1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem loading comp

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by duboy1, Apr 24, 2005.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

I have a windows 98 comp, and it seems the hard drive fails to load after a power outtage occurred in my house. It comes to the "os wont load" screen. Right before that screen, you physically hear the hard drive loading, like powering on, and then it suddenly turns off. I checked on a win98 boot disc that the hard drive wasnt present, and it surely wasnt. So is the hard drive dead and not worth trying anything else, or is there a simple fix to this? Thanks!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try it in another computer as master & in safe mode so it doesn't see new devices

3. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Well, i just loaded it up fine with another comp in safe mode. The hard drive didnt shut off. So, do you know why it isnt loading completely with the original comp(which it is an HP comp), or how i can get it to work? Thanks!

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

hmm...i'm not much of an expert in this area...lol, ddp knows far more than i, but the first thing i'd do is reseat the battery on the motherboard to clear the bios and reset it. from there, i'd double-check all the connections in the pc (better safe than sorry) and give it a go again. best of luck to you.

*edit* also, i'd recommend trying a different IDE cable. i suffered from one dying recently, and it was quite a mess until it occurred to me as the cable being the route of the trouble. if you get bored and want to try a little more, you could hook the hard drive up to the other IDE controller (you most likely have two) and seeing if the OS will load then.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  5. ddp

reseat all ram, cards & cables. try a different psu. check on the motherboard that the capacitors(cans) are flat topped & not domed!!

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

ah, so i was along the right lines...cool..

7. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

thanks for all the help, ill try it soon and reply with the results.

8. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok, well before i was going to check everything and reset the stuff, i tried the ide cable cause it sounded logical to do first since it was the easiest. So i tried it with the original and a new ide cable and it did the same thing... turned on then off. so i figured to try a working hd from my other comp and then it booted up fine, without turning off the hd. So before i was goign to check everything, i figured to reply this and hope you have a more definate answer. Also, if i do have to reset everything, what exactly do you mean, just unplug and plug back in? so summary is, orig hd works with other comp... another hd works with broken comp. Any solution? Thanks for all the help so far!

9. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

ok, well before i was going to check everything and reset the stuff, i tried the ide cable cause it sounded logical to do first since it was the easiest. So i tried it with the original and a new ide cable and it did the same thing... turned on then off. so i figured to try a working hd from my other comp and then it booted up fine, without turning off the hd. So before i was goign to check everything, i figured to reply this and hope you have a more definate answer. Also, if i do have to reset everything, what exactly do you mean, just unplug and plug back in? so summary is, orig hd works with other comp... another hd works with broken comp. Any solution? Thanks for all the help so far!

10. ddp

yes, unplug & replug all cables. alos go into the bios to see if it sees the hd properly

11. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Well if you only mean the cables and no internal parts, i unplugged and replugged them in already before the process of swapping harddrives and it didnt work with the orig hard drive. And in the bios with the orig hd in, the hard drive shuts off before it enters the bios and it just says none in the slot of the master1. That is if you mean enter setup once the comp loads with f1 or f2, i forget, because that is what i did. So what else should i do please? Thanks!

12. ddp

try the hd on the secondary ide port to see if does same thing

13. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

didnt work.. anything else? Thanks!

14. ddp

see if there is a bios update for the motherboard

15. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Just go to the hp site and see if it is there correcT? and then load it after bios setup from the startup?
    -hp-brand i should say

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  16. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

there is no update for my bios at the HP site. any other suggestions?

17. ddp

what are the 2 sizes of the hds

18. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

my good hd is 40 gb and the one not working properly is 13gb

19. ddp

which is the better computer?

20. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

well the 40 gb one, but the thing is i wanted to get this one fixed. If you were trying to say to put one of the drives a slave, i tried taht and it didnt wokr in the bad comp. But i know it would in the good comp. But i kind of wanted both comps to work. Just do you have any other suggestions please?

- i dont want you sitting here and waitin for a reply from me, so i was going to tell you i have to go and i should be on later, so if you could just tell me things to do, i would appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005