1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem putting avi files on dvd disks with dvd flick!

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by knfusd, Feb 28, 2009.

1. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

I have some avi files on my hard drive that I downloaded, that I would like to put on a dvd disk. the problem I have is that the files even though they're about 30 minutes in length have the time listed of total time if all the files are joined together. In other words the time of the files joined is 2hrs 45min but on each file the time is listed as 2hrs 45min. So if I attempt to join the files, dvd flick ( the program I'm using to put the files to disk ) can't do it because it takes too much space. My question is there some thing I could do, or a program I could use to put or change the time on the avi files so I could use dvd flick to finish the job.

2. attar

attar Senior member

A group of files that all show the wrong length??
    Do these files play on the PC ok?

Check the length of the file with Mediainfo.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/mp3_tools/mediainfo.cfm

If they show the correct time, something's wrong with DVD flick.

If they show the wrong time, something is wrong with them.

If they are showing the wrong time, download and run VirtualDub.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

Load one file by dragging it onto the window;it will attempt to repair the file.

On the top menu, click 'Video' > 'Direct stream Copy'.
    Click 'File' and 'Save as AVI.
    Check the running time of the new file with Mediainfo.

Alternately, set DVD Flick for a DL disk and see what you get.

3. knfusd

knfusd Regular member

First and foremost thank you for helping me with my problem, much thanks attar. To my problem, yeah all of the files have the wrong time on them i'm gonna download VirtualDub and see if it can repair them. I'll come back with the results. Also have an old girl LOL!! she doesn't have a DL burner. Edit it seems I was wrong the files do appear to have the correct time on all the files it seems as though DVD FLICK is the source the problem. I now need a good free program that can do the job. Or a very inexpensive one. Suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009