1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Problem saving Ripped/Burnt DVDs to hard drive

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by capnfigg, Jul 26, 2016.

1. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Hi Guys, I have a bucket load of dvds that were ripped and burnt with Shrink and 321 studios. I am trying to put these DVDs onto my hard drive. i have tried a few downloaded programs including handbrake., but when they try to read/save the files, they only save part chapters or cant read. is there a way to save and convert to appropriate format

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Hi attar, i tried makemkv but as with most it only seems to convert part of the file. I am loading file from a dvd in the optic drive. the dvds have already been ripped. The problem seems to be that as the programs are reading the files to convert they either stop reading at a certian point, i have checked and the dvd is playable so i have eliminated damage

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

drag & drop direct to hdd then convert from there,however before you do run dvdshrink on the dvd your having trouble with it can show up reading issues when it scans which would suggest a disc or dvd drive problem

5. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Hi scorp NZ thats part of the problem when i drop/drag windows stops reading usually about 76% in

6. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Capture.PNG I am running out of Toshiba Satellite pro. not sure of how good built in optics are

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. attar

attar Senior member

Create a new VIDEO_TS folder on the Desktop and copy and paste the contents from the DVD one file at a time.

8. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Thank attar ill give that a go, ill see if that works. Wondering if its the way Nero burnt the files to disc!

9. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Hi attar, gave the single file transfer a go. was going well but still locked up on last large movie file. even tried external drive. have tried on 8 different discs that play in normal dvd player. I am running avg free, wondering if avg is scanning cache on transfer and freezing?

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Didn't think laptop dvd drives were any good,do you have access to a pc or a later model external dvd drive even a friends.Look at this way if it plays on the standalone dvd player then your issue is the laptop dvd reader.There must be an issue with some blocks at that specific point in the dvd surface & your laptop drive can't get through them ,however a normal dvd drive may just do it

Wouldn't think avg would have anything to do with,disabling it will soon tell you

11. attar

attar Senior member

Assuming that you are using Windows to copy and paste the files from the dvd, try using DVD Shrink instead to save the files to the HDD.

12. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Thanks scorpNZ, i have tried a new imation external drive but with same result. i am going to dig out my old xp pc i finished rebuilding and try transfering with that. it has good drives and hardly any excess software to get in way. ill see if that works

13. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Yes i am using win 10 on laptop. am going to try old pc, ( XP) i have shrink installed on it already with basic other software. It was my old gaming pc and has far better graphics and mboard than laptop. ill give that a go and get back to you guys

14. hogger129

hogger129 Member

It sounds like the DVD might be bad if even another DVD drive will not rip it. I have had times when there is no visible damage, the things play fine, but they will NOT rip. The only way to fix it is to burn a new copy, with the slowest write speed you can manage, and on reputable media.

15. capnfigg

capnfigg Newbie

Hi hogger129, I thought the same thing as well about the discs but i always used top brand discs originally when burning.
    I have gone through dozen of different movies/disc brands to try to rip. I have been trying to copy 1 file at a time and it does seem to work on a couple of them. ( i have tried this on 3 different computers including my gamer). the problem i have worked out is with the ifo and backup files, there seems to become conflicts when trying to rip these together. the vob files come over easy.
    and unfortunately i cant reburn the discs as my source of supply, ie dvd rental shop is no longer in business. ;)

16. sandyfoot

sandyfoot Member

I have a over a thousand DVD movies on external hard drives.
    On the hard drive make a folder with the movie title then use Roadkil's Unstoppable copier to copy the contents of your DVD to that folder. Windows has a real problem, possibly by design, in copying dvd files.

I have copied several back to DVD using CloneDVD.

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Worth a shot,however a dvd with damaged blocks will create an unwatchable video of gobbledeegook that's only good for deletion,which is why dvdshrink was mentioned by myself & attar.The more retries there are the more horrible the video will appear