1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Backing Up Long Movies?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Feb 27, 2005.

1. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Media code/Manufacturer ID YUDEN000T02

Above is the ID I got for the last batch of Fuji 8X +R I purchased. They were the branded Fuji with made in Japan on the branded label. These were purchased from BestBuy.com on sale and are not normally the cheapest media. I got these on a 100 count spindle. At the same time I got a 100 count spindle of the Fuji 4X +R. The 4X are coded RICOHJPNR01 and are manufactured in Taiwan. Ricoh is a top supplier of +R/RW media for many of the top brands. Verbatim, TDK, Maxell, Sony and Ritek-Ridata to name just a few. I don't know what Fuji may be sending to other markets, but currently, they are sending the good "stuff" to the NA market.

I noticed the code Jim_Dandy supplied was for the 8X -R media. It appears they're shipping TY for both the 8X +R and -R offerings. The Ricoh media has been a long time favorite of mine. I'd heard of the TY media being excellent quality, just hadn't found a good sale for it at the time I was purchasing before. With the Fuji-TY media, I found it to be an excellent media and I would definitely buy it again.

I usually check the databases to get an idea of what media is being sold by which brands. The database info has been invaluable for my online purchases. It allows me to have some idea of the particular manufacturer's media I'm purchasing under the various brands. As the database is located in Germany, I'd imagine it to be representative of the rest of the EU market as well. Since the brands are international, I would suspect Fuji is just as good in Europe as it is in the US.

When speaking of Fuji, I am speaking of the items I am familiar with personally, the TY and Ricoh manufactured media. Fuji also sells media by Prodisc in the 4X -R as well as Pioneer (which I've heard good reports about). The 4X +R has been predominately Ricoh in the recent past with the 8X +/-R being TY. Fuji -RW is a Mitsubishi product (a top name) and the +RW is by Ricoh (another top name). So over all, the Fuji line is made by some of the more respectable (big name) manufacturers. For those in the know, even Verbatim has a black sheep in their CMC offering, the media that has made Memorex look bad.

So, in the end a brand depends pretty much on the manufacturer's media they sell. Those suppliers can vary over time and that is the problem the consumer has to face. I found out the brand you buy one day may not be the same for the next purchase. Some brands, as pointed out with the Fuji, can even sell more than one manufacturer's media for a single format offering. Memorex used to sell quality media and now are offering CMC. I used to buy memorex when they were selling Ricoh +R media. So the media market has come to a situation where caveat emptor applies, buyer beware.

3. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I bought a pack of 50 Fuji 8x media a few weeks ago and they checked out as the same....Yuden000-T02's.

Be absolutely sure that the package label under the bar code says "made in Japan". They'll likely be Yuden disks. I know the 50 pack I bought were. Maybe the 100 packs are something different.

I don't know if it helps, but the bar code product number on my pack of 50 is 0-74101-75059-1.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Looking for Made in Japan isn't a prerequisite for getting quality media. (If you see Made in Japan, it's not a bad idea to buy that Fuji.) As I pointed out, the Ricoh media made in Taiwan is also a good media. Many of the trades and websites that do media reviews give Ricoh honorable mention, so it isn't just my personal opinion there. It appears the Prodisc (which is the question in many people's mind) is a 4X -R offering. ProdiscS03 if I remember correctly. djlen mentioned the ProdiscF01, I don't know where that one fits in. Which means one is only taking a gamble of getting a lesser quality media with some of the 4X -R (and wherever the F01 fits in). So, with Fuji, it's more a matter of knowing which manufacturer supplied which formats.

For the bar code readers, the 4X +R Ricoh media in Fuji was 0 74101 75002 7 for a 100 spindle. The label for the 8X got disappeared some time back. It appears the 0 7401 is a common part of the codes (at least for the big spindles).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

djlen
    What was the speed and format of the Fuji-ProdiscF01 media you purchased. The databases I'm using don't have everything listed. I'm not familiar with that one.

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Here's the Fuji -r 4x that I bought several months ago.

[​IMG]

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Now if we can find where the ProdiscF01 fits in, we'll have a better picture of what to watch for in Fuji media. As I pointed out before, Fuji sells quite a bit of top line media and is on the same level in my opinion as several of the other top brands. By far better than Memorex, they started selling way too much of the CMC in most of their formats.

Speaking of CMC, some of the top brands have some offerings by the manufacturer. Verbatim, Imation, Samsung, Sunstar, Memorex, Speer, and Philips are among some of the brands selling CMC Magnetics media. However, Memorex is the brand that offers more CMC across the various formats.

Prodisc, besides selling under the Prodisc brand, also sells under the Fuji, Memorex and Medianca brand names.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2005
  8. djlen

djlen Regular member

They are Prodisc FO1, 8x, -R discs sold as FujiFilm discs. Somebody gave me a link to a data base that sort of categorizes DVD media and they are listed in the second tier for quality. "Very good and reliable", but a bit below those in the top tier. There are a bunch of manufacturers listed below them in the 3rd and 4th tiers.
    I have had no problems at all with them, but as I've said previously, I'm so new at this I wouldn't know the difference if it bit me in the butt.

Len

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Our little discussion on media may have gotten slightly off track, though media is an important aspect of recording DVD video.

You said you were successful with the same media, but with shorter movies. What was the size of the movie only that you were recording? What was the compression level listed in Shrink under the compression settings? Also, did you use the quality settings when doing this backup?
    Forgot to mention, another thing you can do is record to "Hard Disk Folder". That way you can view the files before you burn them. That takes the burner and media out of the picture entirely until you do the burn. That way you know if the problem is with the files or with the burner and media.

As far as those settings making the file smaller. I've never felt the need to do it. The default Shrink settings are well within the media capacity. I believe the last movie I did was 4.35 GB and the capacity of a disc is 4.37GB. That's giving you about 20MB of space from the edge of the disc. Just notice the burn circle on a disc following a burn at default and you'll notice an unused ring at the outer edge. It would be some pretty shabby media that requires going below the default settings, in which case you shouldn't be using it anyway.

10. djlen

djlen Regular member

The movie was 9 minutes short of 3 hours(171mins.) and was the first to lock up on me on replay.
    I subsequently burned the movie in two parts and it burned and played very nicely on two disc's.
    I don't know what the settings were on the first burn I tried, or the compression levels. I'm guessing that for that length, I was down in the low 60's, maybe 62% when burned.
    I have backed up movies since then that were up to 2'30 in length with no problem, all on the same media.

Len

11. brobear

brobear Guest

djlen
    The data requested was size, usually expressed in GB. When reading a disc in a drive, open my computer and check properties and it will give the size. Shrink also gives the size of files on a DVD. You gave me the length. 62% compression isn't too bad if you use the quality settings in Shrink. That's about the point I would start using an encoder setup though; something like DVD Rebuilder and CCE. From what you said about the backup working by splitting the movie; that shows your problem was from compression.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  12. djlen

djlen Regular member

Thanks brobear.
    BTW, I always use the quality settings if there is any compression at all. I want the best finished product I can get, and although it takes a bit longer, it's worth it to me.

Len

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Well at least now you know where the problem lies. As I mentioned before, if your current transcoder isn't doing a good job, you might consider changing apps. RB/CCE is an excellent setup for doing large movies and with CCE Basic, does 1 or 2 passes, it doesn't take that much longer than Shrink using the quality settings.

BTW, you're welcome.