1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem backing up new movies

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mattaggie, Jan 5, 2005.

1. mattaggie

mattaggie Member

Has anyone been able to make backups of "collateral", "manchurian candidate", "openwater", or any other new dvds. I have not been able to back up any of these and I was wondering if my software or burner was going bad. I have burned 100's of movies and have not had any problems until now. I use dvdxcopy platinum v. 3.1.38 or whatever the latest version is.

2. h-k

h-k Guest

I backed up Collateral no problem using Decrypter/RB/CCE.

3. TenMen

TenMen Regular member

i backed collateral + manchurian w/no prob.
    used shrink then copytodvd to burn.
    what is the failure your getting?

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I copied all 3 of those with DVD Shrink and Nero. The only problem movies I have found lately have been RE2 and Little Black Book, which everyone knows have new type of encryption. DVD Decrypter has just been updated and can now rip these movies. Then you should be able to use DVD Shrink to shrink and burn with whatever you choose. If that doesn't work for you then I don't know what to say.

By the way Open Water was a complete waste of time in my opinion.

5. zombieman

zombieman Regular member

yes, i also backedup collateral using the prior verson of dvddecrypter without any problems. Other than this newest copy protection that they have came out with (which has already be cracked by various software makers), most of the time if there is a read error it is because there is a major scratch on the disk or it needs to be cleaned.

6. patsoli

patsoli Member

Scuba Pete or anyone who knows their stuff, help!!! I've run into some trouble with Collateral. I tried almost everything and nothing is working. I've burned other movies like Troy, Manchurian Candidate, and other new ones without a problem. I yet have not tried RE2 or Bourne Supremacy yet but will attempt it as soon as I get a copy. With collateral, it is giving problems during my writing process with this error using Decrypter...

I/O Eror!

Device: [1:0:0] HL -DT -ST DVD +RW GCA -4040N 1.19 (D:) (ATA)

ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 13 E4 40 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 1303616 - 1303647

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Invalid Field in CDB

I've tried backing up with Shrink first then burn with Nero but it didn't work. Then I tried using Shrink and then Decrypter following all of Uncle Pete's instructions in your guide but still did not work. So at last I tried reading with Decrypter, open that Disc image with Shrink and backup, then Write with Decrypter but it still gave me problems during the writing process. I must've attempted each of these multiple time and gave myself a lifetime worth of coasters. Please help!!! Thank you.

7. Photoman

Photoman Guest

With Manchurian Canidate, I only get 33% into the rip on dvd x copy, dvd X Copy Xpress, DVD Decrypter 3.5.2.0, and DVD Shrink 3.2 I also happen to be running the most current version of AnyDVD as well.

This is the first movie to ever have me this stuck. The DVD is New with a slight blemish. and I'm using 3 different machines 2- P4's and 1- Athlon all with a min of 512 Megs of Ram multiple large drives formated to NTFS. The Error is a read Error as soon as it gets to 33%.

Does anyone have a fix ?

Thanks

8. mooodyb

mooodyb Guest

RE2 backed up ok using DVD Dycrypter, didn't have any problems with manchurian candidate either. I used DVD Xcopy xpress for MC and Nero for RE2.

9. Photoman

Photoman Guest

Just found out that I had a Bad DVD, Returning it today. Thanks for the response Mooodyb.

It was really driving me crazy. So I just put it in the DVD player and even that could not read it.

Thanks again.....

10. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

DOH! Good ole hdw failure. Little too late, but, I am/was able to burn Open Water (I HATED THE ENDING by the way), Collateral and the others using DVDXCOPY (old 321 studios sfw). Have fun and keep on ripping. Oh yeah, I have had two issues so far: Blow and Remember the Titans. I am trying Blow again tonight when I receive it from my dvd club. Stay tuned if you are curious....

Clean em and Fry em!!

11. amaze122

amaze122 Member

This is really bizarre! I have already burned the Manchurian Candidate movie to my harddrive, using DVD Shrink. Three days later, I attempted my first copies, and wham, two coasters in a row! I thought it was Nero, so I then used my old standby, CopytoDvd, which hung up on 50% and refused to move! I then pulled the file up in Dvd Shrink, [bold]the same program I used to burn it with in the first place[/bold], and it won't even read it! Instead, I get this error: failure to read file "G:\The Manchurian Candidate\VIDEO_TS\VTS_07_2.VOB" My burner is the new Memorex DLRWL1, which burns all my movies in 6 to 7 minutes or less, and has never failed or had a problem (It is 3weeks old). I have already burnt 20 movies with it. So, what in the world is going on here?
    Edit: Also, the movie plays and plays well. I have watched it from the file on my harddrive twice already! Oh, and by the way, DvD Decrypter apparently only does discs, not files, so I could not get any help there, and DVD43 didn't aid me any either, for the same reason, (guess I shoulda known that, but by then, I was pretty desperate).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  12. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

Run check disk and defrag..try again. That fixed it on my PC

13. amaze122

amaze122 Member

"check click"?

14. Rushman1

Rushman1 Member

Wrong Spelling..sorry

15. mooodyb

mooodyb Guest

I started using AnyDVD after all my problems and with it running in the background I have burned several movies using DVD Shrink and have had excellent results. The nice thing is that AnyDVD allows you to try it for 21 days before you buy it and I did purchase it before it expired and am very happy.

16. know1190

know1190 Guest

Hi
    my system is running with AnyDVD and I use both nero recode and PINNACLE 8 se and both made a back up of Collateral from an American import disc which came out perfect and as a Region 2 duplicate.

17. amaze122

amaze122 Member

mooodyb, and know1190, I am pleased at your successes, but this might not be a decrypting issue, the dvds have already been ripped to my harddrive with no problem. I tried burning another dvd to disc from the same source drive,("G") (after the defrag did not solve the problem, Rushman1, and it failed also. But I then tried burning dvds from my other harddrives,all Lacie 500gb firewire external drives, and they all burn okay. Which would suggest that it is not the burner, but something to do with the drive, which I have had numerous successful burns from before, and which is only 1 month old (Lacie 500gb firewire external also). Hmmnn.... problems, problems. And all the movies (I did a random sampling of four) on this "G" drive play really well, they just won't burn to disc, using either Nero burning rom v.6.3.1.20, or CopytoDvd 3.0.42.78. I get either a "cannot read from" error or a "cyclic redundancy check" error. This is so strange...

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ amaze122

sounds like a DMA issue on your drives....

also:

I/O Errors are NOT bugs!!!! (well, not 99.99999% of the time anyway)

An I/O Error is my way of displaying a problem your drive had with the disc or your system config (mainly a disc problem though).

Unrecovered read errors, Seek errors, Servo errors, Focusing errors, ECC errors, CIRC Unrecovered errors etc. are all your drives way of saying "I don't like this disc".

Clean the disc, update your drives firmware (http://www.rpc1.org), try it in another drive, get another copy.

Note: If you're burning a disc in ISO Write mode and get an error, it's pointless trying another disc from the same pack / spindle. You need to find some different discs, with a different dye type and try those instead.

19. Nucklhed

Nucklhed Member

Amaze 122

Every time I got a "cyclic redundancy check" error it was due to a faulty disc. I have also found that I cannot burn multiple discs from the image file on the hard drive. If I want multiple copies I have to put the burnt source disc in and select the number of copies I want with the appropriate program (power producer or nero)

Cheers

20. know1190

know1190 Guest

I.ve been having a similar problem.I was putting the original in the rom drive and the blank in the writer drive and using both the quick copy method and the writing to drive first and was getting plagued with both read and write errors and I have just found by series of elimination that my writer didnt like the blanks I was using.I have white pritable 8x-r Ridisc and 4x-r silver printable Ridisc my machine likes the 4X but not the 8X I concluded its down to the dye as one set has 04 dye and the other doesnt.Even though the choice of disc only affects the writing I was still getting read errors while the machine had the wrong blanks in.