct function. The red LED is active when the drive resets and the chip is doing its job. Once the drive has been patched successfully, the green LED will light up. Check your install if you only get the red LED, or it doesnt light up at all.

Try holding X on boot and see if it makes a difference. If not, then you're SOL with that copy of SSBM. Get the NTSC version instead.

11. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

tried it but didnt work....anyways is benq one of the good burners for gamecube??if not plzz name 2-3 good burners

12. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

Benq makes some good burners, I wouldn't worry about that.

If you're worried about burn quality, try a different burning app and use a lens cleaning disc on your burner.

13. staverts

staverts Member

Hi there, I just bought and installed a XenoGC. This was not my first soldier mod, but none the less I am having problems. I followed the instructions on the XenoGC webbiste, rechecked my connections, and made sure no two points we touching, but I still have no red, then green light, and the chip does not boot backups. I tried holding start, no response either. Any suggetions or help will be apprecited. Will the LED's on the chip come on tight away when I haveit modded right? If I have checked my poins twice and they seem to line up, what now?

What is the best way to rule out a bad chip?

14. Venom5880

Venom5880 Regular member

The difficult part about installing the XenoGC is that if you get a ton of solder on the chip, you can't see whether or not you actually soldered it to the disc drive's circuit board. I suggest using a magnifying glass to check connections since you should be able to tell whether or not you made a good connection.

Worst case scenario would be that you bridged something you shouldn't have by either applying too much solder or having a shaky hand. If you can still retail games, you can rule out this possibility.

Since the LEDs aren't lighting up, you may want to check the power connections first.

15. mustnap

mustnap Member

Hi. I got a similar problem with XenoGC. I just purchased a used GC and modded it (successfully) and i tried playing Naruto fighting series on it. Here is my result

Naruto Clash of Ninja 2: black screen after the loading screen (the first loading screen) i did not even get to the main menu.

Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3: Running with audiofix screw up the sound, so after i disabled it (pressing L when booting), i managed to play everything smoothly. So i guess no problem here.

Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4: I got to the main menu. Every time i pick Training, i will then get DRE before the character selection screen (when i played this on my modded Wii [wiikey], i managed to select characters but after the training is over, i got DRE). If i pick Story Mode, i managed to play until the 3 v 3 (team naruto vs team Shikamaru) and then i got DRE. And sometimes I just got DRE when i boot the game.

I think i burned everything correctly - and my media is Ritek G04 mini dvd-r.

any suggestion what should i do? i'm abit disappointed since the sole purpose of me buying a gamecube and mod it is to play this game. =(

16. Hert13

Hert13 Member

Are you using Nero 7 to burn?
    Nero 7 was giving me problems, every image burned with it would not work (PC, Xbox and GC isos)
    Switched back to Nero 6 and everything was fine after.

17. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

my clash of the ninja 2 is working fine but had problems with ninja taisen 4.....first i used maxwell mini dvd's and the game gives DRE randomly but then i used verbatim thanks to it the game works fine now but whenever curse seal 2 sasuke appears the game freezes
    i think there's a problem with my image so i'm gonna try a different image and let u know....btw i used verbatim directly on clash of the ninja 2 and my burner is benq and my pot setting is near 175

18. ukgtitch

ukgtitch Member

I firstly was using a softmod to play backup games and it wasn't playing them so great.

I found out it was my mini DVD media i was using + my burner, i kinda tweaked my pot when it didn't even need changing.

19. fkhan147

fkhan147 Member

i dont know what the problem is but when i play super smash bros meele(which i downloaded)it runs in black n white....i dont know why ...also bomberman generations had the same problem running in black n white put pressing y at boot worked but not for SSBM.Can anyone plz help me?