1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem converting downloaded torrent image files to disk

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bference, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bference

bference Member

I have downloaded several movies from various sites and wish to burn them to disk. Am quite familiar with burning and have done it for years. Use DVD Shrink 3.2 normally to back a disk up and then Nero 7.7.5.1 Ultra Burning Rom to do the burning. Usually I have no problems. If I download an already backed up DVD Shrink file I have no problem but usually they come in either an image file or a winrar file format. I wasn't as familiar with the procedure of burning these files but did some research on forms etc.. and think I was doing them correctly yet don't seem to get anything but a coaster in return. With the image files. I simply go to Nero, open up the program and cancel everything until I am able to see just the nero burning rom screen. Then go to recorder, burn image, and locate the image I wish to burn. Then press burn. Everything seems to go fine. No error messages ever. It completes the burn fine yet when I go to play the movie I get an error message saying "unexpected dvd error" and the disk won't play. When I look at it from explorer the files all look complete, If I double click on the video_ts one it opens up and then will show the many other individual files. If I then click on one I can get the movie to start working so I know it is there. It must perhaps be some setting either in Nero maybe that is off or step that I am not getting to convert this image file to a prop dvd to be able to watch automatically. When I tried working with the winrar files I encountered a similar difficulty. I double clicked on one of the first files and it automatically opened up winrar and put the image back together. I built a folder to extract the image file to and pressed extract to. Once it was done I did relatively the same process as above and got the same results again. I know Nero works because we rented a movie last night and I used DVD Shrink to back it up and Nero to burn it and everything was fine. Just seems to be some issue with taking these downloaded image files and/or winrar files that when peiced back together to become image files and burn don't want to work for whatever reason. Have tried with a couple of brands of disks and a couple of different movie to see try and rule out chances of corrupt files and bad disks. Same results. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Hopefully I have provided more than enough information to let you know what I have tried and what I use etc..

2. attar

attar Senior member

Your sure the image files are not in a format that your standalone player cannot use.
    Example would be a PAL image and my player expects NTSC.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  3. bference

bference Member

Good question. I was almost certain that they were ntsc but how do you tell for sure or can you? I usually use extratorrent, thepiratebay, or torrentman to get my torrents. The problem with them is that you cannot tell until it starts downloading what kind of file you are going to get until it starts downloading. IE: You know it is supposed to be either PAL or NTSC but not sure if it is coming as winrar or image or done in DVD Shrink. My preference would be to get them in DVD Shrink because I never have any problem with those but they seem to be rare and like I said you don't seem to be able to choose with most. Demonoid is the only one I see that lets you choose but I beleive you have to be invited to be able to download. But also like I said in my original post, if you go into the disk through explorer or preview the moview on Nero it is there and able to be watched so I don't think it is that now that I think or it. It just doesn't let you auto watch it on either your DVD player on your TV or computer for some reason. Get the error message saying unexpected DVD error.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Do the disks play on the PC and not on the standalone player?
    If they play on the PC, verify that they are the correct format (NTSC or PAL).
    With GSpot http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip you can drag an ISO or a VOB files on to the window and on the right centre there are a row of boxes, one of which will indicate NTSC or PAL.

If they are the correct format, consider burning with another program (IMGBurn is one).

5. bference

bference Member

Actually it seems the opposite. They, for the most part, are playing on my home dvd theatre system but not on my computer. When I try to play them on my computer Nero, who is the default viewer, comes up with an error message saying unexpected DVD error. I am starting to think perhaps some of the fault may be with Nero. In the past I always tested movies by ejecting and then putting back into my dvd player on my computer to see if they either played or self played or self loaded. The only file types that seem to have this problem with are the ones that originated as winrar or image files. DVD Shrink ones are okay. I downloaded DVD Fab Platinum and am trying it for burning a s atest and seem to be having no problems burning right now. Yet when I go to view again, Nero pops up and says unexpected DVD error. This is what is making me think that there is sort of sudden conflict or issue with Nero viewer that wasn't there previously. It only seems to affect certain files types also. Very odd and irritating.