1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem back-ups -- Alias season 2, Outer Limits season 1, Taken

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by karen2003, Dec 20, 2004.

1. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi, everyone. I've backed up most of my DVD collection without a problem. However, I can't seem to back up these discs and I'm wondering if there's some new form of copy protection since I got these very recently (last couple of weeks) ... and yes, I know people always think that, but I've been backing up for close to a year with virtually no problems (other than the usual occasional bad discs) and these are all new discs. On ALL the "Outer Limits" season 1 discs, which are double-sided, I get multiple errors in the vts_01_4.vob file -- the other files will copy fine, but that file ALWAYS gets hung up. (The fact that it's the exact same file on all sides of all discs is what made me wonder if it was some new form of copy-protection -- it seems like something has been done to that file to screw up the back-up.) With "Alias" season 2, it's the same problem except it's the vts_01_3.vob file (I only tried discs 1 and 2 but got the exact same problem both times). And BTW, I didn't have this problem with "Alias" season 1, which I bought 6 or 7 months ago and backed up fine. Finally, with "Taken," it's a different problem altogether -- all the discs seem to rip fine (I normally rip with Decrypter and then use Shrink to "encode files" instead of "encode disc"), but then when Shrink goes to work on the 1st file it abruptly ends without warning (no message, nothing -- the program simply terminates). This happened with every one of the "Taken" discs and I finally gave up.

BTW these things are happening with brand-new discs, these aren't rentals. Actually I did rent Alias season 2 from my local Blockbuster to see if it would have the same problem as mine, and yep, the discs did -- which again made me wonder if this was some new copy-protection.

I've also tried the discs in 3 different DVD drives with the same results every time. And I've tried to rip/encode just with Shrink (by-passing Decrypter) but it always fails too. Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

2. colw

colw Active member

Karen

Just a wild shot and possibly completely off the mark - but did any of these DVD's incorporate the Interactual DVD Player?

Quite a few members of these forums appeared to have problems with copying the Bourne Supremacy that incorporated the Interactual Player.

By electing not to install it, opening DVD Shrink and using re-author mode, I had no problems in copying the movie.

Could be something as simple as that.

3. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hmmm, this never occurred to me. So many of the newer DVDs do have the interactive player. I'll check and report back although I'm in the middle of encoding so can't do anything for awhile.

My only problem with your solution is that if I use re-author in Shrink, won't I lose menu fuction?

In any case, thanks for the suggestion!

-Karen

4. colw

colw Active member

Karen

With re-author in Shrink you would probably lose menu function unless you inserted a still image.

It is my belief that the Interactual DVD player is a bitch of a program in the same category as the Roxio whore.

If installed I would remove it with the Add/Remove function in the Control Panel and check for, and remove remnants in your Registry.

Again, I may be off track, but it is worth checking.

Col

5. tamula

tamula Guest

hi
    The problem with at least some of these discs (Taken) and a few others I can think of (eternal sunshine bourne, etc) is in the unreferenced materials section of the disc. Interlaced with the other legit dvd items is a small size file of a man in green shorts jumping - he is there to make sure copying the disc is a headache. Replace this file with a still image in shrink prior to burning, and you should be ok. If this doesnt work , you can also replace the entire unreferenced materials section of the disc with a still image- just look at each section to be sure nothing is important in there by using the preview in shrink before you do it.
    Tam

6. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Thanks to both Col and Tammy for suggesting the "still image" work-around. However, I hate to admit I've never used it and am not sure how it works. I'm very familiar with Shrink, just not that feature. Can one of you walk me through it (or just tell me where to find that info)?

thanks,
    Karen

7. tamula

tamula Guest

Hi again Karen~

You just open your dvd as you normally would in shrink, then on the left hand side of the screen, select the feature (like the running man for example) you want to replace with a still image. Then on the upper right hand side of the screen under "compression" select "still image" from the drop down box rather than "automatic". That's it. This is the only way I could the TAKEN series of discs to copy.
    Good Luck and let us know if it works for ya.
    Tam

8. camstuf

camstuf Guest

9. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Um, camstuf, I don't think you read the earlier emails, given your generic post. I've been backing up for almost a year but was having very specific problems with specific DVDs. Thanks anyway.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004