1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Burning Wii ISO's

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by goteron, Dec 23, 2007.

1. goteron

goteron Member

I downloaded a few Wii ISO's and am having trouble getting them to work on my Wiikey 1.9b setup.

I have tried ImgBurn and Nero following the guides on this forum. I am using Verbatim DVD-R discs. However the lowest write speed they support is 4X. Even with IMGburn if I select 1X or 2X it burns at 4X. They are the only verbatim Media I could locate. My Wii is updated with the latest Firmware (Whatever that may be... updated today)

Here are the games I am trying

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Its PAL, so wont work on my NTSC system anyway

Ghost Squad - Works OK now.. IMGburn 4X

Medal of Honor 2 - Doesnt Load (NTSC)

Big Brain Academy - Worked for a day, and then stopped working

Harry Potter - Worked for about 15 minutes then locked up

All games are NTSC except Pro Bowling. I have tried every combination of media / Image burning software I can think of and am still having problems. Please Help. I have search the forums and cannot find my answer. Thanks

2. goteron

goteron Member

3. yikhai

yikhai Member

It could be a number of things, it could be your DVD-burner (how old is it? does it have the latest firmware? etc etc). If you are running other processes while you burn, it could be getting bad burns due to that.

I use Verbatim at 4x and haven't experienced any problems since. If you have another DVD-burner available, try using that with IMGBurn at 4x Write speed.

4. Emjei2k

Emjei2k Regular member

I use Sony DVD-R with ImgBurn at 4X
    No problems. Works fine for me all the time ^ ^;

5. goteron

goteron Member

This is so frustrating. I updated my DVD drive to the latest firmware, stopped all the services I could and burned Medal of Honor 2. It worked great the first time. I quit, ejected the disc and reinserted it. Nothing. I reset the wii with it in the drive, took it out put it back in... what is the deal. I mean i played it for an hour just fine, then it doesnt want to load it anymore. Is the wiikey 1.9g update just for SMG, or do you think it will help. Please send me some ideas, I am going crazy here!

6. Emjei2k

Emjei2k Regular member

I say try different media dvd. I had problems with some DVDs I originally had, game would play, then disc read error, and so on.
    So I tried the Sony DVD-R and that worked perfectly.

7. goteron

goteron Member

8. rafadawn

rafadawn Regular member

From what you have said it appears that the Media is not the problem.

No way the Verbatims at 4x would give you all these problems. No way the Games would play once and then stop just for media problems.

I have two suggestions:

1) Let's assume that Burning the disc is a problem. Anyway you can set your software to VERIFY the burn?

2) Update your Wii to the latest software. Update your Wiikey to 1.9g. [Maybe this will shake thing up in the right direction.]

3) In the remote case that this is a media problem. read this.

9. goteron

goteron Member

Rafadawn,

Thanks for the help. I have been verifying every burn with IMGburn and never had an issue. I am using a TSSTcorp (Samsung) SH-S162L with the latest firmware, I burn with as little services running as possible. I will update to 1.9g, do you think there could be an install error with the wiikey... I cant imagine so because it plays almost every game at least once... I have tried a few different types of media, and tried the burner on my laptop.

Also, when setting up the Wiikey with the 1.3 disc (Which loads all the time on generic lightscribe discs) I have the drive set to 3X and region over-ride ON. then I select "Reset Console" those settings are then saved correct... Thanks for the help. I am trying to be careful burning so I dont go through all my DVD-r's. Thanks again.

10. goteron

goteron Member

I updated to 1.9g using a GCOS bootdisc to do it, then changed my settings via 1.3 setup to enable region free and change drive speed to 3x. I rebooted the wii, and now the GCOS disc isnt recognized. I imagine I am doing something wrong burning them as they are not recognized every time. Any other suggestions here.. Thanks

11. goteron

goteron Member

Alright, I have about had it. I have gone through about 20 DVD's and every single time it allows me to play the game once (As long as I want, as long as I dont eject it), but once I eject the disc it will not read it again. Using 3.1U, 1.9g Wiikey w/ region free on at 3x speed. Tried 3 different types of DVD's, currently using good Verbatim DVD-R's. Have tried on both TSSTcorp drive listed above and just tried on Matshita UJ-842D in a laptop, both have latest firmware, using latest version of ImgBurn at 4x verifying every time. What the heck am i doing wrong. I know the images are good(At least for one time playing) Im out of different DVD's and different burners. Have tried every combination of burning program, media, speed, etc I can think of. Please help. I dont think a bad wiikey install could cause it, does anyone else think it could? Thanks

12. rafadawn

rafadawn Regular member

It cannot be the burner, the media, or the Wiikey, since the games run at least once.

The only thing I can think of is some problem that happens with the saves on your Wii... try deleting the game saves, or even formatting of formatting the Wii System memory [This option is used to delete ALL Channels and ALL save data that have been added to the Wii console and will wipe the system memory clean, as it was when purchased new. Please note that if you also have a Wii Shop Account, that data should be deleted first (click here for info).

13. blade-1

blade-1 Member

hi there im using ri/tech print able dvd- burning it with nero 6 at 4x i have 64 games at the min and have had no probs cheap discs dont work can any 1 help were is best place to get the games now that demonoid has gone

hope this helps

14. yudiks

yudiks Member

I think it's because of the DVD Burner. I had an old DVD burner that everytime I burn wii games using it, it just won't load in my wii. I have tried it like 10 times or more.

Using my macbook pro's dvd burner and the same software, Nero, and same speed. It worked like a charm in the first trial.

So the best suggestion is for you to burn it in other DVD burner.

15. goteron

goteron Member

Rafadawn,

I formatted the system and still get the same results. I think it is the burner. Its a Samsung OEM lightscribe drive about 1.5 years old. I have tried a laptop drive about the same age... I dont know what the deal is. I will try on a different drive I guess. Any other suggestions. Anyone want to send me a backed up game they are sure works to test it out on. Central Ohio area. Thanks

16. Zorcerer

Zorcerer Member

I Have burned Super Mario Galaxy 4 times allready, beacuse the disc stops working after one play. The strange thing tough is that i can play them after theyve been ejected once, but the second time i play, some sounds are missing from the game, and when i collect a star the game freezes/crashes just when im about to fly back from the level where the star was collected. As im getting deep in the game, this really sucks, and its eating away at my dvd-r`s... But since the discs are flawless and eavenly burned, and since ive tried 3 different disc types (Verbatim DVD+R, Sony and ACT) in 2 different burners (Laptop and Stationary) I Find this very strange...
    Im using a D2C mod with newest firmware, wich is 14 days old.

This can just not be a coinsidence... Maybee Nintendo has made a upgrade wich does this? But really, whats going on here?

After further testing this is what makes the game unplayable, and why it freezez and crashes. When i load the game the second time, all of a sudden the ingame music stops, the sound effects are there, but not the music. Now when i try to enter a new area, the game needs to lad that area and the areas music. This is where the game freezes, and i have to boot my wii since i cant get back to the start screen of the wii either. This has to be an issue of the wii failing too read the music on the dvd. Maybee its a bad/flawed backup in the first place, i dunno? Anyone know how this can be fixed? Im hoping to not have to buy the game again, as my first copy got stolen from me :/

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  17. KingJude

KingJude Member

I NEED HELP!! I have a Wiikey... all the wii firmware updates and wiikey is updated. it plays all games I use AONE DVD-R. But I am not sure if the wii has a problem before or after I updated. But I notice faint lines on my flat screen. I tried my sons CRT TV and i tried his grandparents tv(projection tv). they all display faint vertical red lines..dots if u will..... i thought it was my backups but i tried wii sports and i see them..... i am thinkin of taking out the wiikey and sending it to Nintendo to be fixed...or something but i am not sure what to do about this..could the laser be dirty?? or something?

18. Thinone

Thinone Regular member

19. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

What Thinone said :)

Looks like you need a refresher on the rules - link in my sig.

20. drastic

drastic Member

Hi Goteron - i'm interested if you figured out the problem - was it the DVD burner?

I've had similar problems whereby about 10 ISOs work, sometimes using ImgBurn but mainly using Nero 6, and around 20 ISOs nearly work but ultimately don't - get to a certain load screen, or goes blank at some stage.

Sometimes media A works, sometimes it doesn't - i've successfully and unsuccessfully used around 5 types of media including the best Sony, Verbatim and Imation as well as cheap Magmedia and Australian Post Office - all work sometimes.

My DVD burner is about 2 years old I guess, part of my Acer PC so I have no way of updating the firmware and it has an issue opening the tray but as some ISOs burn fine it's hard for me to blame the burner. Unfortunately it's tricky for me to burn with another burner.

I'm currently using 1.9g with the latest Nintendo update 3.1e but the issue has been intermittent from the beginning.

And all the ISOs are 4589824 KB and when i've done a verify there's been no errors listed so hard to blame the ISO.

I think the issues are widespread - perhaps Nintendos security is better than people credit it, but if you have discovered a solution for you, if it was the DVD burner, can you let me know - cheers