1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem in both Decrypter and Shrink, Unrecovered Read Error?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Brem4050, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Brem4050

Brem4050 Member

Hi there, I seem to have a strange problem and although I belive I know the problem, I wanted to come here and ask everyone at these forums before I went and messed everything up. I just started burning DVD+R's this weekend and everything was going fine and dandy until I tried to make a backup, from a backup.

When I insert the dvd, decrypter gives me the error I/O error, and below it says "unrecoverabled read error". I thought this strange as the dvd was brand new and had literally just made it the day before. At first I had thought it was just the one dvd, until I started to investigate by trying the other dvd's I burned and got the same error. The DVD's are Memorex X4 with the purple bottom, I'm suspecting this is the problem as I googled them and have heard they aren't very good at all! Although everything else seems fine about them, they play in my dvd player fine, its just when I try to copy the files from the burn't dvd.

If anyone has some advice or help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

-Al

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey brem4050, This is a typical reason why memorex are not recommended. Also a high quality burner helps.

When trying to re-rip a backup,like I do a lot of, That original backup disc should be on high quality media and burn speed under 4x. I use nero express disc copy feature and 15 mins,have an identical copy with no playability issues.

Looks like memorex suckered you,don't worry, many people have been screwed by them.

I like to try different brands and formats of name brand media. Memorex is not one of them,lol

I test them like: maxing out their speed and re-ripping and seeing how many errors are on them and how well they play. I only buy good media.I even re-ripped from a re-rip with no problems.GOOD MEDIA

Download the the free version of this handy program: http://dvdinfopro.com

It will tell you the manufacturers code and has a program to scan your backups for errors.Some members having trouble downloading it,but ignore the expiration warning and download it anyways.

Dvd decrypter will tell us that code also,like: cmc/prodisc/etc. This will tell us which ones you got.

If buying media in a store,try maxell's. If buying them on the web,try taiyo yudens,ritek,or verbatim data life plus.

3. Brem4050

Brem4050 Member

Thanks at ton for your responce, so your pretty sure its my media then? Because even if I brute force rip it, it only gets to about 30ish percent and then doesn't do anything.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Have you tried to get that manufacturing code on those memorex?

You ripped with brute force, did you set dvd decrypter for,"Ignore all read errors" also.