1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem burning dvd-r/w

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by wbkezw, Aug 14, 2007.

1. wbkezw

wbkezw Member

About 6 months ago I was running a Sony DVD burner with Roxio software. All of a sudden it would no longer burn -R/W discs. Thinking the burner had gone bad, I bought a new one (I think Samsung) that came with Nero software. Found out it wouldn't burn -R/W either, although it burns -R just fine, and can handle burn to DVD -R/W discs set up as data discs. Have tried other burning programs with same results. It accepts the files it's supposed to burn, goes through all the motions, but the -R/W disc is blank after the burn process. Obviously, something is conflicting, but I have no idea what. Any ideas?

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Rewritable media are often automatically accessed by any packet-writing software that will format the discs with its own proprietary version. (All rewritable media need to be formatted to allow files to be changed or deleted. With floppy disks there were two incompatible formats--IBM and Apple. With optical media there are dozens, and they are all incompatible.)

If you have Roxio on your system, it probably uses DirectCD. Nero uses InCD. You cannot have both on your computer at the same time without having problems with rewritable media. That is the most common problem with rewritable discs.

3. wbkezw

wbkezw Member

I think you're probably right. I just can't figure out what's conflicting. The problem began with my old burner when I was running Roxio, so I presume it was something I loaded then. I've gone through my programs looking for anything that remotely resembles a burning program, and the only thing I came up with was Veritas Recordnow DX. I deleted it and rebooted, but the problem persists. Are there specific file names or extensions that would point me toward a conflict?

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Veritas's packet-writing software is "DLA." It may be somewhat like DirectCD and leave fragments in the registry. See if it appears under the Control Panel/Remove Programs utility. If that does not work, try a web search for removing DLA. Did you load the Nero that came with the Samsung drive onto the computer with Roxio? If so, you should remove one in favor of the other.

5. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

6. wbkezw

wbkezw Member

I've removed everything about Roxio and Veritas that's obvious. I'll run the Roxio remover and see what else I can find on the web for removing anything that may have been left behind. Good suggestions. Thanks.

7. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

8. wbkezw

wbkezw Member

Ran the Roxio remover and still no luck. My next step is to completely remove the Nero program and reload it with the thought that maybe with everything else gone, it may be able to load properly.

9. wbkezw

wbkezw Member

All right. Completely uninstalled Roxio and Nero and run the cleanup programs. Then reinstalled Nero without the InCD. No change. Reacts just as before. Refuses to burn R/W discs though it goes through all the motions. Other than buying a new computer, I'm beginning to think I'm just out of luck.

10. masest

masest Member

Well you are not the only one who is being bad luck and you are not in the worst situation yet.....
    I had 2 drives, one NEC 7170 and one LG but forgot what model, few days ago I formatted and reinstalled xp sp2, then the nightmare begins, after installing everything both drives cannot write or read -R disks but ok with the +R disk.
    No matter what brand dvd they just cant be read, no matter movie or data disk.
    can anyone help on this thanks.