1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem buring CDs using Nero 6.

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by roonsa, Oct 26, 2004.

1. roonsa

roonsa Member

I downloaded the trial version of Nero Reloaded and am having problems buring my first CD. I am making an audio file that consists of two MP3 files. Both are about 9MBs in size and equate to about 22 minutes of audio time each, therefore 44 minutes in total. The problem is that when i start to burn the CD, the process monitor gets to about 4% and then just sticks. It doesn't do anything else and I have to re-boot my PC to get the burner drawer open. I am also, in the process, having to throw out the CD-R that I was using at the time.

Additional background. The trial version upgraded my Nero 5.5 to Nero 6.6.0.1. I upgraded because 5.5 did not support my new DVD burner. I have used this burner successfully before to burn DVDs (using DVD Clone 2). My PC spec is adequate for the requirements : 1.1GHz processor, 256 MB RAM, plenty of free disk space.

Any ideas as to what could be causing Nero to be sticking like this? Is it a hardware or software issue?

Thanks,

Roonsa.

2. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Roosna,

Could you try burning to the Image Recorder instead, just to see if this part of the process completes properly?

If it does, then we'll know the problem lies in the actual burn process. If it does not, then we know we have a software conflict or problems with the source file.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

3. roonsa

roonsa Member

Thanks for the reply, Craig.

I changed the recorder to the Image Recorder and the process did complete. However, it took a really long amount of time to do so considering that the total file size is under 18MB and the total audio time is around 44 mins. The process took around 30 minutes to complete. I certainly didn't have this problem with Nero 5.5 and that was running on the same PC. Nothing has changed except my DVD burner (which obviously wasn't used when writing to the Image Recorder). Another thing to note is that everthing else grinds to a halt when the burn proess is taking place. All other applications run really slowly. Windows take forever to refresh when switching between them.

I downloaded a trial version of Ashampoo and it wokred fine with my current DVD burner. The process was quick and it certainly didn't give me the problems that I seem to be having with Nero 6.6.0.1. The only reason I wanted to use Nero is because it can remove the 2 second gap between tracks when I am burning mix CDs, a function I could not locate on Ashampoo.

I will need to look for another product because I am afraid the performance of Nero on my PC is not acceptable.

Regards,

Roonsa.

4. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

I hope you havn't given up already. :)

Can you send the log file or post the log file from the last write attempt so I can see what occured?

How were the MP3 files you are using created? Do you have this problem with other audio files? If you place an Audio CD in your Recorder, and then use Nero's Save Tracks feature to extract the audio to your Hard Drive in WAV, MP3, etc format and see if you have the same trouble creating an audio CD using this as the source.

Did you install Nero 6.6 over Nero 5? Or did you uninstall Nero 5 first and then install Nero 6.6?

Regards,

Craig

Ahead Software
    USA

5. roonsa

roonsa Member

Sorry for the delay in replying to your update Craig. I tried the burning process (to the image record then to CD-R) with another set of files and it worked perfectly. So I'm guessing you were right that is a problem with the two files I tried first time round. However, my Hard Drive was also heavily fragmented and I ran a defrag in the meantime. Any chance that could have had an affect on the burning process? I'll try it again with the two original files and let you know how I get on.

Thanks,

Roonsa.

6. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Yes, fragmented hard drives have been known to cause issues. So it's possible, though not definate.

Regards,

Craig