1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Burner reading PS2 discs

Discussion in 'PS2' started by badplanet, Mar 5, 2005.

1. badplanet

badplanet Guest

I am somewhat of a newbie. I have successfully made 2 backups. One of Spiderman 2 and one, following your tutorials, of NBA Street V3.
    I recently upgraded my hard drive to a 250 gig WD drive just after making the V3 backup. When I installed it, my motherboard started freaking out. So I ended up having to replace it as well. Since then, I have been unable to get my drive to read a ps2 disc. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, is there something that I'm missing? When I put the disc in, it tries to read it for about a minute and then finally tells the system that it's a blank CD with 0 free space and the correct amount of used space.
    I can insert a PS1 disc in and it immediately comes up correctly, but PS2 dvd's won't read since the mobo change.
    My original setup was
    ECS K7AMA Mobo
    Lite-on 451s Burner
    wd 40gig hard drive.

I upgraded the mobo to an ABIT KX7-333
    and a Western Digital 250 gig.
    The system runs awesome now, but I can't read the ps2 discs anymore so I can back them up.

I have since made backups of several of my DVD's so I'm just lost at this point. I'm about ready to take this mobo out (which sucks cause I really like it) and go back to my old one but I would have to go to the slower 40gig hard drive and pretty much never use my 250 with it.

Please help!!!

2. hursty

hursty Active member

have you tried using your lite-on burner?

3. badplanet

badplanet Guest

That's my only drive on this system. It read fine with my other parts, but with this new mobo/hard drive, it just won't read anymore. I have a few DVD's I need to back up and am then going to reinstall my old mobo to see if it will then read them again. I just hate that I will have to use my 5400rpm 40gig and not use my 250gig so if you can think of anything else, it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for the quick reply too!

4. hursty

hursty Active member

will it do anything?(the lite-on)?apart from ps1 games

5. badplanet

badplanet Guest

Right now, I'm Making a backup of the Super Troopers. I can read everything from CD-rom, DVD-rom, DVD movie, Ps1 discs, and music CD's...but no ps2. Before the upgrades, the lite-on read them fine.
    I did notice that it sounds like the laser in my lite-on is straining to read the ps2 discs now. I have read elsewhere that this particular drive has a problem reading any disc sometimes but a few tries later it will recognise it. I have been re-trying the discs for quite a while now and still the same thing. Pops up in my computer after a minute or so as a blank disc with 0 free space and 0 used space.

6. hursty

hursty Active member

um.........

strange....cant see a firmware upgrade solving this one
    but have you tried it?

what app' are you using to load (attempting) the games on the HD

7. badplanet

badplanet Guest

My firmware is the latest for my drive. What exactly happens is, I insert the disc into my drive, the light blinks for a minute or so, while this is happening, if I open my computer, it freezes until the autorun dialoge (which use to say pictures when I loaded it) pops up and says blank CD. My computer on detail view shows cd drive and it says 0 free space, 0 total size.
    If I go to the volumes tab in the properties for this drive, and populate the contents, it shows that it is seeing it as raw with 1 partition and it gives me the correct disc size.
    And it's not just one of my games, all of them act this way now.
    I just checked to see if the ones I already backed up would read and it jumped right open. I put the original back in, same problem.

8. badplanet

badplanet Guest

Ok, I figured I'd let everyone know what happened with this in case anyone else has this problem.

What I think happened, and I'm only guessing, is that while my tray was out one day, it got slammed back in which set it off track. The laser doesn't raise all the way unless the tray goes all the way in. The tray goes all the way in, but the cog that moves it doesn't go back to the original position so the laser doesn't go all the way back up anymore.

I can fix this, but I took this as an opportunity to upgrade and got an LG GSA-4163B from newegg.com 60 bucks. It screams through reading the PS2 games now. Gotta love it!

My hard drive I had to send back as defective because the S.M.A.R.T. status started showing fail. That had nothing to do with the DVD-ROM not reading.

Kevin

P.S. - Thanks Hursty for the sage support.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2005
  9. canania

canania Guest

badplanet:

i also have a gsa-4163b, are you having problems burning at 1x or 2x...all my programs don't even give me the option to burn at that speed...dvddecrypter says only 4x-8x

10. badplanet

badplanet Guest

I use Nero to burn my discs. It gives me the options to burn 1x, 2x, or 2.4x if there is no disc in the tray...depending on the disc I use, I can only get down to 4x. I would say see if you can get an older 4x disc to see if it gives you the 1x or 2x option. I'm not sure why it won't do it on the 8x discs that I use.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  11. backupsh

backupsh Guest

hey
    i just wanted to let all you ps2 modders know about a cool site i found. It offers really cheap backup ps2 games that you can play with your modchip. The site is [bold]www.backupshed.com[/bold] i think all you have to do is email the dude to get some games too. really good games too.

12. hursty

hursty Active member

@hey backupsh,you want to be careful about multi posting,
    mods dont like it,and they take it as spamming

regards

13. canania

canania Guest

finally got my backups to work...all about the right media...