1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem playing backups

Discussion in 'PS2' started by TheGameX, Jan 8, 2005.

1. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

I'm trying to get my backups to work before buying a swap top. Right now I'm trying to get it working with a gameshark 2 v2. Anyways I've tried making a copy of rainbow six 3 twice now - once with Nero and once with DVD Decrypter. So I take my cover off of my ps2 and the screws out of the cd cover as well. I boot up my gameshark 2 v2 disc -> start game without codes. Then I pull my cd cover off, swap the disc with the backup, then hit x. It spins the disc around very slowly and makes a clicking sound like it's trying to find the file that tells it what to do next and then it just stops and doesn't do anything.

Any ideas?

I'm using duraband dvd-r and I believe my ps2 is version 4...its scph 30001 r i think

2. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

any ideas??

3. vonoven

vonoven Member

after you put the burnt game in, are you placing the black tray cover back on top of the whole disc tray? Because if it's not secure in there or there is too much room for play it won't work.

4. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

Yea i found that out pretty quick. But yea I've tried it with the cd cover screwed back on and I still get the same thing.

5. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Are you refreshing the TOC size before you boot the backup? Using GS v2 you only get a minimal TOC size, try putting in a large game like Devil May Cry to refresh TOC size. If you have questions about how to do this, just ask. I used to boot via GS V2.
    Ludikhris

6. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

No I've not tried that...I've read something about it though. What is TOC size? Just the amount of data on the disc? How do I refresh it like you are talking about?

7. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Ok lets see if I can remember the menus and such. On my PS2 the GS V2 wont even boot cause V9 are programmed not to play them.

Boot GS until it gets to the menu screen where you pick where you are supposed to select what you are doing.

At that screen press the eject button on the PS2 and switch to an original game that has a large TOC. (you can find a TOC size list on here if you search the forums I bet to see which games are how big) Ok once the original is in wait for roughly 30secs.

After 30secs has passed go to the screen where it says "please insert game and press X" or something like that. At this screen swap the high TOC game for the backup. Press X. BOOM your done.

TOC is baisically a read of game size. The Gameshark v2 is VERY small so you really cant boot anything from it (only CD based games). A few games that work well for people are Final Fantasy X (over 4gb), any GTA, or Devil May Cry. Chaos legion is huge too you could try that. People make lists of the TOC size of all games but if you want to find out for yourself just stick a PS2 game in your PC and right click the drive under "my computer" that will tell you the disc size. Games such as Xenosaga and Champions of Norrath are double layer discs (DVD9) and dont work normally for refreshing TOC size. Good luck and if you need more info let me know so I can point you somewhere where someone explains it better.

TOC size must be as big or bigger than the backup game you are booting or the PS2 realizes something funky is going on and freezes. Its been my experience that sometimes games that are just barely smaller than the backup may work too.

Ludikhris

8. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

I eject the disc at the first screen and replace it with San Andreas. Then after waiting for at least 30 seconds I go to start game w/o codes. The only problem is that San Andreas is still spinning...? Should I have swapped it back to the gameshark before I got to that screen?

9. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

At the screen where you are supposed to switch discs it should stop spinning. If it does not then you are using Gameshark's new version and not version 2. In which case you cant swap with it. You have to have version 2 gameshark.

A good tactic to check if the game has stopped spinning is to stick a credit card or something like that in the top of the disc tray and lightly angle it down to see if the disc rubs the card. you can tell if its spinning or not.

The screen on gameshark that you swap at is the last screen there is before you would normally boot the game. On a version 2 gameshark the disc stops spinning there.

10. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

Well it's definately a version 2 gameshark...or so it says on the disc. I read on about how to use a no sauder mod chip and it sounds exactly like what you're explaining to me. I don't have any mod chips yet...I was kinda avoiding getting one.

But I think it's just where I'm swapping. Here's the process:
    -Press eject button and insert gameshark 2 v2 disc
    -At the screen that says "Start Game, Gameshark Codes, Memore Manager, DVD Movie Player, Options" I press the eject button, put in San Andreas, and press the eject button again to close the tray.
    -Wait 30+ seconds
    -Go to start Game
    -A screen comes up and says with or without codes.
    -I select without codes and end up at the "Insert game disc then press x to continue screen". San Andreas is still spinning.

11. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

I would say there is something fishy about your GS disc.... mine stopped spinning at that point.... Does it stop spinning when you dont put San Andreas in? It just sounds bizzare that it doesnt stop spinning. Is the GTA SA an original game or a backup?

Ludikhris

12. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

San Andreas is an original. Could it possibly be the type of discs I'm using (duraband 4.7 gb 4x write speed)? But that shouldn't affect San Andreas not spinning up...

Would codebreaker work? I have a friend that has that. I just want to get it working before I go out and spend $50 on a swap top and swap magic discs.

I also tried booting DVD Loader without refreshing the TOC and it does the same as my game backup.

Should I be selecting with codes or something? Thanks for your help so far though.

13. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Try using a different disc to refresh TOC size, its possible that there is something funky about that particular disc. Also you might try letting it sit for longer than 30secs, let it sit for a couple minutes or something before you go the boot screen. If neither of those work..... im stumped.

I did have mine keep spinning a few times but that was because I hadnt let it run long enough. Definitly try letting it run for a couple minutes, then try a new disc for TOC.

Ludikhris

14. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

Well I tried gran turismo 3 and left it in there for a few minutes...still didn't stop spinning though.

Anyways with the swap magic disc do you have to refresh the toc size?

15. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

Anyways with the swap magic disc do you have to refresh the toc size?

16. Ludikhris

Ludikhris Guest

Nope. SM needs no TOC refreshing. Let me just assure you that with a SM card you will be able to play backups. It has worked for countless people Ive set up at least 3 consoles myself including a tape mod PSTWO. It will work. Just use good media Ritek 4X or Tayo Yuden. Do an exact copy, and follow the Swap Magic guides available here and everywhere. Simple as breathing.

Ludikhris

~ well maybe not as simple as breathing, took me about 4 hours to figure out how to swap with a gameshark the first time, long complicated story, but I learned the trick. Swap Magic is about as easy as breathing though.

17. TheGameX

TheGameX Member

Thanks for all the help! I'm gonna put in my order for some swap magic discs today. Any suggestions on where to buy them from? It seems www.linker4u.com has some good prices.