1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with burning dvds

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by LastHour, Dec 19, 2004.

1. LastHour

LastHour Guest

hi, i just got a new computer, and it came with a DVD +/- RW Dual Layer 16x

and i also got a pack of dvd-r discs, the standard 4.7gb

i am trying to copy one of my movies that is scartched up, but it is apparently 7gb.... it wont let me burn it?: do i need different blank dvds? or can i still burn it?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello LastHour, Your scratched disc may or maynot be able to be Backedup. It all depends if it can go through the analyzing and encoding without errors.7 gb movies are no problem on 1- 4.5 gb disc.Plenty of free,excellent quality programs here at AD for you to try out. With nero and dvd shrink, most of my backups are perfect. Another free program is dvd decrypter, This has an option for helping rip a damaged disc and has a burn engine.On your media, a high quality media will save on a lot of problems.Try practicing on blank RW'S, that will save on coasters. Just a few little tips, Later

3. LastHour

LastHour Guest

it copies the movie fine, but when it comes time to burn it, it says that the disc does not have enough space.. or try burning at a lower speed.. and i tried all the speeds available..

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey lastHour, What media are you using? How many mbs are you trying to put on that backup? I keep mine under 4300 mbs. If you put more than that,more chance for errors..A standard 4.7 gig disc is actually about 4.5 gig. A little bit of it got lost in the conversion. Keeping it under 4.3 will help from keeping it from burning outer edge of disc.This is where dye may be uneven in poor quality media and also where your fingers touch it.What programs are you using to rip and burn? Later

5. LastHour

LastHour Guest

umm, i really dont know.. i jsut got this new computer and it came with a dvd burner..... its NTI dvd maker-gold... it came with the pc

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey lasthour, All i use is nero and dvd shrink. If you have no burning software,then you can download dvd decrypter. Nero has a free trial for 30 days. Dvd shrinks "shrinks" the movie you are trying to back up. It places it in ISO files on your hard drive.You can "reauthor" the movie to take off the extra stuff like titles,foreign languages, and directors commentary.This is where you have to stay under 4300 Mbs.Click backup, check burn settings,ok and whala, The process has started. This is a whole lot different than cds. Lots of free programs and guides here at AD.Get some rw's discs to practice with, and stay away from that scratched up disc till you figure out the process.It is pretty simple,once you figured it out.