1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem burning dvd with dvdshrink & nero 5

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dave375, Jan 29, 2004.

1. dave375

dave375 Member

i'm new at this so go easy on me. i'm using dvd shrink 3.1 and nero 5 to back up dvd 9's, but i am finding that the copies can be quite jumpy and pixelated towards the end of the disk, normally the last couple of chapters. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Dave,
    The first thing you need to do is make sure you do your back-ups with very clean and un-scratched source DVDs. (check yours for a scratch near the outer edge)

This is important because if problems like yours occur, this becomes one less thing to worry about. (always start with a clean disc)

Don't buy cheap media, go for the good stuff, your problem is most likely caused by this.

What are you playing your back-up in? Does it pixelate in your computer?

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Yup, sounds like a cheap media issue to me.

4. sergioch

sergioch Member

I am having exactly the same problem, same software (DVD Shrink + Nero 5). Also, let me tell you that the first 5 DVD backups I did had not errors at all. Lately, every backup has errors (5 new ones), usually in the latest chapters. I did not change the media (Verbatim DVD-R) or anything else. Also, I have noticed that if all the resourses of the PC are dedicated to the backing process less errors appear. But still the quality is far from the original one. Just to complete the picture, my PC has 512K RAM, Intel 2.4GHz processor and MSI DVD-+R/RW.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi guys,
    Heres a cool tool you can check a bunch of stuff with.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Really useful for checking your source discs in for read errors, checking your drives and probably a bunch of other useful stuff too!

Frank

6. sergioch

sergioch Member

Just checked and the backed-up DVDs play OK in the PC.

7. bill1996

bill1996 Member

When I first started burning dvd's, I would get alot of error's towards the end of each movie(COASTERS).After updating the firmware on my burner(TDK) and using only quality disks it seemed to help. The final solution was to turn off all running programs/ I shut off my internet accesss/ printers/ virus scans/ and any programs that might be running or might open. I use DVD shrink (GREAT PROGRAM) and use decrypter if Shrink has a problem opening it.With the newer version of shrink available I haven't needed to rip with decrypter. I burn with nero 5.5.
    I've burned some 300 + movies and haven't had a coaster in a long time. My final advice is to run the software and only the software/ walk away from the computer and do somthing else during this time.You'll find less errors and get better quality in the long run.

8. dave375

dave375 Member

great, thanks for your advice everyone. i am playing back my dvd's in two dvd players. one is a good hitachi and the other is a middle range samsung, i'm having trouble in both. yes it does pixelate and jump around when played back on my dvd-rom. it sounds like my problem must be related to poor media quality. they are shintaro disks and cost about AUS$2.50ea in spindle of 50. i was told that they were good quality and no problems had been had before. anyway i will be going back to the guy i purchased them off and put them where the sun don't shine. just on another tact, cananyone tell me if i can use dvd infopro to check for faults on blank media? thanks again for all your help and input, i'm sure to be a regular at this site.

9. sergioch

sergioch Member

Bill and Frank THANKS!!,
    Following your adddvice, now I am closing every application (including internet access, firewall, antivirus, etc.) before ripping with DVD Srink 3.1.4 and doing the same before burning with NERO 5. The results are outstanding, no erros at all. Also, in order to avoid forcing the DVD drive, I am using only 90% of DVD-R disk space, trying to avoid the last part of the disk where usually errors are found. In order to fastcheck the resulting backup, I use DVDinfopro as recommended by Frank, great program and many thanks to both of you.
    Also, have you used the option 32Kbps reading blocks (64Kbps standard reading blocks) in DVD Shrink?, Are better results achieved this way (32Kbps blocks).
    Thanks again to all of you and great internet site.

10. poppa

poppa Member

Hope you guys can help me out... I've been looking around this forum for at least an hour trying to find some answers, but to no avail so far... Using the software discussed in this thread, once the Backup! button is clicked in DVD Shrink, my DVD burner is not being recognized in the Target Device tab??? Is this why Nero 6 is specified in the Guides???

Also, not to be off-topic but, looking over the FAQ thread, what I got out of it is that I can't strip features from DVDs if using XP??? (Due to IFOEdit's incompatibility with XP) Did I interpret the FAQ's info correctly???

Thanks in advance...

11. jimdene

jimdene Member

Does anybody else have a problem with downloading DVD shrink from the official website

12. mrbass

mrbass Member

if there are no green blocks on your harddrive...test with a software dvd player like PowerDVD, WinDVD, ATI DVD Player, etc. then it's definitely a media issue. If it's any consellation I've wasted well over $300 on crappy dvd media. Oh well those have been expensive lessons for me but in the long run I guess it's worth it to learn.

13. Battscrew

Battscrew Member

I suggest using Dvd Decypter to burn, i have used nero but the DVDs would not play on all players at home. I use Dvd decypter and now no problem