1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with bin files created by DVD2SVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dakiller, Dec 27, 2003.

1. dakiller

dakiller Member

hi folks very informative forum i have gotten tons of useful advice
    heres my problem i have been fidlling around with DVD2SVCD and i can't seem to get a decent bin/cue set
    the files i have been encoding are all xvid
    at first i left all the settings on default
    using TMPGEnc
    the resulting cue/bin combos burnt(using nero) just fine,
    however the resulting vcd (encoded in vcd)
    stutter during playback i.e. video looks good sound present except the picture stops and starts about once a second
    i tried encoding with all the different motion search options and all the rate control modes same results
    so as not to waste the output or the time i spent
    i took the encoded video and sound files and tried to multiplex them wit TMPGenc in mpeg tools vcd mode
    nero refused to burn them without using its crappy converter on em i did not want that so...
    i restart TMPGenc used the wizard to create vcd resulting mpegs burn fine but...look like crap (very small filesize as well)
    my question is : can i burn these bins with nero?
    is there a setting i'm missing?
    p.s i have tried burning at different speeds to no avail

TIA

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

That Jumpy Playback you are describeing can be caused from a few different things...The Most common is Bitrate spikes, Which Tmpgenc is Notorius for ,What Happens is that the Bitrate spikes so high that your DVD player can not spin the Disk Fast enough to read the Data so the Video seems to freeze and jump and Start and Stop, the only way to fix this is to not use tmpgenc to encode...Another reason for Jumpy Playback is encodeing to a Different Frame rate than the source AVI file, Which means if your AVI file has a Frame rate of 25fps you can not encode it to a Mpeg file with a different Framerate because Tmpgenc doesn"t properly convert Frame rates.....Well i hope you get it worked out, You might consider useing CCE or Mainconcept to encode your Files ,They are Both Much faster than tmpgenc and produce simular quality Files...Cheers

3. dakiller

dakiller Member

THX for the reply minion
    seems logical i will try to the other encoders you suggested
    p.s. if you dont mind i have a follow up question:

if the initial frame rate is 25 then the file is PAL
    i live in NTSC country am i correct in assuming i must convert to NTSC in order to play on ntSc stand alone player?
    THANKS AGAIN
    I appreciate the help

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes you are Correct (Sort Of) you will need to convert a Pal file to NTSC for it to Play on your TV...Some TV sets can display both Pal and NTSC But these are mostly European TV sets...
    The Problem is that most programs can not Properly Convert Pal to NTSC or Visa versa especially Tmpgenc..It will convert it for you but you will get sync problems and Jumpyness in High Motion scenes..There are ways to Convert progressive Pal 25fps to Progressive NTSC 23.97fps but you will need to have a pretty good Understanding of Digital Video/Audio to do it correctly..The only encoder I know of the Does good Frame rate conversions Is called "Canopus Procoder" but it is a Little expensive at $700..Any good Video editing Program like Premier or Vegas Video can also properly convert Pal to NTSC also...good Luck

5. dakiller

dakiller Member

Minion,
    Thx for the quick response!!
    as luck would have it i was looking into canopus,you telling me it does a decent pal to ntsc conversion has kinda tipped the scale
    i want a good all arround encoder so i will invest
    think i have a source a bit cheaper than $700
    anyways thanks again for your help

6. dakiller

dakiller Member

Minion just a quick thks
    got my hands on procoder
    it rocks (except for the dongle lol)
    all my stutter probs disappeared and the pal to ntsc conversions are much better

now i have a neww question......
    jk