1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem w/ menu shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by fishbulb, Mar 26, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i tried to use menu shrink on the manchurian candidate but couldn't get the menu files over into menu shrink. couldn't drag/drop, or copy/paste. i ripped the movie to my hd using dvd decrypter in iso mode. should i use file mode?

2. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i've read the guide and even though i don't see where it actually says to save the dvd in file mode using dvd decrypter or any other software, i tried that anyway. i guess it's just an assumption that everyone knows to do this(?) so now that i've done that, i still don't understand the drag/drop option. i mean i know how to drag and drop, i just can't figure it out in this case. where do i drag them from? when i try, the folders won't drag. i guess if i can't figure it out i'll just stick to the old way of compressing menus all the way.

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ive only used this software a couple times but it seems to work pretty well.You just drag your VIDEO-TS folder and drop in on the program and click process.

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

well, i figured out how and where to drag the files from. that's about as far as i can get. maybe i'm just dumb. i thought the guide looked pretty simple but i don't have a clue where to go from here. first off, i have 3 VIDEO_TS files (BUP File-20kb, IFO File-20kb, and a VOB File-1,062kb) which one do i drag over? i can't even get the preview to work. i replaced powerdvd w/ my windvd but when i click soft dvd player and it opens, i can't figure out how to preview my menu. and again, maybe i'm dumb, but what do i do once it's processed? i don't see anything in the guide for the next step such as where, how, when to open the finished product to burn it. like i said, maybe i'll just stick to the old method. this just seems to be more complicated than it should be.

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

You need to use the whole video ts folder,I couldnt get it to open up my soft dvd player either for some reason,but it does work.

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

as i said, i've read the guide, but i just can't seem to figure out some of these things. maybe it's just me. the guide doesn't seem to have been written w/ the layman(sp?) in mind, such as myself. seems the author assumed it would be simple enough to understand for everybody.
    when i save the movie in file mode using dvdd, i get 3 VIDEO_TS files and a bunch of VTS files. what i can't figure out is how to drag and drop "the whole" VIDEO_TS folder. i don't see one single folder for the VIDEO_TS files.
    also, i got my windvd to open when i clicked on "soft dvd player" but it didn't start playing my menu and i can't figure out how to get it to. and like i said, once the process of shrinking the menus is complete, what next? there's no explanation like, "ok now you are ready to burn your movie with the shrunken menu." well, this is making my head hurt. i guess i'm just going to keep using the compression slider for my menus. i can't be spending so much time trying to figure out one little program that i'll probably rarely need to use anyway.

8. jeanl

jeanl Member

Hi fishbulb,
    jeanl writing here (author of MenuShrink). Sorry to hear you find it more difficult that ideally! Here's some pointers:
    - You can drag any of the files in the VIDEO_TS folder and MenuShrink should open the DVD. You can also drage the VIDEO_TS folder (go up one level in explorer, select the folder and drag/drop it on the MenuShrink window).
    - The "preview" button will only work with DVD players that support command-line options. At this point, this includes PowerDVD 6.0, WinDVD 6.0 (I think), and mediaplayer classic (free). If you use another DVD player, it will open, but it won't play the DVD right off the bat. In such cases, just open the video_ts.ifo file in your DVD player and you should be able to see whether your menus work as expected (they should!). This is an issue that's ouside of MenuShrink's control.
    - When you're done shrinking your menus, you end up with a bunch of files in the VIDEO_TS folder, and these are the files you need to burn on a blank DVD, as you normally would. If you need to shrink the DVD because it's still too big to fit on a blank DVD, then use DVD Shrink (the button on MenuShrink's main window should launch DVD Shrink for you, if you have installed it).

Let me know if you need more info.
    Jeanl

9. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

I used it for the first today, and had problems with Decrypt, however, Zippyd straightened that out (File Mode)......thanks zippyd.
    The rest was pretty much straight forward, although, I did have to change "Setup Paths" for shrink, then it worked perfect, and very fast.
    And since I had version 4 of Powerdvd I had to direct it manually to the Menushrink files.

Anyway, I love it, and many thanks to jeanl. I will continue to experiment with it, and like most software that is FREE, I will soon donate to the author.

Again thanks to everyone here.

Rich

10. jeanl

jeanl Member

Hi sytyguy,
    Thanks for the feedback. No need to donate! Simply enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Jeanl