1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem playing burned dvd's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by je1972, Mar 4, 2007.

1. je1972

je1972 Member

i am at a loss here.

my problem is that some of my dvd's work in my dvd player and some do not. i know that some older dvd's have problems, but i am using the same media.

i used the same media(either +R or +RW), and i use the same method of burning, ripit4me (one click method). as a matter of fact i did some of them in the same sitting.

some movies, will NOT play in my dvd player, but will play in my ps3 and on the computer.

one movie will get to the fbi warning and such and then stop before going further, but again, it will play in the ps3 and computer.

the others work fine in all my dvd players.

also one movie that DID work in my dvd player, i tried it on a different dvd player(new dvd/vcr recorder) and a screen pops up that says disc need to be initialized.....won't that erase everything?! and i already played it on another dvd player and it worked fine.

i just don't understand why the confusion, when i did not change any settings or anything on the ripit4me...and like i said they were all done on the same media on the same day.

thanks for any help.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the brand name and model# of your burner?

What's the brand name and speed rates of your plus format media? Mid codes would be better-so here's a free program that'll give that info:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

It sounds like a compatability issue-when certain drives won't recognize backups,while others will. See if there's a pattern to the +RWs giving you more trouble than the +r. Media quality can varry between them,which the MID codes will tell us.

Plus R and Plus RW are 2 entirely different formats. The RW format is trickier on drives.

Same goes for the Dash format.

Have you tried the Dash format?

Media quality another factor,plus if there's a lot of compression,burned to outer edge of disc,burned too fast,burned too slow,paper/sticker labels and a dozen more things that can cause that issue.

Booktyping those plus format discs would be your best option,depending on what burner you have. It's also called bitsetting,which changes the plus format to dvd-rom,giving a higher compatability rate.

If your drive doesn't have booktyping capability,then the dash format should work better-for stand alone player compatability.

Let us know the answer to those questions.

3. je1972

je1972 Member

i have downloaded the program you suggested, but not sure what info you want here.

so i'll try to post something here that may help.

the first disc that won't work is this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-RW:CMCW03]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD-RW] - [DVD-RW]
    Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [CMCW03]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    [ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

i realize now that the first couple are -RW, but this one works fine:

i think this is giving the same info, just as to what type of disc i am using....

but this disc works in my old dvd player, but in the new one it is asking me to initialize the disc:

all of those were made on the same day, right after another, using the ripit4me, one click method.

this disc also does NOT play in my old dvd player:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
    Media Type ID : [003]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

yet this one does:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
    Media Type ID : [003]
    Product Revision : [Not Specified]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

again, these were made on the same sitting, right after each other.

as for my dvd burner it is a liteon model :SHM-165H6S04C

i don't know if this is what you asked for, or if it will help with my problems, but that for trying to help.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

ok this brand (Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]) will cause you problems thats what most memorex code out as

this brand (Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.] is good thats the code of Verbatim which is top notch media.

the DVD plus R media will not play on some older dvd players you can booktype to DVD-ROM to help playback compatiblty or use the DVD dash R format

use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim and burn NO FASTER THAN 8X MAX !!! on a clean machine with updated firmware for your drive

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007
  5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Don't trust cmag media,either format,or either R or RW.

MCC-003 is some very good media,verbatim +8x. Your litey should have bittsetting capability to booktype them to dvd-rom,therefore cheating stand alone players into thinking they are dvd-rom format,the most universal of all formats.

Only the plus format can be booktyped: +R/+RW/and +R DL.

Here's the utility and you'll want to set it up for +R media and set it to DVD-Rom and try a few of those MCC-003 verbs:

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_utility.htm

Lets see if that helps with your picky players recognizing those backups after they are booktyped. You can't do this to your dash RW media.

Notice in those pastings of dvdidentifier where it says:[bold]Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R][/bold] That backup isn't booktyped. After successfully booktyping them,the right part will say DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R.

6. je1972

je1972 Member

thank you both for all the valuable info.

from reading other posts i know the verbatim are one of the best, that is why i use those, the other were just some left overs i had and for movies that i wasn't even sure i wanted to keep.

i guess my biggest question is, even with the verbatim, why does the one work and the other doesn't? its the same disc, same settings, done at the same time....that is what has me confused.

and the one that actually starts to play the fbi warnings and then just stops, what is up with that??? on this disc in particular, when in the dvd player it starts with the warnings, then stops. in the ps3 it goes right to the menu, then when the movie starts, then the warnings appear. i don't understand why they show up in different sequence like that.

**i know this is off topic, but is there a way to just delete the fbi warnings and previews, instead of just changing them to still images? through ripit4me of course, since that is all i am familiar with using right now.

i didn't know if by taking out some of the chapter/titles (by changing them to either still images or pictures) if that could screw up the playability.

also the link you provided, will that work in ripit4me to change the booktyping to dvd-rom? all the time? i thought i did that somewhere in the settings before, but don't know where, and like you said it is NOT showing that those are booktyped that way.

thanks again!

7. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

VobBlanker can do that. it even corrects the structure and blanks out all fake cells too.

Here is a basic GUIDE for VOBblanker made by Alkohol(big thanks to alkohol)
    who got me started with VoBblanker,
    needless to say i don't backup a movie without it, yep i'm addicted to it.

BTW, if u are thinking of using this program then u dont have to run the FixVTS part of RipIt4me as they do the same thing.

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I use dvd shrink and backup main movie only,even setting frame start/stop to cut out more BS.

Quicker backup process time,less compression,and should yield a better looking playback.

Whenever a player encounters: Freezing/Pixellation/skipping/Jumping/and even some No disc errors-It means there's something wrong your backup disc or the drive that shows those issues has a dirty laser lens-after verifying which drive is showing those issues.

Dvd-rw drives should play their own backups,using the pc and they should look near original in quality.After that,the stand alone players factor in. Here's some of the things that can be the culprit of those issues:

1)Burn speed-too fast/too slow-depending on media quality
    2)Backup target size- Keep below 4360 mbs with quality media,4300 mbs with crap media.Again,media quality is the factor.
    3) Paper/sticker labels: Major no-no. If placing these labels on your discs,peel them off and try playing them.
    4)Burner quality-There are variations between burners. Some drives are very good,some are total crap. Also firmware update may be needed.I've used 9 burners and there's a huge quality difference,and the difference shows up during playback or when trying to re-rip a backup for another copy.
    5) Burn engine-Try another
    6)Compression- Keep to a minimum
    7) No multi-tasking during dvd backup process
    8)Keep harddrive/s defragged
    9) Dirty laser lens on the drive at fault,after troubleshooting all those possibilities. Run a cleaning disc,but it is a last resort,before replacement.
    10) Format of media,R/RW/R DL: There's a total of 6 different burning formats and some players will have trouble with them. R's are the easiest for them to read. RW's and R DL's are trickier. RW's are nice to practice with,but will yield lower stand alone player compatability. Booktyping the plus format to dvd-rom would be the best option.
    11) Certain MID coded media: All media is not alike. Some brands outsource their media to many different manufacturers. Here's a good example:

Maxell -4x: Ty-G02/ Ritek-G03/Mxl-Rg03. A total of 3 different manufacturers for the same exact maxell -4x yellowtops. Same goes for HP,Memorex,Sony,Philips,Fuji,etc. You may get a good manufacturer on 1 spindle,then a crappy manufacturer on the next spindle. You may have pefect results with those ty yellowtops,but poor results-playback-with the Ritek yellowtops.Check out dogbomb's media code sticky on the top of the dvd+/-r media forum and you'll how those codes change.

Any of those culprits can give a picky stand alone player fits. Quality media like verbatim and taiyo yuden narrows down the list.There's players that don't like them as well.