1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Converting SCVD to DVD compliant files

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Villain, May 30, 2003.

1. Villain

Villain Member

I'm not sure where this belongs as it's part of two different things here, but anyway. Ok, I have a bunch of SVCD's here I want to burn on 1 DVD-R. Some are 4 cd-r! So... I read the guide on this site and did everything it said and downloaded spruceup to author the movies. What I wanted to do was be able to place 2 or so movies per DVD-R to save space. I tried loading the .m2v files in SpruceUp and it said something about it not being compliant. So I check doom9 and it says I have to change the mpg to trick the authoring software. I change it to dvd compliant NP. Loaded them in SpruceUp and created menu's etc. Everything worked how it should. Once done, I compiled the project into .vob files and repatched the video with DVDpatcher like doom9 said to do, then I tested the vobs with PowerDVD. The menu's worked perfectly! I started up the second movie and watched awhile, skipping around to test the sync, etc. It was fine. I Tried the second movie and it LOOKED fine for awhile, but then it started freezing. It would freeze for a few seconds and then start playing again about 4 seconds further into the movie. I thought maybe this was just a wierd glitch and no big deal but it does it every so often throughout the entire movie. I assumed I hadn't tested the original .mpg file I worked with and that it was just a bad encoding. Nope, I played the original encoding in PowerDVD and it didn't freeze at all. Apparently it glitched somewhere in the authoring proccess and I have no idea where, or why. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

2. Villain

Villain Member

Ok, I played the m2v video stream in media player and in PowerDVD and it didn't lock up at all. This is obviously a problem with authoring. And the guide here at afterdawn isn't accurate. SpruceUp won't even let you add an mpeg2 480x480 video stream split into an m2v video stream and re-encoded 48,000hz mp2, renamed to mpa without using DVDpatcher from doom9 to change the size to 352x480. After I authored the movie I opened the .vob file with DVDpatcher and changed them back to 480x480 and this fixed the garbled screen, but playback in PowerDVD froze at certain intervals. Every time at the same places. I have checked and rechecked the original MPG and m2v files both several times and they are fine. This authoring program and or method both afterdawn and doom9 doesn't work. Can someone just tell me what software I need to use to author these files? A guide somewhere besides SpruceUP? I hear of people burning SVCDs on DVD-R, so there has to be a way.

3. pharmdr

pharmdr Member

I have been trying to do the same thing as you villian, but I got stumped after spruceup said I had non-complient files. how did you get by that problem and where did you get the info? I have battled with this problem for about three days and I am about to loose my marbles trying to find a way around it.

4. nkuperw

nkuperw Guest

Quick question, when the vidoe freezes, does the audio continue normally? I've noticed that (i dont know how it would happen) but if the frame rate of the audio and video are not the same, then things get mucky upon authoring.

5. pharmdr

pharmdr Member

I have given up with SpruceUp. I have yet to get any good results, so I'm in search of a new authoring tool.

6. c7015

c7015 Regular member

dvd author is good but you have to pay for it you may be able to find a free copy though

or SRT2SUP a4.02 never tried ti though give it a shot and post back on what you find

Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  7. DJBenz

DJBenz Member

I know it's time consuming, but I always re-encode SVCD MPEG's to DVD Compliant ones with TMPGEnc before I try authroing with Spruce Up. It has no problems importing them then.

DJ