1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Playing PS2 PAL game on modded PS2!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dgcool, Jul 30, 2003.

1. dgcool

dgcool Member

Ok I purchased a copy of gran turismo concept PAL version while on vacation in spain. I came back and tried to play it on my friends modded ps2 (not sure what kind of chip he's running). It ended up that the game would load but it was in black and white and the screen continously rolled. Now the question is, is it the mod chip that makes it incompatible (maybe its not an updated or correct mod chip to play imports) or do you maybe need a PAL tv to play the game? If so, would the same problem occur playing a japanese import?
    Also, I plan on purchasing the new slide card and magic swap "mod-chip" and my main focus is playing import games. Will this no-mod chip solution allow me to do this or will something like the above mentioned happen?
    Thanks for your help!

2. WEStar

WEStar Active member

ok, the problem is that buying a game from europe makes it PAL region while in north america it's NTSC, these 2 run on diffrent frequencies that's why you get the rolling screen not because of the mod. As far as Jap imports you won't have this problem because japan also uses NTSC. Only mod that I know of that would solve the problem is Messiah 2 pro, not too sure about DMS3 and for magic you'd have to patch the game to make it NTSC and the same goes for "magic swap" + slide cared. having the rolling screen on your friends system it means you'd have to patch it (make an image of the game and apply the patch) but the problem with that might be that I believe GT:concepts is DVD9. so, besides getting a TV that displays both pal and ntsc in north america(which I haven't seen) you can get an external converter, something like this http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=98&products_id=1687&

Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  3. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

yey alot of my backups where in black and white until i got a scart lead the scart (adaptor) that comes with ps2 dosent work the lead ive got i think i picked up for about £10

4. WEStar

WEStar Active member

I don't think we have SCART in north america.

5. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

learnt something new today then cheers