1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Playing Ps2 Games

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by xfer85, Jun 7, 2007.

1. xfer85

xfer85 Member

I was burning a game , the iso version of the game, onto my dvd-r disc. When i tried playing, it shows me the page where i can edit my 2 memory card, without showing the Playstation 2 logo, and at other times, it'll show me "please insert a ps2 format disc" on a red screen.

Any idea what i did wrong?

2. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

What game is it?
    What kind of discs are you using? (what brand)
    What do you use to boot up the games?
    What's your PS2 version?

Check the topic in the bald print for more help.

3. xfer85

xfer85 Member

The game is Need for Speed Carbon.
    Disc im using is dvd-r, imation (brand).
    What do you mean by boot up the game?

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What he means by "boot up the game" is do you have any sort of modification, whether it's the Swap Magic disc set, a mod-chip, the use of exploits or whatever else in booting this burnt copy of Need for Speed Carbon you are trying to play. IF you don't have any of the above that I listed, you need to obtain such and such before you can play backed-up games or imports for that matter. As for imation disc, what's the media ID for it? Check here. I haven't had much experience nor have I had any good experiences using imation DVD-rs, but I highly recommend you either use Sony, Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs as DVD media that are of high quality and top-tier for better results, performance and reliability although personally I just recommend Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim.

5. xfer85

xfer85 Member

Brand : Imation
    LAST KNOWN MANUFACTURERS : ptodisc, CMC
    PREVIOUS MANUFACTURERS : Mitsubishi, Ritek, Ritek, Fujifilm, Ricoh, Moser Baer

That appears to be the only information i've on imation. Theres no sign on media id anywhere in the site.

How can i know if mines a mod-chip set? I dont have anything else, and i just burn the iso of the game, Need for speed, to the disc with the slowest speed on an imation disc, and tried playing it.

6. orthogonl

orthogonl Regular member

You can check the for the Media ID using DVD Decrypter. Insert the blank disc into your drive, open DVD Decrypter and look for the Media ID entry in the right pane. Using quality media as stated by Z3120, will produce higher quality burns--bad media is usually the culprit when people encounter problems such as skipping and freezing.

Some type of modification is required to play PS2 backups, either a modchip, using a hard drive & HDLoader, or via swap method (Swap Magic / PS2 Independence Exploit).

To reiterate, if you have not modified or bought a PS2 that has been previously modified you will not be able to play backups. One of those options it to install a modchip in your PS2, which is essentially a device that removes the manufacturer's imposed restrictions. Modchips do this by replicating the authentication signal that is normally sent by the PS2's drive hardware when an authorized game disc is present, causing the BIOS to believe that a copied disc is an original and allow you to boot it.

With that said, from your apparent ignorance of whether or not you have a chipped PS2, I can safely guess that you do not.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  7. xfer85

xfer85 Member

This is Fullmark's DVD-RW.

This is imation's DVD-R.

Btw, i just called my brother who bought this PS2 5 years back. He told me its modified. So it must be the method i used which is wrong, or the disc i am using is inferior. Would you be able to tell from the information above?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  8. xfer85

xfer85 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the two types of disc im using, the rw one is fullmark's, while the other is imation.

Im currently using LG's 18x Super Multi DVD Rewriter if this info helps.

9. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What mod-chip is in your PS2 then? As for your imation disc, don't use those. Those are bad quality media and if you choose to still use them, then it's your fault if there end up being repercussions presented in your PS2 a few months from now depending on how often you play with your PS2 and how long. Try switching to Sony or Verbatim since you can obtain those at a nearby store easily. Verbatim might be harder to find though because from my knowledge, those are usually labeled under another brand but the media ID codes out to them. As for what I use personally, I use 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs but considerng you have a fat PS2, Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs are the way to go. About the media ID for your imation disc, CMC MAGs are generally bad in most cases and knowing the media ID of that disc only helps me to say that it's a bad media brand, and you should switch it for the top-tier brands like Verbatim, Sony, Taiyo Yuden, Maxell and Ritek.

10. xfer85

xfer85 Member

Ok thx, very straight forward assistance there ;)

Not sure whats my mod chip tho, its already done before its purchased and we didnt bother to ask.

I'll be getting one of the better media class later, so dvd-r for my fat 5 year old ps2?

11. OmriSama

OmriSama Regular member

12. xfer85

xfer85 Member

Ok got it thx. Btw, does the speed of the disc matter? I realise alot of you are mentioning "8x Taiyo Yuden". So 8x is better than 16x?

13. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

I personally prefer using and buying 8x or below DVD+Rs because if you're lucky enough, whether you're buying Sony or TDK DVD+Rs from the store like Frys or Bestbuy, you might be lucky enough to get Taiyo Yuden and Ritek DVD+Rs instead respectively, which I have been lucky to get from time to time, but I haven't gotten it down to an artform where I can see it right off the bat sadly.

I say get 8x or below DVD-Rs in your case because it's not like your PS2 can read 16x disc any better but worse actually at times if you have a keen eye for things when you compared a 16x DVD to a 8x DVD. I've actually tried a few 16x Verbatim, but they were mainly to my dislike, and besides, I had steimy and hursty over here suggesting I downgrade the speed when I first started and haven't had any problems ever since. If you compare your originals to your burnt copies, I found the 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs I've been using nearly duplicate the results of the original or even exceeds the performance of a few of my badly conditioned games.

Anyway, the reason why I keep saying 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs is because DVD+Rs are mainly for my v15 slim PS2 which cannot read DVD-Rs at all; hence, why I've settled for using DVD+Rs. So your old fatty should be fine reading DVD-Rs since I believe a majority here have been using DVD-Rs for them. Also, I go by the rule of thumb when burning. I burn either at half the speed or even full speed depending on the disc and follow the sticky within the PS2 DVD Backup section closely. With modern burners nowadays, I don't think burning as slow as possible helps like at 1x or 2x off a 16x disc. All I know is, for those who spend that much time burning, I can easily burn at about 6x to 8x and get nearly identical results from my originals. But different results for different people right? So yeah, do what works for you really.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  14. xfer85

xfer85 Member

Oic, thx. I just bought a Verbatim advance azo, and it works like a charm =p

So burning at 2x or 8x or even max speed (16x) doesnt matter at all with the modern's writer?

15. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

To my knowledge, burning a disc is either half the speed of the disc or full. For example, burning at half speed, a 16x disc is burnt at 8x, 8x burnt at 4x and so forth. If you have the MDS file along with the ISO you've obtained using DVD Decryptor, I normally burn it at half the speed using the MDS file although it's really up to you to compare results yourself and decide between yourself if it's really worth doing whatever or what really works for you. I found it preferable to simply burn at 6x on my 8x Taiyo Yuden DVD+Rs and have had no problems except a bad ISO like trying to extract data from a very badly scratched disc. The reason why I gave up on Sony DVD+Rs and switched to Taiyo Yuden was because Sony was giving me absolutely horrible burns with Valkyrie Profile Silmeria or Tales of the Abyss, and really, a lot of games I've burnt which require around 4 gigabytes or more of space, have been unsuccessful with mainly either slow loads or bad boots so I gave up on using Sonys and have been heavily content with what Taiyo Yuden has been giving me so far.

As for what speed to burn it on, I say, if your burner supports it, your media allows you to, and what you want to do personally, burn the ISO at the slowest speed but no more than half the rated speed on the disc and don't force your burner to do it. However, like I've previously said, try different things, burn speeds and such if you're suffering from problems. If you can't get it to work, you can always do a simple DVD media brand switch to see. Expletive, you can even burn on 1x using a 16x disc with a BENQ burner and still get good results. It really depends on you like I keep mentioning.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  16. xfer85

xfer85 Member

Alright got it.

I'll stick with 4x first since i've had no problem with my previous burn.

I would love to try out more variation, but since it'll waste a dvd-r disc, i rather not.

Btw, ps2 doesnt read dvd-rw? Else i could have tried on those since i can rewrite.

Edit :

Anything wrong with the above? Anyway, since the Supported Write Speeds didnt state 2x, does it mean i cant burn at 2x?

17. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Personally, I rather not bother with DVD-/+RWs because of what's been suggested, the results which spawned from using DVD+RWs personally and seeing how the PS2's laser can be picky at times, especially, if you have my v15 slim PS2 which will only read DVD+R at most. And plus, I've tried using DVD+RWs when I first started before with bad results so I stayed away from it since then and happily stayed with Taiyo Yuden.

As for the burn method, there's a way to hack your burner to burn data at any rated speed you want even though your disc supports only such and such; however, I do not know of it exactly because I have had no intention or troubles really for me to bother with it. Although, from what I've seen, I think Nero could get around the cap rated burn speed, but I'll just wait for someone to clear that up on my behalf.

Edit: Actually, I do use DVD+RWs but not for playing exactly. More like an experiment before I burn the game I want to burn on the proper, more superior disc. Usually, at the moment, I tend to use DVD+RWs to test my multi-game compilation and see if it'll boot. Most likely, if the game/s boot on the multi-game disk, the same results will duplicate over. And so far, they have. So yes, you can use DVD-/+RWs to test your games, but I don't recommend using them more than as guinea pigs.

18. xfer85

xfer85 Member

Ya, needed a RW to test out before burning on non-rws. Wasted 3 disc so far, tried patching my iso, didnt work well in the end. Wouldnt have been the case i guess had i used a rw.

Gonna try them out later when i get my hand on them. Only fear is if the patch actually works, and my old fat 5 years old ps2 gets picky and doesnt want to read RW, then i'll be probably wasting my time on it.

Pros and cons =/