1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Burner or Media?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by alcara77, Mar 4, 2007.

1. alcara77

alcara77 Member

I have been lurking at this web site for a while but never posted until I had a problem.
    I have been backing up my kid's DVD's for quite a while. Children can be rough on DVD's, so I back them up and let them use the copies. I have recently been running into a problem. I usually decrypt with DVD Decrypter, which still appears to work with about 90% of my discs. Then I use Daemon Tools Virtual Drive to mount the image and then I will use DVDShrink to encode and burn to my single layer DVD's. This process has worked for quite a long time, with very few failures. I use FujiFilm DVD +R media because they have always been compatible with all of our DVD players and my I/O Magic burner. The problem is that I burn the DVD's, but then in the first 25% of the movies, the DVD will freeze. This happens on all of my players. I am frustrated since I just bough a 100 pack of Fujifilm DVD +R and would hate for them to go to waste.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The best way to have a high level success rate is to use this combination of programs.

1. DVD FabDecrypter
    2. DVD Shrink
    3. CloneDVD 2

Most of these programs are on my profile page. You may just need to download DVDFab Decrypter to the combination you are using now and you should have a 100% success rate.

Edit
    I forgot to add that to check if you are using good media download a free program called DVD Identifier.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Just add RipIt4Me and your problems should be solved, if the problem is copy protection and not the media. RipIt4Me uses DVD Decrypter and FixVTS code to clean and process the files so you have compliant files to work with. Use one of the file modes and not ISO as the Rip Mode in Ripit4Me. You don't need the virtual drive. You didn't need it to begin with because Shrink can open Files, Disc Image, and Disc. Use the 1-Click method in RipIt4Me and the files open in DVD Shrink for you, then all you need to do is run Shrink and burn. That has been recording the more difficult releases with the heavier copy protection. However, it won't help if you got a bad batch of media. I've used the Fuji +R in the past and it was good media. Use the free DVD Identifier and let us know who the manufacturer of the Fuji was. You can google for the DVD Identifier.

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Here are few suggestions:

** Make sure to update to the latest firmware on your burner if there's any available. Firmware plays a very important role when it comes to newer media, it increase media compatibility.
    ** Try to "booktype" to DVD-ROM when your using DVD+R disc, this is the best route (DVD format) to go, especially if your drive is capable of booktyping. DVD-ROM is the best format and it is most compatible with all functional DVD players.

Sounds like your using Nero to burn via DVD Shrink. I don't recommend "auto-burn" via DVD Shrink, I prefer to burn with Nero Burning Rom/Express manually. However, that's just me - simply because I want to ensure everything is successfully transcoded/encoded and playable prior to burning them to a DVD+R disc.

To booktype via DVD Shrink in combo with Nero:

NOTE: your drive must support booktyping in order to successfully changing the booktype to DVD-ROM.

(1) click on Backup!
    (2) Burn Settings
    (3) then Book type DVD-ROM

[​IMG]

Here's how to "booktype" via Nero Burning Rom http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/1665

Here are some FREE guide http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/A_F_Guides.html (including DVDFab Decrypter, DVD Shrink and RipIt4Me).

Best of luck.

5. alcara77

alcara77 Member

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I will give them a try and find out what works.

Great response time!!

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

You're welcome and keep us posted.

7. alcara77

alcara77 Member

Okay. Now for an update.

I downloaded DVD Identifier and it said the manufacturer was RITEK Inc.

Next I downloaded RipIt4Me and tried the 1-click mode. It would then bring DVD Decrypter which would list all the IFOs, BUPs, and VOBs in the DVD being ripped. Then it would automatically open the folder where everything is saved. It lists another folder as OriginalIFOs and a file called RipIt4Me.psl. Then RipIt4Me gives me a message that says "It looks like the PSL file was not imported successfully! Check the DVD Decrypter log (View Menu) and check whether the log mentions importing the PSL file. If not, you should abort the rip and try again." Then I checked the DVD Decrypter log and it doesn't say anything about a PSL file. So then I tried using the Wizard Mode, tried creating a PSL file, and basically the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Thanks

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What Rip Mode did you select?

By the way, Wizard mode does nothing that can't be done in 1-Click. Wizard gives the option of skipping steps for those who know which steps can be left out for a particular release. For those who don't know and those who like to be sure, I suggest sticking with 1-Click and leave the default selections (for full function) checked.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  9. alcara77

alcara77 Member

O.K.

I finally got the kinks worked out and went through the 1-click function. The rip mode I used was "Full DVD". I then went through all the steps. Now I am burning DVD's that even my DVD player wont recognize. I will try again.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Ritek used to be one of the average brands, but I haven't kept up with them the past year or so. You may want to check one of the media sites to see how they're currently rated. Did you follow alkohol's recommendation to booktype to DVD ROM? I did'nt see what drive you're using. Some support booktyping and some don't. If so and they're still not playing, I'd suggest using another manufacturer's media or try the disc on a friend or family member's player (preferrably a newer multi-format player). If the recorded DVD plays well on your PC, then it should play on the standalone if the format is supported. If it's a compatibility issue, you'll need to solve that. How old are the standalone players you have and what formats do they support? An easy media check is to buy a small supply of made in Japan Sony or Verbatim to see if you have the same problems (remember +R for booktyping). It's not a waste because you can always use the media. I'd suggest getting some RWs for test purposes, but only the newer standalone players support that format. It would be handy though recording and checking on the PC. You won't waste DVDs that way.