1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Burning Using Movies from my External HDD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Fred87nc, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Fred87nc

Fred87nc Member

Ok So I just bought an External HDD WB MyBook 500gb, Usually When I Already have a DiscImage On My Hardrive I burn It Using DVD Decrypter and I would Get a Good Backup in 8 Minutes at 8X write speeds. Since I could'nt Keep Much DiscImages On my 60GB Laptop HDD I Thought That maybe I could store them in the External HDD and then USe the Images from there and Burn It in 8 minutes.Without Having to Delete Images Everytime I backed up a Movie. Well the Problem is that it would Only Burn at 4x instead of the average 8x speed it burned when I got it directly from my laptops Hardrive. So My question is that Maybe the USB 2.0 Is making it burn at 4x? Maybe getting Firewire external HDD would be better?Any Suggestions? Does anyone have the same problem? thanks In advance

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

first off.... I hope you don't take this the wrong way... Please Stop uSing youR capiTal LetTers as it's difficult reading your post and most importantly it's against forum rules!

Your problem is not your external hard drive... it's your media! I have 2 external hard drives that I use exclusively for movies! I rip to the externals as not to use my internal hard drive! so all my movies are done to the externals even temp files are put on the externals and I have no problem with write speeds. If you are having a problem with write speeds that means that your burner and/or your software is not recognizing your media correctly! If you switch to a different media and your drive doesn't recognize it then you would get a problem with write speeds. Has nothing to do with external hard drive. This is a writing problem with software or burner! Most likely the burner. Use quality media and this might go away...... rule here is MIJ (Made In Japan). Look for the MIJ on the label of the box or spindle or just buy Verbatim. Verbatim is the only exception to the MIJ rule, they are made in Taiwan/Singapore and are top notch media! good luck.

3. Fred87nc

Fred87nc Member

Sorry about that.I'm using Sony DVD+R,so I don't think that's the problem.Also I forgot to metion that I'm also using an external burner,it's a sony 18x burner brand new.Maybe that's what delaying the whole process,since it's getting the image from the external hdd and burning it on a external burner.any suggestions to how to fix it?

4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

It's not unusual to get an actual 4X burn speed when using an external burner on a USB2 bus. Some configurations will achieve higher speeds. I've had several external burners and none will burn as fast as an internal burner in a fast desktop system. I can achieve 8X burns when using Firewire with an external burner with my Athlon 64 lappy although I burn at 4X anyway since I seem to get the best quality burns at that speed and I don't have buffers filling and emptying and the burner waiting. I normally only achieve 4X burns using USB2. I also use external hard drives and experience no difference in speed as compared to using the internal drive. I also used to get better throughput on an older lappy by using a USB2 PCMCIA adapter.

In you case I imagine the USB2 bus is saturated with both the hard drive and external burner on the same bus. It is possible you'd experience faster throughput if one of the devices was moved to another bus like Firewire. Much depends on how well the comm chipsets on the peripherals communicate with the comm controller on the bus. It also helps to keep your HDD defragmented.

5. Fred87nc

Fred87nc Member

Mmm, the thing is that whenever I have the Image on my laptops main HDD and burn it to the external hdd I always achieve 8x, it's now that I burn with the external HDD that I don't

6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Yes the laptop HDD is not on the USB2 bus. The external HDD would be on the same USB2 bus as the external burner. What I said above is that having both the external burner and the external HDD on the same bus was saturating the bus bandwidth for any number of reasons, the most likely being inefficient communication between the comm chipsets on the devices and the USB2 controller. You're lucky. I can't even get greater than 4X speeds on average with an external USB2 burner with my fast Athlon 64 laptop with a 7200rpm HDD. I don't care as I burn at 4X anyway even on my desktop system which can do 8X-16X without any problems most of the time.