1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem burning dvd-rw

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jake2003, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

I just bought a new computer with a dvd rewritable installed. I can play dvd movies fine and I can even burn regular cds. The thing is when I try to burn a dvd-r or a dvd-rw a message comes up saying that I need to insert a blank cd or a cd with enough free space. What should I do?

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think u need to get an update for stomp.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with that software cos there was no dvd application on it.

He went on to the site and got an update.
    Sorry do not know the link.

Hope this helps

3. SpannerBr

SpannerBr Member

What software are you using to burn your DVD?

If you have nero, fire it up and cancel the wizard. Then click file > new. And make sure you select DVD from the drop down combo box.

If you don't have nero. Get yourself a copy.
    www.ahead.de

Or if you're gonna start backing up DVD movies, get yourself DVD Decrypter and IfoEdit and have a read through some guides on www.doom9.org

4. dolphin

dolphin Guest

i have a similar prob i burned a 2.gb movie to a dvd+rw with nero no prob but have trouble burning the same movie onto a dvd+r (used a ricoh dvd+r and bought intenso dvd+r) they both have same prob say not enough room on disc

5. KevSan

KevSan Member

This might be a dumb question but does your DVD writer only work with DVD+ discs perhaps?

6. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

I have a dvd+rw but have tried with every type of media-also the burner I have is a nec dvd+rw ND-1100A which kind of worries me because I went to the Dell community and found that other people have been having the same problem-does anyone have the same drive and if so problems, and if so any answers.

7. mikesmike

mikesmike Member

I had the same problem and finally found out it took me 3 days returning the laptop yelling at techs the whole nine when it was just that i had the wrong dvd media my tobisha only reads dvd------r not dvd+++++++r funny shit ha

8. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

Jake, I've got same NEC combo drive as you. Ive done a DVD+r which worked on an old Sony standalone, but not on my own Apex player ( media was Ricoh ) . Then tried it on an HP DVD+RW disc ( not cheap!) and it worked fine in my own Apex player.

I'm hoping this is a straightforward media prob, and have ordered a starter pack to try 4/5 different makes of DVD+r discs. I'll be trialing at the weekend and let u know the results.

Keep me posted if you have any success.

NB does this drive do both + and - DVDR's? I thought it only did +r, I'm away to check it out.

9. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

That's weird because I managed to burn with a dvd+r (verbatim) NOT hp-I tried both a dvd+r and dvd+rw from them and neither worked. I also tried a dvd+rw from verbatim and that didn't work either which is weird cause I have messiah

10. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

Jake, whats messiah??

Tools i'm using are dvddecryptor,vobrator,rempeg2,ifoedit and finally for burning Nero 5.5.10.7b ( I was using Nero 5.5.10.7 when probs occured so I thought i'd try the latest updated one from Nero for my tests ). Its strange that some discs work on RW, but not R (especially when they're the same make!), but I'm getting my trial pack 2morrow, so I'll try a few of them out and report back probably on Sunday. Discs I'll be trying out are FWS DVD+R, Traxdata DVD+R, Traxdata DVD+RW, Datawrite DVD+R, Ritek Printable DVD+R, Verbatim 4.7g DVD+R ("Plus" Format Write ONCE disc, and once again Ricoh DVD+R.

11. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

Spanner,

On Nero, there are two folders under DVD setting, namely an audio one and also a video one. Can I assume that you drag all the files across into the Video file ( ie nothing goes into the audio file)? Thanks

12. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

Jake, there are some good guides on doom 9, but after trawling many of them , the best one I found was at the following site < http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420/main.html. Hope its of some use. Seems its used quite a lot as its always maxing out, but leave it a while and go back, you will get in.

13. Jake2003

Jake2003 Regular member

walter that page didn't work-sure you got the right one?

14. id10t

id10t Guest

The period at the end of that link is also hotlinked...
    After the error message pops up for you, just go into the address bar, erase the period and hit enter...

15. id10t

id10t Guest

OK...and after I just did that it still won't load because that page has exceeded it's bandwidth limit...
    So, try again later...

16. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

17. WalterPK

WalterPK Member

Jake,

I've finally had success with a DVD+R that works in my Apex DVD standalone. The disc i used was a Traxdata one ( with a gold top ). You can see them on the following link http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_FOR_DVD_R_RW_CLICK_HERE.html . This is also where i got the trial pack. I'll try the others in the pack as i back up my other films, and i'll post results here. For the record, i used a DVD&RW first ( the Traxdata DVD+RW from the trial pack ) using Nero, without a test ( straight burn ). Tried it in my standalone, and it worked, so then put in DVD+R disc and again, did a striaght burn.