1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem shutting off Norton when burning - pop ups appearing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alsie, Mar 25, 2005.

1. alsie

alsie Guest

I usually shut down everything running through start - run- msconfig - disable all in start menu and now when I do it a pop up box keeps coming up from symantac warning me of the danger of not having my antivirus on and keeps coming back no matter what I do to eliminate it. Called symantic and after 2 hours with them still no resolve and pop up is driving me crazy. Copied a movie and just moved the popup to the bottom of my screen and continued. Longer than normal read time now gotten using shrink plus longer than normal encoding time also (maybe just a coincidence) Never had popup before but happens when I stop auto protect on Norton. If this is in wrong forum please move. Thanks in advance for any help.Curious if I am the only one getting this or what?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I usually shut off my modem when I backup my dvd's.No need to have the internet hooked up on any part of the dvd backup process.

3. alsie

alsie Guest

Saugmom - am disconnected from the internet and still get Security alert warning unless I turn Norton back on

4. alsie

alsie Guest

Saugmom - am disconnected from the internet and still get Security alert warning unless I turn Norton back on

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Instead of turning off Norton through msconfig just right click on the little yellow shield in the system tray and select disable :)

6. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Good Idea bbmayo.

I got one word AVG.

and it's free.

Good Luck

Spacedust..

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

To prevent the Symantec PopUps you have to go to Task Manager and shut down all processes related to Norton/Symantec. Disabling from system tray does not stop all Norton activity.
    Also a good idea to shut down other programs running in background that are not needed as well as disabling screensaver/stanby-powersaver.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm trying to figure out what pop ups you get with Norton anyway? I never get any pop up's and mine is always on?

9. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

As described above, Norton Internet Security (I have 2003 edition) will keeep prompting you to turn on Virus Checker and/or Firewall if you have disabled them from system tray

10. alsie

alsie Guest

Went back to Symantec support and they state it is not them but having XP and service pack2 installed is creating the problem not them. They suggested I go to Google type in "how to turn off sp2" and look for the one by university of Tennessee. Did as instruted but looks like you cannot stop popups if you do not have some software to be antivirus or internet security. Microsoft has evidently put in a safety net that you have to use a antivirus and internet security or forever popups. http://www.utmem.edu/helpdesk/sp2/sp2firewall.htm
    I hope someone figures out how to correct situation. I liked shutting everything down that could possably interfere and give me a bad burn.I guess if your running other windows besides XP you will not have this problem but us with service pack 2 installed evidently are up the creek.

11. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Try this remedy:
    Start/Settings/ControlPanel/Security Center/Antivirus/Recommendations. Then check the box that says you'll do the monitoring yourself (not letting windows do it automatically). Working so far for me.

12. alsie

alsie Guest

stan - won't work for me - have all the boxes checked as told but when I shut off Norton pop up continues - do you have XP with service pack 2 installed??

13. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Yes, XP Media Center 2005 edition with SP2 came preinstalled on my Sony Vaio RA820G purchased before Christmas.

14. alsie

alsie Guest

Stan - you are lucky - maybe service pack 2 (which just automatically updated my machine last week) had the added bonus I got and yours didn't).Did not know service pack 2 was ready back then. That was around the time I got the first service pack update and that did not create a problem.

15. hursty

hursty Active member

sounds to me you have a few options

leave it on

uninstall sp2

upgrade to norton 2005

have u got windows firewall switched on by any chance???

my set up is as follows

norton 2005,acronis privacy suite(very good),SP2,windows firewall turned off
    and i leave mine on(security)norton uses about 30 ram i think,so hardly breaking the bank

16. alsie

alsie Guest

Hursty - I have had to leave it on and if I thought going to Norton 2005 would correct I would do it now. My 2004 is up in August. Wish I could undo sp2 but I had update set on automatic and don't know if I could undo the update. I guess I have (had) my mind set due to having problems burning in the past that going through the suggestions here on how to eliminate the chance of bad burns (coasters) that using TY discs (instead of the crap I was using) and shutting everything off that could interfere with a read and insuring a good burn and grtting a disc that didn't freeze on me when watching a flick. Seems that using a upconverting player puts a strain on copies.I do not have windows firewall on but everything Norton. In other words I have come so far and have a set way of copying that this little monkey wrench in the works has me worried. Maybe this will not interfere with my copying. Just thought others might have the problem and have corrected it some how. I thank you and everyone that has given me their opinion and suggestions. Leaving Norton on has been the only way I have been able to burn and no problem as of now but am concerned one will be coming. I want to control my options and not have someone else control.

17. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

alsie, if you have a tray icon for Norton, right click on it and try to turn off the firewall and viruscan from there. After that, there may still be Norton processes running in the background, so you will need to go to Task Manager and close them individually (CTRL-ALT-DEL, Processes tab). You may also want to check C:\Windows\Tasks to see what kicks on automatically while you may be burning. I don't use Norton, but McAfee instead, and it is a nightmare. It runs so many processes in the background and assigns all of its processes 'high priority' which means if it wants to check for updates or clean out your temp files, it will utilize 100% of your system resources leaving anything else you're doing - watching video, surfing the web, or burning DVDs - waiting. If you don't believe me, leave your Task Manager as a tray icon on your bottom right corner of your PC. Notice everytime it turns all green (100% CPU usage) when your PC is seemingly idle, and then open up Task Manager to see what processes just ran automatically. It took me forever to figure out why my Windows video files would seem jerky - McAfee AntiSpyware would kick on periodically to scan files. It won't even let you lower the priority to medium or low - you have to turn it off.

18. alsie

alsie Guest

Dog Bomb- did as suggested and when popup comes on it will show it in Task manager. after clicking popup off it dissapears in task manager then reappears and if I try to end task it will give error message to send it to microsoft. looks like it will run on its own no matter what. Looks like it is on a automatic read when no firewall or no virus is working and can't be disabled. Wonder if I paid the $50 to Microsoft if they would disconnect it. This is getting to be a "I'll show them thing" Cannot control my unit they are!!

19. hursty

hursty Active member

i would get rid of nortons if it giving you so much bother,try using something else,
    there are plenty of other security app' you could try

20. alsie

alsie Guest

hursty - it isn't Norton it's XP's update doing it.