1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem playing PS2 backup cd-r's

Discussion in 'PS2' started by xerofyre, Nov 20, 2004.

1. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

I use the slide card trick with gameshark 2 and I followed Oner's guide for everything. I copied the demo cd of Metal Gear Solid 2 using Alcohol, and I did everything I was supposed to and after I pressed X there was a black screen for like 5 minutes, and then the please insert a ps2 disk message came up. What could I possibly be doing wrong?

2. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

I read all the rules and it didn't say anything about double posting so:

umm I tried burning a playstation disk this time with alcohol, and it didn't work either, and this time I didn't burn "on the fly" like I did last time. But when I was picking playstation for the datatype then it said something like this burner does not support exact copy something or other, but when I kept trying, it eventually let me burn it as a playstation datatype. So I'm confused and kinda sad.

3. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

Which version is your gameshark?

Is it Gameshark 2 Version 3/4 (this one if for the PS2) or Gameshark Version 2 (this one is for the PS1)

Does your Gameshark auto-eject the tray?

4. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

it doesn't auto-eject...

its for ps2 its a Gameshark 2 but I don't know which version....how would I check?

5. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

if it doesnt auto eject then ur fine, so here's how u would fix this problem:

1. insert gameshark
    2. select start game
    3. select without cheats
    4. swap for cdloader (you can get it from http://www.swapmagicfix.com)

THEN FOR CD:
    5. insert high TOC CD disk
    6. swap for backup cd
    7. press x to play

THEN FOR DVD:
    5. Insert high TOC DVD disk
    6. Press X when the screen says so
    7. It wont boot but the screen will now change to something saying about a DVDR and the EA Method
    8. Swap for DVD backup
    9. Press X to play

6. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

wow that's a lot more work than what was in Oner's guide, but its not impossible.

ok a few questions, the game I backed up isn't on the list on that website, does that matter?

and also which version of cdloader should I use? just in case I burned the original and v7 since most of those seemed to use that....

and lastly, how would I know if a game is a high TOC disk, I read somewhere on Oner's guide that to boot dvds you need an original game that has a bigger file size than your backup, which I'm assuming the original is what you call a high TOC disk, but how would I know if the game has a bigger file size than my backup?

thank you for all your help!
    it's greatly appreciated.

7. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

ehh a bit of a problem.....it didn't work

I put in my gameshark disk, I went to start game, without codes, used my slide tool, then I put in cdloader, and I pressed X, and the same thing happened. Please insert a playstation 2 or playstation disk.

I proceeded then in doing the same thing, with my burned copies of cdloader v7, swap magic, and dvdloader 7. The same thing happened all the time.

what happened? :(

(also the hard drive light kinda flickered when the cdrs were trying to boot, probably means nothing, but thats kinda weird I think)

8. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

no it doesnt matter if it isnt on the list because u need cdloader for another purpose anyways.

use the cdloader that matches the version of your ps2

CDLOADER (v1-6), CDLOADER V7 ALL or CDLOADER BETA 5.2 (for V7+)

To find out the file size of the game, put the game into a DVD or CD (depending on what game you're trying to check) drive on the computer and then (u most likely know this) right click on the drive and click on properties to see the file size for the original. Be sure it is bigger than the backup (u can check the backup the same way).

BTW, what version ps2 do u have because it some ps2's dont work with the gameshark method i believe.

EDIT: I checked Oner's method and realized something:

When swapping for a CD backup you can directly swap without cdloader if the backup's TOC size is less than Gameshark's (check on the computer)

DVD is still the same

EDIT 2: If none of this is working, you can sell your Gameshark (if u only wanted to use it for backups that is) and get Swap Magic

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  9. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

I have a version 7, but my version 7 cdloader didn't work, maybe I should try that beta thing....

or maybe I'll just get swap magic......I actually bought the gameshark like a really long time ago for codes, and haven't used it in like years, and I never thought I would use it again until I recently got a computer that has a cd/dvd burner.

well I'll try the beta, and if it doesn't work I'll get swap magic....

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  10. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

post here to tell what the results were!

another problem might be that u r using bad quality media ( what media r u using)

11. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

wow I think I only have like 1 or 2 blank cds left.....

anyways I was checking out swap magic, and it seems good but I don't like how it won't work with ps1 backups

do you know of a no-solder modchip that will allow me to play ps2 and ps1 backups (cds and dvds) and is really easy to use?

12. yugioh2me

yugioh2me Regular member

a no solder mod for V7 that plays ps1/2.........

i dont think there is any, but you can get swap magic 3.3 if you wait till the 29th of november and if u want to play your ps1 backups, you can get breaker pro.

13. xerofyre

xerofyre Regular member

ok then, i'll probably do that, thank you for all the info