1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Prevention

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by ColinWWW, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ColinWWW

ColinWWW Guest

Could some of the more expert users give me advice about any steps I can take which will enable me to recover from future problems? I was thinking along the lines of the recovery disks used on PC's to get back to a basic operating system.
    For example, what is on the flash memory? Should it be backed up and if so, how?
    I have 3.52 M33-4.

2. Rav3

Rav3 Regular member

The onboard flash memory of the PSP (referred to as simply the 'flash') is a module of flash memory dedicated to storing the PSP units most important files, including the files for any firmware it is running.

The flash should be backed up if u intend on flashing files to your PSP unit, as if the files become corrupted or u discover they are not compatible with your FW, then it may lead to a semi brick (where u can still access the recovery mode but the PSP unit is dysfunctional otherwise).

To back it up, enter the recovery mode and select 'advanced'. Connect your PSP to your PC via USB cable if you haven't already done so. In the advanced menu, select 'toggle flashx', where x represents any of the intergers from 0-3. One u toggle it, you will be able to access it on your PC via My Computer -> and clicking on the drive letter. Copy and paste all the files shown to a safe place to be used further on in the case of a semi-brick.

You really only need to backup whichever flashx you are flashing data to.

I don't think there are any recovery discs (with a c) to unbrick the PSP, but in the case of a semi brick, keep a 'recovery' folder handy. Download the appropriate 'recovery' folder for your CFW and place it in 'PSP\GAME\' if the need arises. The recovery program can be run through the recovery menu.

3. ColinWWW

ColinWWW Guest

Cheers.
    Are all the files obvious or are there hidden ones like on a PC?
    If the worst happens would I have to "recover" it to 1.5 or is there a recovery folder to go straight back to 3.52 M33-4 ?