1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with decryptor

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by jlg895, Nov 26, 2004.

1. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

I have owned sony's 510 burner for awhile and i just upgraded the firmware on it so that it would record onto an 8x dvdr. Well as a x-mas present i recieved the new sony 710. while trying to burn an iso image it would only read at 2x the recording rate. when i go back to the 510 ( I have them both installed) it records just fine at its maximum speed ( 4x). I figured it was just a firmware deal but when i visited the web site of sony there are none available. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

On what IDE position is your new 710? It should be set to master on it's respective cable.

Is DMA enabled for the drive?

3. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

well, to be honest, when it comes to the hardware portion of computers I am not very knowledgable. I dont know how to enable it. But, I went back and setup the 510 firmware. the 510 has a power calibration error now and the 710 records at a 0.8x speed so its taking me an hour to backup a 4.7 disc. also I am using fuji dvdr's that have up to an 8x speed. I'm trying to record an iso image left from shrink. I know this is probably going to be an easy fix and makes me look foolish but i am starting computer repair classes in jan. So, please bare with me.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No worries, we were all new at some point :)

For the DMA issue here's a link that explains how to check:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

If you're not able to get the drive(s) in DMA try the following:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

While you have Nero Info Tool open take note of where your burners are on the IDE. The important thing to remember is that a DVD burner is best set to Master on it's respective IDE to avoid transfer conflicts.

5. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

Thank you for the info. Currently i am running windows 2000 so I heard that could be giving me problems as well. I'm heading to work right now but I will give it all a hard look when i get home.