1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem reading Ritek DVD-R Printable

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by AgentTran, Mar 28, 2005.

1. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

Hi, I just bought a 50 Disc Spindle of Ritek DVD-R Inkjet Printables. I have burned 8 so far with no problems, but when I play 2 of them they freeze up on my Sony DVP NS575P DVD Player. They play fine on my cheapo dvd player but freeze up on my Sony. I am burning at 4x with Nero and have used Ritek DVD-R and Ritek DVD+R for some time now with no problems. I used DVD Identifyer and it said the discs are Ritek G05. Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it my Sony DVD player?

Thanks in advance!

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Sonys can be a little more sensitive than some of the cheapo DVD players. I would first suspect errors on the discs and may have a few in that batch that are iffy.

3. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

The discs are in mint condtion. The 2 discs freeze mostly at the beggining playing with all the menus and warnings. After that they play good. Also, why would my Sony only be picky of only 2 out of the 8 discs? I burned them all at 4x with Nero and they were all backed up with DVD Shrink.

4. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

Okay, I just made another back-up from the same source and it plays fine on my Sony DVD Player. Whats going on? Is it the Ritek media?

5. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

That would be my guess.

6. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

Thats odd, I've never had this problem before. I have used Ritek + and - DVDs before. But I don't think any of them were GO5. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the replies so far!

7. vike

vike Member

I've used the Riteks quite a few times, both G05 and G04, printable and non. My experience is that the G04 Media ID will give you fewer headaches than G05. Next time go for the G04s, or even better go with Taiyo Yuden.

8. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

Ok, I might go with Taiyo Yuden for my next spindle of blanks.

Thanks for the info!

9. salman74

salman74 Member

Hi, I've had a nasty experience with Ridata (since they are from the same company), I must've scrapped 6 of the 25 since my buddy and I shared a spindle. I've decided going with either Verbatim printable DVD-R or TDK Printable DVD-R. I'd rather spend the money and get a decent spindle rather then waste DVDs.

10. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

I have been using Ritek media for almost 6 months now with absolutely no problems, so I thought why not go for the printables when I get my new Epson R200. I will give Taiyo Yuden a try for sure.

Also, I think I may have fixed the problem. I started setting the default DVD space on DVD Shrink from 4464 to 4400 and none of the ones I have made after that have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
  11. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

Well, they play fine in my DVD Player but when I try to make back-ups of the copies they fail. I'm using Nero to copy them and when I analyse them in DVD Shrink the analysation fails at 80-99%. What the hell is wrong with these discs?

12. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@AgentTran
    I also had some problems with the printable Ritek discs - not all but maybe 10-15 out of 100. Burned the disc's on either my Lite On or Pioneer at 8x though- both newer models with the latest firmware. If Nero doesn't copy them try DVD Decrypter than burn with Nero - that's worked 99% of the time for me. I've switched to TY (ink jet printable) and so far 50+ not a problem or backing up the copy.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  13. AgentTran

AgentTran Guest

Yeah, I think i'm gonna stop taking chances and go with Taiyo Yuden for my printable discs. I rather pay more than waste blanks, especially printable blanks.

Thanks for the advice!

14. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@AgentTran
    You will notice a difference in the print surface between the ink jet Ritek and TY's. Ritek has a smoother somewhat shiner print surface - TY's have a coarser duller surface. I did have to up the print color on my epson to +2 with TY's to make them look the same as the original. But hey no coasters and a cleaner burn.