1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem burning DVD media

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by JagsFan7, Jan 28, 2007.

1. JagsFan7

JagsFan7 Member

I used to burn movies on Maxwell DVD-R's and didnt have any problems. Recently I got a 30-pack and tried to burn movies using them and they attempts did not work. I noticed that the DVD's that worked were 8x and the ones that do not are 16x. The DVD player would not read them nor would the DVD drive. I then bought Imation DVD-R's which are 16x and they work in the DVD player but are not recognized by my dvd drive. Can anyone help me out please. Thanks in advance!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi JagsFan7
    May just need a firmware update. What's the make & model of the burner?

Maxell uses different manufacturers too so only get the made in Japan ones. Imation also uses different manufacturers - some not that good either.
    Media to get - Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden (look for made in Japan Sony or Fuji) or you can buy genuine TY's from a reputable online store.

3. JagsFan7

JagsFan7 Member

It is a TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R6112

I updated the firmware and the drive still doesn't recognize the disc :(

4. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

Binkie7 is right, don't use Imation, their media is crap. I use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. Right now im burning Verbatim DVD 8.5GB, the best burner to get in my opinion is a sony. I know alot of people here like Lite-on but i've never tried that burner

5. binkie7

Laptop drive? Looks like this is an older one- only supports -R media & top burn speed is 2x.
    So even with the update to the firmware - 16x esp the lower quality is probably not all that compatible w/ this drive.
    I'd try and find 8x media (ones me & MasterRE recommended)

6. JagsFan7

JagsFan7 Member

Ok thanks for helping me out. It is a laptop drive but thanks for answering my question. I just wonder why it doesn't read the discs after burning them. Thanks!

7. binkie7

Th firmware having no support for the discs could be it. One big thing firmware does helps the drive with read and write strategies on media.
    The drive is probably using a generic write pattern which is working to burn them for now but to read them is another story.

edit to add: Oh and no problem on the help :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  8. JagsFan7

JagsFan7 Member

Yeah It used to read the discs after I burned them before and it didn't work but now after a few tries I burnt a disc and it works this time so hopefully thats a sign of it working now. Thanks again.

9. binkie7

Yep I hope it's a good sign too!

Happy Burning

10. MysticE

MysticE Active member

That's funny, many Sony burners ARE Lite-ons, and I would buy neither.

11. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

I didn't know that, so the drive is branded as sony but underneith it's really a Lite-on drive?

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes, that is right and or aka "rebadged." Some of the newer Sony are either BenQ or Lite-On.

My DRU 710A is actually an OEM (original equipment manufacture) Lite-On SOHW 1633S, she's been burning flawlessly for the last 3 years and still running strong. My other "Litey SHW-160P6S" has been ripping & burning beautifully for 8 months and still burning like new.