1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem 7 Hours to burn DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jakemason, Mar 14, 2005.

1. jakemason

jakemason Member

System:
    XP Home Edition
    Intel Pent. 4, 2GHZ, 512ram
    DVD Shrink 3.2
    Nero 6.6.0.6
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0

I have burned 100 plus DVD with no problem. Now encoding takes at least 7 hours followed by 7 hours to burn. This is a list of things I have done to fix problem.

1. Uninstalled IDE Primary/Secondary set to DMA
    2. Defragged HDD
    3. uninstalled driveres then reinstalled/Updated drivers/firmware
    4. Run Ad-aware se, spybot, Norton AV
    5.disabled all programs running in background (during burn only 18 processes running)

I installed a Linksys USB wireless adapter but I do not think this is the problem. Please help.

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

What is taking up the bulk of the 7 hours of time? The ripping with Decrypter or Shrink? The burning with Nero? If this problem happened recently, would you consider using Win XP's System Restore to roll back all system updates to a date just prior to the problem? Are you sure IDE Secondary Channel says 'DMA if available' now?

3. jakemason

jakemason Member

If i use DVD Decrypter it takes around 2 hours to rip to HDD. Then when I use DVD shrink to shrink it takes 7 hours to shrink. If i use only DVD shrink it still takes 7 hours to shrink before the burn. And the burn then takes an additional 7 or so hours. Also during burn the buffer stays around 8%. I also tried several restore points but it did not help.

IDE 2nd says DMA if Available.

Thanks for the quick reply. any other thoughts

4. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

what other programs are u running

5. jakemason

jakemason Member

In regards to burning I use DVD Shrink to rip and Nero to Burn. I have used DVD Decrypter only twice and that was on The Grudge and The Forgotten as DVD Shrink failed. When I use DVD Decrypter I shrink it with DVD Shrink and burn with Nero. Let me know if you need further info.
    Thanks for the help.

6. xCrowsx

xCrowsx Newbie

Are you online while trying to burn your dvd's and can you think of anything that you have changed since it last worked corretly......if you are online while you are trying to burn, it could be that you have aquired a backdoor trojan dialer and your pc is getting bogged down cause it is being used as someone else's server or by many other people, you may also have a failed cooling fan in your pc case causing your system to run hot...or a dying dvd burner.

7. HORiZUN

HORiZUN Member

I have the same problem, only my pc takes around 2 hours to burn. ive done all the #@!$ steps ive heard of to possibly fix it, and im still at square one.

The weird thing is that when i was burning on my OLD pc (400Mhz Celeron WinXP 256MB RAM with the same burner, of course) the burn only toook 20-24 minutes. The burner is now in a Dell Dimension P4 2.4Ghz WinXP 512MB RAM and the problem comes up. EVERY TIME I BURN. (except for cds) i know this new dell is a hell of a lot faster than the 400Mhz so im left scratching my head in confusion. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  8. bubbazoux

bubbazoux Guest

I am watching this thread. My successful burn(finally) took 2+ hours to burn last night. I have a new Dell with 3 gig processor and I wasn't running anything else and it took that long. It also took 1.5 hours to rip it first. Can the video card slow this process down? I have an intergrated video card and I didn't know if I needed to upgrade it.

9. jakemason

jakemason Member

I gave up!
    I have disconnected the hdd and installed XP on a new hdd. I also replaced my ram and will reinstall only the programs needed to burn a movie. I will let you know if it works.

10. jakemason

jakemason Member

After install Shrink Ripped it in 27 min. But burn took 7 plus hours. I guss the burner is going out.

11. thecookie

thecookie Guest

this happened to me with "Raise your Voice." I installed interactual player which was on the original disk, and the problem went away and it decrypted/burned normal after that. I dont know if that was actually what fixed it though. /shrug

~Rosalia

12. bubbazoux

bubbazoux Guest

I have Interactual Player installed on my computer. I don't know how it got there but it is there. I wonder if I need to uninstall it on my computer to make things go better?