1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem getting ps2 to read disc...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by aya88, May 12, 2007.

1. aya88

aya88 Member

I burned an iso file of a japanese game using dvd decrypter. I used a tdk dvd+r to burn the file. When I put it in my ps2 (which is mod) it won't read it. For some reason, every japanese ps2 game I've burned (I've tried 3 games so far) my ps2 won't read it, but it reads backed up ps1 games. For the ps1 games, I use tdk cd-r. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

2. schweet

schweet Guest

Try using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

TDK doesn't work for a lot of people, and even if it does it's not a good idea to use it anyway as TDK is poor quality media and puts extra stress on your PS2 laser, thus shortening it's life.

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Unless your TDKs code out to be some sweet expletive RICOHJPNs and have absolute near perfect results you can get also from Taiyo-Yudens and Verbatims, use Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs or Verbatim 16x/8x DVD+Rs for much better results. Also, don't forget updating the firmware on your burner to obtain better results and performance from your burner. The failure to boot using a standard TDK DVD+R or CMC MAG is relatively high compared to a game burnt on a Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disc like the previous poster has mentioned.

And about the TDK CD-Rs. They're actually pretty good but TDK DVDs are a mixed reaction from me. TDK does some outsourcing, mainly the CMC MAGs, but they do give you 10x better results than Memorex CMC MAGs; however, both CMC MAGs from both brands are horrendous. (CMC MAGs as in media id)

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  4. RSquirrel

RSquirrel Member

How about Sony and Phillips 8x dvds? How do those hold up for quality and reliability?

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Sony DVDs are ok. Phillips are ridiculously bad. It's been so long since I've used one, like 7 years ago, but I think they're as good as Fujifilm, which isn't saying much I suppose. And what PS2 are you trying to use your Sony DVDs for? Is your Sony DVDs DVD+R or DVD-R? Does it matter? Yes. Depending on what PS2 you have, you're better using DVD-Rs for the older generation of fat PS2s because the laser reads DVD-Rs extremely better than DVD+Rs, compatibility and affinity are top-notch when using DVD-Rs for most fatties, and you can easily save a good 15 dollars or so on every Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-Rs you purchase compared to spending a little extra on Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+Rs. If I had to choose, between Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs and Sony DVD+Rs, I'd easily pick Taiyo-Yuden over Sony without a second thought. The quality change is immense and beautiful burn results literally you can get from a TY disc compared to using a Sony.

Am I'm being bias? Well, it's hard to agree or agree to disagree for that matter. Having used both brands, I immediately saw the difference when I thought my Lite-On burner was dead burning bad discs with Memorex making data cds before I knew of Taiyo Yudens. Since then, after learning of TYs, it's so hard to go back. As far as archiving stuff goes, I rather stick my money with some TYs and Sonys. I use Ritek on occasion since my TDKs luckily code out as RICOHJPNs, and I have near perfect results you could also get from a Sony D11 instead of using a CMC MAG F01 from the same TDK brand you may also get in a bundle with RICOHJPNs sometimes. It depends on your luck I suppose.