1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem burning svcd with nero 6

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by capncark, Feb 29, 2004.

1. capncark

capncark Member

I am trying t5o burn an avi. file to svcd in nero. The avi file is only about 158 megs but after nero encodes it to svcd it says the disc does not have enough free space on it. I an using 700 mb/80 min cd-rw. Does the encoding process make the file that much bigger?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

The Size the SVCD File will be after encodeing has absolutly nothing to do with how big the AVI file is..What Matters is How Long the AVI file is and in SVCD Format you will only get about 45 minutes of Video on a CD-R so allmost all Movies will have to go on 2 CD-r"s at least...You should also realize that the encoder in Nero 6 is well known for being one of the worst Quality encoders ever created so you will get better results if you used a standalone encoder Like Tmpgenc or the MainConcept encoder which can also Split the Mpeg file for you so you can put it on seperate CD-R"s...well good Luck

3. capncark

capncark Member

thanks a million I'll try TEMPGEnc

4. capncark

capncark Member

well I tryed with TMPGEnc and I got way better video quality but I can't hear anything. I put my .avi file into the video source box but I don't know what to put in the audio source box. It wont let me put the avi file in for audio (unsupported format).
    Do I haave to extract the sound from the avi as well? If so how do you do it?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

This is because Tmpgenc doesn"t like Compressed audio in AVI file so most of the Time you have to decompress the audio in the AVI file or extract it to Wav Format...You can use Virtual Dub to extract the audio or decompress the audio in the AVI file but it sometimes has a tendancy of going out of Sync if you use Virtual Dub so I usually use a Tool called "Decompress.exe" which if you MP Me with your e-mail address i can send it to you, If you used the MainConcept encoder you would have to do this and it would encode the file in about a third the time with about the same quality....Cheers