1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Burning with ImgBurn (write speed)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by joshuk21, Apr 8, 2007.

1. joshuk21

joshuk21 Member

i recently enountered a problem with burning discs with decrypter and imgburn. i previously used dvd shrink to shrink the files and then decrypter to burn the back-up. this would always burn at whatever speed i specified in decrypter until recently. now it won't burn faster than 1.8x

i thought maybe it was decrypter so i started using imgburn. nope. still won't burn faster than 1.8x no matter what speed i set it to. anyone know what could be the problem? like i said, never had this problem before. could it have anything to do with dvd shrink or even dvd fabdecrypter?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Almost sure that is what it is (DMA). I had to reset mine for some reason today... Go figure... .. .. .

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Most likely it is a DMA/PIO issue. Whenever your drive encounters "errors" with data transfer, windows decides that it's happening because it is going too fast and slows down the data rate. With each error it drops in speed until you hit PIO mode. If you uninstall the drive in windows and then reboot, it should recognize the drive as new and reset it. Click START>(right click)MY COMPUTER>MANAGE>DEVICE MANAGER Then find your drive in device manager and right click it and select uninstall. Then reboot..... all there is too it.

If this doesn't work then let us know....

*** Edit...***
    Man I'm a little slow on the keyboard....lol

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  5. joshuk21

joshuk21 Member

no, i checked, it's in DMA mode. any other thoughts as to why i use to be able to select the speed for my discs to burn at and now they don't burn faster than 1-1.8x? as far as i know i have not changed any settings or even altered my computer in any way other than uninstalling decrypter and installing imgburn

6. joshuk21

joshuk21 Member

tried uninstalling my drive and letting it reinstall. the drive is definitely in DMA. still won't burn faster than 1.7, 1.8x. i have no idea why the sudden problem

7. joshuk21

joshuk21 Member

ok, i think i know the problem. my iso files are stored on an external hard drive. i've never had problems before when burning the disc but now it's obviously only burning at 1.8x. i checked the DMA issue and it is set to "DMA if available" however, the current transfer mode is set to PIO. can i not change this to DMA or will the drive simply not allow it?

8. joshuk21

joshuk21 Member

one last thing. i'm fairly versed in the workings of computers but this stuff is over my head. i have two IDE drives listed as my primary drive. one is set to DMA if available and the current transfer mode is set to Ultra DMA mode 5. the other drive that is listed as primary IDE is set to DMA if available, however, the current transfer mode is PIO. i tried uninstalling the IDE drives as suggested above but the second IDE drive still reads PIO mode. i appreciate all of your help

9. Gottawin

Gottawin Regular member

Updating your drive's firmware my help the issue . There my be a conflict between the drive and the media that you are using.. .. .

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Check in Device Manager to see if DMA or PIO is on. The Secondary channel usually has the optical drives and the hard drives are on the Primary. Double click the channel and look in Advanced Settings or right click the desired channel and select Properies and look under the Advanced Settings tab. Note current transfer mode. Transfer Mode: is the setting that's desired, not necessarily what the drive is in, that's the Current Transfer Mode. SATA doesn't use DMA.

[​IMG]

#I is the Control Panel. Follow I, II, III. Hard drives on Primary Channel and optical drives on Secondary Channel. Uninstall and reboot to kick drives back into DMA on. After Reboot check to make sure DMA is on. If problems persist, check IDE cables, drives and mobo.
    [​IMG]

11. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

try this then

Uninstall the drivers of the dvd burner first, by doing it the same way you uninstalled the ide controller
    dont reboot
    then uninstall the IDE(primary one that says PIO mode only) controller, and then reboot your system

P.S. you dont have to uninstall the primary IDE controller that says ultra DMA tansfer mode 5(only the other one that says PIO mode

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bowler
    If the channel with the drive in PIO is uninstalled the system automatically picks up the channel and drive when the system reboots with the drive in DMA. That method works when others fail. That's why I suggest it over the others. The only thing that prevents it at that point would be a problem present preventing DMA operation. AS I mentioned, if PIO is still present after trying uninstalling the channel with the drive, it's time to start diagnosis.

13. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

pacman,

edit
    nevermind, as we dont know which guide he/she followed above, bbmayo or zippy's, and i see why you suggested that if he/she followed zippy's instructions

IDE drives
    dont know if that means uninstalled the dvd burner or the ide controller,

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I guess it's in the interpretation. I read it as uninstalling the drives instead of uninstalling the channel the drive was on. As I mentioned, I've seen a number of cases where uninstalling the channel worked when ininstalling the drive didn't. It's not that hard, try one and if it doesn't work try the other.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

ummmm...

My guide did show him/her to un-install the controllers (not the drives) You have to un-install the controllers it won't work the other way...

:)

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

bbmayo
    What is it they say about like minds? ;) We put the same basic info in our guides. I didn't check yours. Since my document was handy I went ahead and posted the info here in the thread.

17. Bigfatboy

Bigfatboy Regular member

just a thought here, do you have a region set on your burner i know this has helped others on different forums

peace

18. joshuk21

joshuk21 Member

pacman, that's my problem. i can't uninstall the secondary channel b/c both my IDE channels are listed as primary. the first "primary" is listed in DMA but the second "primary" is listed as PIO. uninstalling the second did not change it to DMA. i also tried uninstalling the dvd-drives with no luck. any other advice?

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It also depends what's on the channel. If you have SATA drives, DMA and PIO isn't applicable. If you're not familiar, below is a capture showing how to find the channel location of your optical drives. I used a Plextor burner as an example. I expanded DVD/CD_ROM drives, right clicked the drive, and checked the location under the Properties-General tab. Location points out which channel the drive is on in the epanded IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Are your DVD Drives on the channel that's stuck in PIO?

If it's an IDE drive that is in PIO, try using the Troubleshoot feature in the Device Manager to see if that helps any.

[​IMG]

20. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

joshuk21,

Did you try the way i said to do it, in pacmans pic it shows him uninstalling the secondary controller because that is what his burner is using,
    for you, your burner is on a primary so you want to uninstall that one and not the secondary, but try it like i said in my other post.

does your device manager kind of look like mine
    [​IMG]
    edit-i cant speel:)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007