1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with cd's and dvd's going bad

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kublikhan, Apr 1, 2005.

1. kublikhan

kublikhan Member

I am having a problem with my burned cd's and dvd's going bad. They work fine after I burn them, but within a year or two I start having trouble playing them/pulling data off of them. When I examine the disks, they don't have any scratches on them, but they don't look right either. Some look discolored in parts, some of the cd's actually look like the aluminum inside the cd started to peel back. These disks did not have any labels on them, were stored at room temperature, out of direct sunlight. Pressed disks(store bought originals) stored in the same area do not have these problems. These disks were generic. I have since switched to buying Taiyo Yuden brand blanks. I am wondering if a year or two down the road I will have the same problems with my Taiyo Yuden burns. What's the oldest TY burn someone still has? When I see the TY name, can I assume all their disks will have the same longevity or only the ones that use dye 123 from lot 456 and plant 789?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Just because you can't see the flaws after you burn doesn't mean they don't exist. That's why people run the PI/PO and C1/C2 error tests on their media to reveal those unseen flaws. And cheap discs usually have cheap dye that may falter under extreme heat from being left in the DVD player. Like I said, you don't have to spend a bundle on Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim to get completely flawless burns, but TDK, Sony, Fuji, or my favorite, Ridata, will give you very good burns for a decent price. What I suggest to you is to perform those error tests with Nero (or Plextor's PlexTools, if you have a Plextor). Take a random sample of your old burns to seel how many errors you get and to see if you may need to reburn or replace them.