1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with a dirty/jerky video source causing dropped frames

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by mickilee, May 8, 2004.

1. mickilee

mickilee Member

Hi,

I am having a problem, which could possibly be fixed by a new capture program. I have tried Vegas Video, VirtualDub, Adobe Premiere, Pinnacle Studio and many other programs which allow for capturing video. I have tried so many hoping that I could find an 'option' which would allow me to capture 'full frame video' from a C-tape source. My problem is that the video is of fairly low quality. I'm capturing it for DVD for a cousins wedding. So due to this 'low' quality, I am having large amounts of frames being dropped.
    Now before somebody replies and tells me to defrag, clean up or do anything else to my harddrive, I'll say to you that that is not the problem. Everywhere I have looked, people just tell you to clean your computer up and all will be fine.

Unfortunately, that's not the problem. The problem is that the video is so crappy (but I still need to capture it) that there are flickers, flashes and lots of 'headswitching' noticable at the top of the frames. Even pure white flashes from cameras and such cause my computer to drop the frame.

What I'm asking, is if anybody knows of a solution? such as a program that will not drop these 'dirty frames'? Think of a tape being all chewed up in the VCR while I'm capturing, and the image is all twisted and contorted. My computer will drop the frames when the tape is getting all screwed up, these are what constitutes my 'dropped' frames. And nobody has ever seemed to post anything like this before.

So if anybody can help me out, that would be great. Even if it's a tiny capture program from www.tucows.com and not some big program suite, I would still be grateful.

And if some of you still have the inclination to tell me to 'clean up my HDD' ;) I'll say that I can capture full frame 'clean' video easily without a hitch. So it's not the PC, but my source.

But even with all the hassles I still need to capture the video, even if it's going to be all 'flickery & flashy'.

thanks in advance
    mike

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t think there is a Solution because it isn"t the capture software that is dropping the Frames it is your Capture device that is dropping the Frame, The frames it is Dropping are Frames it can not read due to the Frame being dammaged or corrupted in some way....I think you are going to have to capture it anyway you can and try to edit it so the Bad Parts are cut out and you might be able to filter out the Backround noise useing filters but becides this I do not think there is much you can do...sorry ....Cheers

3. mickilee

mickilee Member

Thanks alot minion, I appreciate the reply.

I didn't think their was much I could do, which is why I posted in the first place, just to see if there was something I was missing.

My last question, to anyone, is if I'm reading from the source tape, and it is in fact 'damaged' why can't I still capture it? I mean, if the video playback device was somehow 'hardwired' to the computer, I can understand that their might be some complications. But since I'm running the source through a video input, and the damaged frames that are played for playback, are just blurred or scratched frames, the VCR will still play them back so there is no way for the computer to detect if the frames are damaged (since the VCR will still try to compensate by playing it) is their anyway to capture them? Most likely the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
    I'll probably just have to settle with really bad video capture.

mike

4. mitch999

mitch999 Guest

I am No expert at video conversion, but you have not said if your using pal or ntsc, that might be where the problem is. Pal uses 625 lines at 50hz or 25 frames per second (movies are sped up by 5% to cope with the 24/25 frame differance), now ntsc uses 500 lines at 60hz and approx 25fps but it also uses something called 3/2 pull down, looking at each frame then throwing 1 away every so aften. it may be better to record dvd as ntsc as most dvd players can convert automatically. there is a big differance with vhs tapes too, pal is 177lines and ntsc is 240.