1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with creating EvolutionX CD-rw bootdisk?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by ECMoney, Jan 6, 2004.

1. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

I am having problems creating my EvolutionX cd-rw bootdisk. I am using a 4x Memorex CD-rw disk and have downloaded the EvolutionX Build 3935 version of EvolutionX. I have unzipped the files into a folder and have renamed the evoxdash.xbe file to default.xbe and created an .iso of the EvolutionX folder. My first question, do I just make one .iso file of the entire folder? The folder consists of the following files and folders:

Bios (folder)
    Skin (folder)
    Trainers (folder)
    default.xbe (file)
    evox.ini (file)
    readme.txt (file)
    EvolutionX Build 3935 (file)

I have created 1 .iso file for the entire folder using ISOCraxtion and named it Evox_v1.8.3752.iso, then I copied the .iso file to my Memorex CD-rw using RecordNow DX with my Sony DRU-510 with 1x speed. I booted up my XBOX, put in my CD-rw and I am getting an error stating that my XBOX does not recognize this CD, etc. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to convert each file and folder to a seperate .iso file or am I supposed to just put them all as 1 .iso file as I have done? Any help is much appreciated, what have I done wrong?

2. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

K, there are a few things you need to do. First, the Xbox will not read the cd if you do not have a dummy file. Second, your Xbox may not like the brand of CDRWs you are using.

First find a file on your computer that is about 100-200 MB. Create a folder (I named mine abc.dat) and put the file in this folder. This is your dummy file, this will bulk up your cd so that the xbox will read it. Next, when I created the ISO I had these files in a folder called Evox

Bios (folder)
    Skin (folder)
    default.xbe (file)
    evox.ini (file)
    abc.dat (folder)

Make sure that your .ini file is set up to allow FTP and that your password is xbox, and your IP is set to whatever you want.

Now I used Cration to make my iso, all i did was select the folder named Evox which contained the above files and folders and it created the ISO.
    Now use nero, and SELECT BURN IMAGE from the file menu. Make sure the speed is the slowest and it is set to disk at once. If the xbox still doesnt read, then you need a different brand of CDRW. TDK brand works in most cases.

*sidenote: your bios can be set to look for files other than the default.xbe file. Open your bios with your bios manager and make sure that is says next to the DVD drive that it looks for default.xbe.

3. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

What do you mean check my bios? How do I open my bios manager to check that it looks for default.xbe.

I am going to try everything again, I don't think there is a problem with my Memorex CD-rw as I heard that they pretty much work 99% with xbox but I will also try another media (TDK preferably). I don't know what else I can be doing wrong, the evox.ini file was setup properly with the correct settings and I renamed the .xbe file to default.xbe. I will try putting a dummy folder with 100-200mb to bulk up the CD. I will let you know tonight if it worked.

4. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

The bios is what you put on your chip itself. When you first turned on your xbox with the chip enabled, it should have booted to a black screen that said please insert bios update cd or something like that. Then you put in the cd with your new bios. If you have not done this, then you xbox definatly will not read your Evox cd. If you have done this, then to check your bios you open up your bios file with something called XBtool. you can search for it on google and you should find it. Then you can change the color of the "X"logo and make sure that the DVD drive is set to look for default.xbe. If you have not flashed your bios, then I will tell you how to do so.

5. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

Hey shdwsfall, thanks for the help. The problem is that I bought my XBOX and then gave it to a guy to put a mod chip in it. I dont know what type of mod chip I have or if he flashed the bios, etc. I picked up the XBOX, got a few copies games from my friend and started playing. So I am not sure what I have nor if it was flashed or not. I am going to ask my friend to call that guy and see what mod chip he installs and if he flashes the bios, etc. I will first try to use a different media type cd-rw and try it once or twice more. If I still can't boot then I will download the XBtoll and check my bios. I will update you on my status, I will try it all tonight. Thanks again!

6. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

OK I tried copying the .iso file of the EvolutionX dashboard files to two different cd-rw's and still nothing. I get the same error, "the xbox is unable to recognize this disk, etc etc". I tried copying to a Memorex cd-rw and a Verbatim cd-rw, so I dont think the media is the problem. I must be doing something wrong or maybe my bios has not been flashed? I have downloaded XBtool, do I just create an .iso image and burn it to a cd-rw and boot up in the XBOX? What else could I be doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

7. shdwsfall

shdwsfall Regular member

When you create a CD to flash the bios, it does not need to be an ISO. In one of the recent threads, might be a page or two back, I described how to make this cd. Just check the subject of the threads on the first couple of pages and you should find it.

Hmm, if your bios wasnt flashed, then it should come up with some sort of screen telling you to flash it. Is there an external switch for your chip? Like underneath the front lip of your xbox is there small board with 3 little switches on it? if so, then you may need to switch it to enable.

You need to find out what kind of chip he put in and then tell me. Also ask that guy if he flashed your bios, and what bios he used to flash it.

It sounds to me like that guy should have some knowledge about the chip he put in, you could tell him your problem and he may be able to tell you something. If the chip is installed correctly, and the bios is flashed, which if there is no bios flash screen I assume it is flashed (or the chip is not enabled or installed correctly), then the boot disk should work.

If all else fails, then you may try to track down someone with a DVD burner and then make the boot disk with a DVDRW, make it the same exact way, only burn it to DVD. DVDs work almost 100% of the time.

8. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

Hey shdwsfall,
    I will search for your thread about how to create a CD to flash the bios. That should not be a problem.
    AS for my XBOX, when I power up it just goes to the original menu, there is no message or screen about the bios or flashing that appears. I am not sure if there is an external switch for my chip, I will check underneath the front lip when I get home from work and let you know. I will try to find out what kind of mod chip the guy put in my XBOX, I already sent him an email and I will try calling him again tonight to ask him a few questions. He knows what he is doing so I am sure he did everything that he was supposed to.

AS for the DVD burner, I have a DVD burner but I never tried to copy the EvolutionX to a DVD, can I use a DVD-r or does it have to be a DVD-rw as I dont have a DVD-rw on me. I will try that tonight also.

I think that my problem is not with the bios or flash, that it has to do with the EvolutionX. I must have a different version or beta version or I just dont have correct files. I am going to look around for a new version right now on the net, but I was having problems finding a copy before.

Thanks again for all the help

9. ECMoney

ECMoney Member

I finally got my evox boot disk to work, the problem was the media. My Memorex CD-rw and Verbatim CD-rw both would not boot so I copied the evox boot disk to a Mitsumi DVD-r and it booted just fine. I guess my XBOX did not like the CD-rw's? By the way my mod chip is a Executer 2, not sure if that is any good or not?