1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem burning multiple dvds

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sirshafty, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sirshafty

sirshafty Member

Hey, I have two dvd burners and I've been trying to burn two dvds at the same time. Problem is, the burning speed on each burner drops to really low speeds whenever I try to use both burners at once. I've been using dual-instances of dvddecrypter, each set to a different affinity. When I'm only using one burner (either one), it burns at normal speeds. The burners are different models and are on the same IDE controller, but I've been told that that shouldn't matter. The images I'm burning are all stored on the same hard drive partition, and the hard drive is far from full, so I doubt the hard drive is the bottleneck. The firmware on both burners is up to date. Does anyone have any idea why the burners would be having trouble operating at the same time? They don't seem to have a problem ripping at the same time, only burning. And they seem to be able to burn cds at the same time with no issue.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz running @ 3.42GHz
    RAM: 2gigs Dual Channel DDR2 Team Xtreem PC6400
    Hard Drive: Seagate 320GB 16MB cache 7200RPM
    Heatsink: Big Typhoon
    Case: Ultra Aluminus
    Power: Ultra 550W Modular Powersupply
    Graphics: ASUS ATI X1950 Pro
    Optical: BenQ DW1620 & Pioneer DVR-111D
    Moniter: LG 20.1" Widescreen L204WT

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

If you have Nero Burning Rom you can do multiple burns there. Get your favorite program to create an ISO file first then follow directions below.:

To multi burn an ISO file from HDD with 2 burners simultaneously:

1. Open Nero Ultra Suite 6.6.0.18
    2. Open Nero Burning Rom (NBR)
    3. X out the window that opens in NBR
    4. Click on top left on FOLDER
    5. Find where your ISO is located and highlight it and click open
    6. Burn Compilation window opens:check multiple recorders. Then click burn
    7. In the Choose recorder(s) window that opens, highlight the 2 burners you want to use (mine shows all three and will do them all). Click OK
    8. Put media in drives as they will open automatically. They stay closed if they are already loaded.

9. Click on the burn Icon and both drives spin up. Both stopped about same time with nice new DVDs booktyped to DVD-ROMs. I used 8X as the burn speed. NBR has no trouble burning 3 16X DVDs

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes you want to use nero dvd burning rom to handle it. i do it all the time no problems when using good media like Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim and keeping your burn speed at 8x or below. when i use all three burners i notice i get better results using 6x speed

you PC specs or fine for handling the job

4. sirshafty

sirshafty Member

Well, problem is, I'm usually burning two different images, not making two copies of the same image. I can burn at speeds up to 16X when I'm only using one burner, but when using two, it won't hit over 4X. Even if I can use Nero to burn two dvds at 6X, that seems pretty pointless, since I'd get the job done in less time if I burn them one at a time at 16X, right?

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

NO, burning at 16x(which isn't recommed) compared to 6x would save you about 3 to 4 mintues tops. burning at 8x is recommed

if your burning two different ISO files at the same time(which i never do) it probably has something to do with your memorey, buffer rate etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Someone explain how you burn two different ISOs at the same time? With same programn? With two different programs at same time? In other words, you end up with 2 different DVDs at the same time?

7. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

....And most of us don't multitask while burning.....

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i do ,with a Dual-Core CPU its NO problem

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@aabbccdd
    Is it possible to burn two separate ISO at the same time and how would you do it?

10. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

garmoon- yeah I'd like to hear that one too ! I've done simultaneous burns on my Benq 1655 & my 2 Nec's -3500 &2500 But they were 0f the same Iso/disc image & Using Roxio ! and I used the same dvd media in all 3 drives . If I recall I set burn speed to 8X but the disc never burned faster than 4x doing this ! I should also mention that One Drive is Running as an Usb /External drive so this may have slowed things down ? But speed issues aside all Three Dvd's Burned well and played Fine ! So alls well That ends well ! in any case just thought I'd join the fray? LOL!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

garmoon yes it is. you would need to run two different burning programs at the same time to do it. burning one file with nero and burning the second file with IMG Burn etc. so yes its can be done

12. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

Ahhh Perfect thread I was looking for, sorry to but in with my problem, (apologies to the OP) But here is my dilemma:

I'm running 4 NEC 3550A Burners hooked up to my Dell Dimension E310 through a generic 4 port usb hub extension which hooks up to one usb port on my comp, I'm using Nero 7.xxsomethingorother and using the multiple recorder feature to burn an iso image which is stored on a SATA hard drive attached to my PC via a usb cable as well. The comp has 1 gig of RAM and a 3.06 ghz processor. I'm burning at 12x. I run no other programs while doing this except firewall and antivirus. Sometimes the burn process completes successfully and the drives all pop open and that's great, but after a few burns, here's what happens:

Nero burns the whole disc in every drive, but when it tries to do the lead out it gets stuck, and the little timer on nero keeps running but the drives are not doing anything. SO I abort the process, stick the dvds in my xbox 360 and the whole things play fine, However I put them in my older ps2, or in my pc and the ends of the dvds are unreadable, won't play etc. Funny thing is if I turn off the pc, and turn off the external drives, then turn the pc back on, and turn on the drives after windows xp starts up, I can burn a few more and they all complete successfully. Any suggestions on how to achieve a successful burn more often?

13. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

eleted double post woops

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Dnola3, a couple things edit out one of your double post. plus be carefull highjacking someones thread but since you are on topic somewhat i may be able to help

first try burning at 8x or even 6x when running three plus burners at the same time. also you may have a heat problem after a couple runs causing this so try a extra fan or so and/or let the burners cool a bit between runs. you could try closing out nero after a run then reopen the program and go again

15. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

Thanks, I don't know how that double post got up there...I dont kow how to get rid of it either... :S I close nero and reopen after every run, it seems to do better that way, I have the burners in external cases with fans built into them..I think I will try the lower speeds, and also if it's an over heating issue, I can try giving them some cool down time, Thanks so much for the input and again, apologies to the OP for butting in with my problems

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Dnola3, cool i hope thats helps let us know

you can edit your post by clicking the "pencil/paper" in the upper right hand corner. right beside "Link this messsage"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  17. Dnola3

Dnola3 Member

I've started burning at 8x, and I can do about 3 runs, then I give it about 15 minutes, and 3 more successful runs ....all is well

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

cool, its definitely a heat problem then, just give the burners a break here and there

19. sirshafty

sirshafty Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been out of the country a couple weeks, so I've been unable to reply or test my burners any more yet. I was under the impression that, given my system specs and the fact that I have a dual-core CPU, I should have no problem burning multiple images simultaneously. I burn using two instances of DVD decrypter, one set to each CPU core. They don't even make a dent in my processor usage or in my available memory, so I don't think either of those are the problem. The hard drive might be the bottleneck, but it's a new SATA drive, so it should have no problem keeping up with the optical drives, since data transfer rates from hard drives are much faster than optical drives.

I'm wondering if the problem is my IDE setup. Both drives are on the same IDE controller. The secondary IDE controller on my motherboard is actually a JMicron Primary EIDE controller. I didn't think that this would support a dvd burner, since it's not supposed to support ATAPI. But, people have been telling me that they have their dvd burner connected to their JMicron controller, so I think I'll try putting one on there. Maybe it'll work better if the burners are on seperate controllers.

20. FireWire2

FireWire2 Member

You guys use the wrong bus for burnning multiple drives.

# 1 FireWire - no lock-up bus when command queing
    This you can burn 10 DVD at once with P3-800MHz, 256MB
    Part required:

IFC FireWire converter from DATOptic
    http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=IFC-1&detail=yes
    to convert ATAPI drive to FireWire Drive
    1394a host controller - dual TI chip set is recommended (faster)

# 2 SATA PCI express host controller
    You must USE PCI expess slotm because it's point to point connection. There is no sharing bus so when command is queing, is does not lock-up the bus

Part required:
    SATA-IC2 - ATA/ATAPI to SATA - latest chipset 3811
    http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=SATA-IC2&detail=yes
    eSATA_PCIe2 - PCI Express SATA host controller
    http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=eSATA_PCIe2&detail=yes

In both configurations SOURCE is the problem when burn multiple titles at once, for this app burnning may required RAID 0 for fast data transfer.
    8x = 11MB per title, so you burn 5 titles it needs 55MB/sec sustained rate
    16x = 22MB per title, so you burn 5 title it needs 110MB/sec sustained rate

With SATA solution DATOptic builds a MegaDVD-30
    http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=MEGADVD-30&detail=yes
    A thirty DVD duplicator systems burn sync and asyns

Hope this would help
    FireWire2