1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably Typical Newbie Questions But HELP PLZ!!!

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by SirenStar, Apr 27, 2005.

1. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

I've ripped some dvd's successfully, have trouble with others. I don't understand all the tech stuff and I don't have time to search thru every forum and I'm not sure even what to put in the searchbox to find the info I need so, I'm hoping some of you nice experts will help. I use ImTOO dvd ripper to convert DVD to AVI and burn it as ISO data on a regular cd-r so I can play it on my regular cdrom drive. (I have an old laptop with only a cd-rom drive and an external cd-r/dvd drive. I want to be able to play all my movies on my laptop cause it's not very portable to carry around an external dvd drive). It works great on some dvd's but there are problems with others. Mostly what I am ripping is TV series dvd's. One series I have won't rip properly to avi, about every 3rd word in the dialog is skipped all the way thru. Although some of the episodes didn't do that. They rip better to mpeg but I really want avi. Another big problem with another series I have is that there are 4 episodes to each dvd and it won't read/access/recogise anything but the 4th ep. What can I do to rip the other 3? I have read what is posted about DVD Decrypter and Dvd Shrink. I d/l'd Decrypter and have no clue what it really does except that I know it doesn't convert. I haven't downloaded the other one yet. I've read they should be used together but that also sounds complicated. Maybe I will try them together while I await a response to this post. Thanks for reading this long post and any help will be appreciated.

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

3. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Thanks Spacedust for the link. I did a bit of FAQ reading for ImTOO. One problem is that one of the tv series dvds I have is the DeCSS protection. On the ImTOO site, all it says is that I can write to them and tell them which dvd is doing this and "maybe" they can test it. I would like a faster solution. Is there a better ripping program that can solve this problem so I can rip to AVI or MPEG? I still didn't find any solution for the problem with the other tv series. ImTOO only shows/recognises, etc. 1 of the 3 episodes no matter what I do. ImTOO site says look in the index for hidden chapters but they don't show up there at all. Any ripping program that can solve this as well? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

4. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Im not familure with ImToo dvd ripper. The link I provided had programs that would get you from dvd to cd(VCD). Eazy VCD(Free). DVDx(Free). Sonic MyDVD I know works well with DVD and VCD it's not free. Depending on the size of hard drive you have on laptop you could rip dvd with DVD Decrypter(Free) using you external drive, In file mode and use something like windvd or powerdvd to play files off HardDrive. Using DVD Decrypter (DeCSS) protection is not a problem and DVD Shrink(For compression) is recommended with a dvd burner. You have a lot of reading to do and I think the answers to most of your questions have already been answered (SEARCH).

Good Luck

Spacedust

5. SirenStar

SirenStar Member

Thanks again Spacedust. I actually did do alot of reading and solved both problems. One was solved with AnyDVD and the other I figured out accidentally. Now I have a new issue but not for this thread and not really a big deal, just something I would like to figure out. :)))