1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem burning dvd

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by smitty25, Jan 18, 2005.

1. smitty25

smitty25 Member

i downloaded click 1 dvd and also dvd decrypter and insted of using dvd43 someone told me to use decrypter and i could burn dvd's to hard drive as a alternative and from there i could use my click 1 dvd to burn on blank dvd. first question don't know how to get dvd from hard drive to click 1 dvd to burn. second qwestion i have a program called copytodvd se and when i try to burn dvd with this program it seems to work but it says dvd space not big enough i need dvd space for 7.94 gb only dvd i can find are double layer 8.5 gb but they are spendy, wondering if there is a way to delete extras and so forth from dvd to get under 4.7 gb. when i open up dvd on hard drive all the contents look like little peices of paper so i don't know what to delete.
    if any one knows a better way to record dvd's all dvd's please let me know i would like to use click 1 dvd since i bought it but i will try anything.
    thankx smitty25

2. RussReef

RussReef Guest

Yeah, don't waste your money on double-layer discs. They're much easier and more economical ways to back-up your DVDS --

Download DVDshrink and Nero from the software section here at afterdawn, and follow this guide:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

DVDshrink will compress your movie's file size down to 4.7GB, so it will fit on an inexpensive single layer disc.

Also, you can hit the re-author button in DVDshrink to just copy the main title -- then you won't waste space with DVD menus and extras... and actually won't have to compress the main title much at all (preserving video quality).

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi smitty25,

How about I start you out with a freeware guide. This is a step by step way to do a backup, how to set it up and edit it, all in one, OK ?

Let’s go get one of your favorite DVD’s and make a copy of it so should something unforeseen happen like an ice flow hitting the Mojave Desert and freezing the original, you’ll have a backup of it -

IS EVERYBODY READY ???

Well Ok then, let’s just sit down and get comfy in front of the Big screen TV cause in just a minute or so the “Uncle ScubaPete Show” will be coming on the air –

- CLICK –

”Brought to you this evening by AfterDawn, the “Fat chewing” champion’s location of choice - and under threats by a crazed spear waving maniac, we are forced to present Mr. Brain-Dead, direct from his extend stay at the Happy Hills Institute of the Mentally Disabled and Disturbed Souls, and here he’ll be until it’s been discovered that he’s escaped yet again from that fine facility - and here he is, live and unfortunately still disturbed, it’s Uncle ScubaPete - - - - “

Ooooohh Boy, Ooohh Boy, The ScubaPete’s so happy I could spit fish !

Big fat finny fish !

And what’s soo great it could get Old ScubaPete (the original couch potato) excited ?

FREE STUFF that’s what, FREE STUFF !

I know I run behind the times but this needs Shouting Out !

The new DVD Shrink version 3.2. really started it all !

(Get your DVD Shrink’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Yea I know, it’s been out for a while, like me, I’ve been out for a while but I just found out how truly kweel the new DVD Shrink was -

We now we can go from Soup to Nuts, with just 2 programs and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter -

(Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/ Sleeping Beauty Kills Bill, needs Anger Management

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink will put your ISO files in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter all by itself.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. As for your DVD media, after all my efforts, it had better be Ritek G04, Verbatim "DataLife", Ridata, Sony or media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO". Other media could well be the cause of errors. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period :) Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I saved on these." cheap stuff in. If you don't know what I'm talking about – you had better go back to reading these forum threads and seeing all the poor media complaints -.

Now go into DVD Shrink, click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size anywhere between "4260MB" to "4300" - we do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. Then, under the "File I/O" tab [bd]un-tick[/b] "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". Let's do it now !

Now let's burn a DVD, OK ? First let's open DVD Shrink, now "click" "Open Disk" and let DVD Shrink analyze (rip) your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim your movie a little, you can "un-tick" audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Outer Mongolian, Klingon Slobber-Jaw or Eastern Himalayan Yak language selections or the Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the best quality picture), click "re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are more choices, look at the time and select the longest one as that is usually the main attraction. Click and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Bingo, Bango, you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.

DO NOT CLICK ON FULL DISC OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR EDITING.

If you want a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. Don't try to cheer it up and don't worry, it likes being "depressed". There's no problem in doing a full backup as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select

"Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter".
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frill DVD's like "Pirates of the Caribbean" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, like Matrix Reloaded or The Day after Tomorrow, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, That's it ! By clicking "OK now, (YEA, NOW, ~ ~> CLICK, "OK" !)
    (Wheeeew, we almost missed that didn't we)

Well, DVD Shrink will burn that ISO image to your HD and it then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD. - Believe it or not, that was as hard as it ever gets - Why is that you ask ?

Because the next time all those boxes you had to do this time are already done –

"Pissshaaa," you say.

"Naaah." Says I. "Tis the most honest truth !" I added. :D)
    "Really and truly !" I stated, "From now on, you'll be able to backup a DVD with a minimum of 3 mouse-clicks."

“OK, Ok, What now.” Says you.
    (OOOhh, Pooohh, I gotta stop this “says you, says me,) It’s wearing me fingers out) - - (Switching to regular typing mode - - "clink", "Pop", -) - Done –

OK, time to move on (switching to the moving on mode - click, %@# rattle - snap, - #%@-Ouuuch, S@it, that hurt -,

OK, I got it -CRUnch&#$ ) - - Moving on -

And I KNOW you aren’t going anywhere near that PC while it’s working cause you don’t want me a-smackin your knuckles with my Nun’s ruler do ya ?

Yea, I thought not. - Screwin’ up the burn this late in the game would cause me to choke on my fine finny fish dinner -

Now tell me, - - -

Wasn’t that finer than frog hair ?

Slicker than a southern slimy slithery sloth ?

Yep, ya see there, I thought you’d say that -

Truly fine, that backup was - -

“Hark, I heard a Backup Beep” –

Aaauuugh, the officers in the white coats and armed with the big nets and straight jackets are here - a-backing up to my front door - nice talkin with you, this old ScubaPete just remembered he has to be somewhere, anywhere (looking for the backdoor) - -

Enjoy youse selves and your backed up DVD’s –

I’ll be a-seeeein’ ya round the ‘ole Chuck wagon –

Ooohhhhh, I almost forgot –
    We expect ya to send word by way of de Pony Express on how you made out – Don't you forget now – we're expecting to hear from you -

Now where are my quarters, and Where’s ol’ Paint, me trusty Horsie - - -

Gotta go, gotta go - (jamming quarters in ole Paint’s neck)

Get’em up Gurttie, gotta go, click, clump, (feedin’ in more quarters, maybe Paint’ll go
    faster - )

Clippity, clippity, clippity clop -

an we’re off – Sea Yaaaaaaaaaaaaa - -

(Remember, when you want a guide with an attitude, shop ScubaPete :)

Cheers,

Don't forget to let me know how you make out -

Pete

4. smitty25

smitty25 Member

hey scubapete,
    the advise you gave me worked great, i burn't a dvd i wasn't able to before. thank you very much for helping me. i have a couple more questions, wondering if you buy blank dvd's online if so wondering wear. also my burner burns +r dvd up to 16x wondering what is the best speed to use. when i burn dvd's does each dvd get stored on my hard drive i don't think so but just wondering. one last thing wondering if there is a way to save dvd's that i burn, a have a winzip program, i would think you could put in the burn't dvd and compress it and send it to a blank disk, and then open up that disk and decompress when you wan't to copy it, i have click 1 dvd "to copy it" i think this would work, if you know a better way please let me know, keep in mind i'm pretty new to computers but learning slowly.
    thanks a bunch smitty25

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Why buy online, Best prices, good return policy, greater choices.

Where, Newegg.com, Meritline.com, superstore (something, I forget) the first 2 are excellent and run "deals" pretty often.

As for Speed,
    I can burn 4X discs at 8X with my "hacked" Pioneer BUT when you do DVD Video work you can't afford even a small mistake cause sometimes that's all it takes to ruin a disc. Nephilim and I were burning discs at different speeds and as soon as he went to 8X, his picture skipped and was jerky. Same for me too. We dropped it to 4X, same file, same discs, the picture was perfect, no skips no artificats, no coasters.

They have burners out that will burn at 16X. It works fine for Gifs, Jpg, Data BUT just not for our work.

Pple burning at anything over 4X are those without quality concerns and feel that saving a few short minutes (generally only a matter of 3 or 4 minutes - 5 at the outside) is much better than all else combined. Just to add to the argument, 4X costs less than the faster discs. Soooooo, I save money, get better burns at generally a better quality that the "speed demons" and I only have myself to blame for any coasters because burning at 8X can and does cause coasters because of the speed. I have talked to a few friends who burn at 6X, every great once in a while they get a coaster but nothing like 8X or faster.

Storing movies.

These are not data files. Compression isn't an option. edit the DVD you want to burn, burn it to disc, use decent quality discs so they won't lose their memory. Store in DVD jewel cases (I use the slim ones, over 400 DVD's in the last 13 months take up room). I had another 450 + or so and when my "little Boy" (age 32) stopped by, my collection was gone too. It's OK, I only get a chance to see him every couple of years or so and I'd seen all those discs. (Lol, crying while I'm laughing :)

As for the poor media, the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc[/i]. We all know that data, music and video backups on CD's and DVD's will last forever, well, if not forever for at least 100 yrs or so - That's what we've read and I believed and that's why we backup our treasures to disc, so that they'll be safe. "BLAaaaT" (the bone chilling sound of an emergency air horn), Wrong, Dead Wrong ! Don't throw the originals away, you may very well need them. Your video camera tapes and family picture CD's and DVD's, may not be there the next time you want to look at them. "Point of fact," inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down]" in time. In a very short time, we're talking disc can breakdown in less than a single year, in as little as 6 to 8 months.

This article was written about CD discs but DVD discs are exactly the same. I was miss-informed and this opened my eyes. Perhaps you'll find it as important as I did.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

My personal observations on this subject -
    I have had about 40 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be very sure that there are no problems. "In the Golden, Olden times," before I knew any better, the Memorex, Maxell's and professional "Store Brand" discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what used before I switched to Ritek, RICOH and Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.).

It is the poor quality stuff that I have been experiencing my trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had, refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Freeze" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek's, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in over 1 ½ years. I still have some backups about 90 of them done on the "cheap stuff" and, as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine the end of "02"and "03" then "fail" in "04 ?? Some that were done in "03" never made it till "04" (it took me some time to learn, lol) Most of my backups from around March of "03" were done on the "good Stuff" and they still work fine today - not a single failure ! What about now ? Well in a very short time when the calendar changes to 2005, I'm going to run the rest of them through. It's been too long and I don't want to run the risk that I've lost an original OR one has been borrowed and never returned (like that's never happened, Huh ?). I want my discs back and 005 is the year -

Don't go through what I did, protect your investment.

Hope all this helps,

Cheers,

Pete

As far as good media ? It's time for you to begin looking for some posts dealing with media for DVD Video work. Here's a hink - it's as close as the beginning for the newbie forum

Sea Yaaaaaaaaaaa

BTW, there are many proggys far better for quality and as easy as the one you are using - the one you're using just sucks, my opinion and many others like me - again, look around and try other proggys -

Cheers,