1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem merging MPEG-2 (SVCD) Files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by chrissy_b, Oct 31, 2004.

1. chrissy_b

chrissy_b Guest

I have recently downloaded a movie and have the bin and cue files.

Now what i want to do is join the MPEG-2 files and put them onto a DVD.

I have extracted the mpeg-2 files from the bin using ISO Buster.

I now need to join them. I have used Womble and TMPGenc and still come across the same problem. I manage to join them and when i play the file back the following happens;

Where the two parts join it seems to skip back. It will play the last part of the first file again before it carrys on. It does not flow straight through. Does anyone know whats wrong and anything i might be doing that i shouldn't? Or is there another method or program to use? I have thought about turning the two MPEG-2 files into AVI and joining them and then burning the AVI to DVD.

I hope you understand what is happening because it's hard to explain.

Many thanks in advance.

Chris.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, I supposed the MPEG-2 have been converted from 'riff file' to ' true mpeg' first (AVSEQ01.MPG is NOT a True MPEG).
    This might be the problem.
    Sorry, I never merge MPEG-2 files because I watch movies and only 40' of movie fit into a CD. But for MPEG-1 files TMPGenc is OK, by choosing 'MPEG-1 Video-CD' as Type.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  3. chrissy_b

chrissy_b Guest

What i do is open it with ISO buster. Right click on the file which is "AVSEQ01.MPG" and go to "Extract but FILTER only M2F2 Mpeg frames" and that's it. Are you saying that it isnt a true mpeg and i have to do something else first?

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sorry, I never use Isobuster.
    To keep thing clear and simple, use VCDGear and do in the left manu "cue/bin --> mpeg".
    After that, the E:\MPEG2\AVSEQ01.MPG (E: is the image) will become a 'true mpeg' (e.g. video1.mpg).
    Repeat with the 2nd movie (e.g. video2.mpg).
    After that, just use TMPGenc's File__MPEG Tools___merge & cut and merge, choosing as 'type', "MPEG-2 Super Video-CD(VBR)", the 2 mpeg-2s, but I don't know if to deal with MPEG-2s you need a registered version of TMPGenc.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Read forum rules!
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  5. chrissy_b

chrissy_b Guest

Okay thanks. I'll give it a go and let you know.

Cheers.

6. barcourt

barcourt Member

hi after using iso buster to "extract but filter only M2F2 mpeg frames" use dvd santa to burn just put both extracted files in dvd santa and it burns purfect every time hope it helps

7. chrissy_b

chrissy_b Guest

I have DVD Santa but the problem i find is when i play it on my DVD player, the film seems to stutter slightly.

8. chrissy_b

chrissy_b Guest

I tried that method Aldaco and the same thing happened? Could it be the files that are faulty?

9. manyone

manyone Member

the person who made the original encoding decided to start part2 a few frames before the end of part1 (ie. not at exact cut off) - hence the movie seems to "slip back" - actually, it's repeating some frames. (this way you don't lose any part of the movie). if you want to be exact, you can edit the original avi's by using virtualdub and its editing functions to mark the exact place where you want part2 to start - then you have to re-encode. or you can use similar editing functions inside tmpgenc to select the exact starting frame from the mpg. (see the "range" button). the original encoder provided this slight overlap for your convenience.