1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

problem with downloaded DTS cds

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by sans, Jun 18, 2007.

1. sans

sans Regular member

Most of the DTS images I've downloaded have periodic skips in the tracks. Some work, some don't. Some are much worse than others (skip more often).

My cd player is a Sony 300 disc changer, fully DTS compatible, as is my reciever, a newer onkyo 7.1 set.

Any ideas?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Could be several things happening here:
    1 - Bad Media at your end.
    2 - Bad Burner at your end
    3 - Burning too fast at your end
    4 - Bad disc from the originator
    5 - Bad media from the originator
    6 - Burning too fast at the originator
    7 - Bad original encoding from the originator
    8 - Corrupted data packet in the download
    9 - What CD-Audio burning application you are using is not reading the multiplexed stream correctly, or is creating errors

Seriously - where are you downloading these from? I ask as they are falling in to one of 2 categories:
    A - Home-made upmix discs from stereo source.
    B - Illegal copies of a genuine surround mix.
    Either way, you're entirely at the mercy of whoever created the original - if the original is good then we are looking at bad media almost for certain. around 95% of all burnuing problems are caused by unbranded or ultra-cheap media, and errors on the disc that the player error correction cannot keep pace with.
    Try changing to either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim media, and burn at the slowest speed possible.

3. sans

sans Regular member

im using Nero to burn. the images are from torrents. im using Memorex cdrs which seem to work just fine for anything else.

ill try burning at slower speeds.

4. sans

sans Regular member

tried burning one at 10x with nero and i still got the skips. guess ill buy special cdrs for dts cd's.....

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Memorex are probably one of the worst brands that it is possible to buy.
    Get a cake of 50, and run each one through a freeware tool called DVD Identifier. You'll find as many as 3 different makers in that cake, as they grab the cheapest no-name discs they can find & just put their name to it. Dreadful.

Next.
    Only use Taiyo Yuden/Verbatim.
    Only burn at 4x maximum.
    Also, mount the image in a virtual drive, or else play the damned streams into a DTS decoder & make certain your files are not corrupted.

My guess is the appalling Memorex discs.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

Remember......... at torrents, you're at the mercy of whoever Uploaded the files. If their upload wasn't absolutely perfect, your download isn't going to be either. I think that's the case, with most downloaded problems.

7. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Due to the inbuilt error checking, I doubt the torrent is corrupted.
    These things are checked at torrent creation, and for a skip to happen implies errors on the disc, not in the data stream.
    Dump the Memorex.

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Just had to laugh at the claim that 3 different manufacturers can be in the same spindle of media! That can only happen at the retail level if a store decides to take back a few spindles with missing discs and top them off. In those cases the spindle is not banded or wrapped in shrink material because retailers do not have shrink tunnels large enough to accommodate spindle packs. That, if it ever happened, is the fault of the retailer, not the brand or manufacturers.

Memorex uses media manufactured by CMC, Ritek, Prodisc, MBI, and Taiyo Yuden, hardly "no-name" manufacturers who also produce Verbatim, HP, Philips, Imation, Maxell, Sony, and TDK discs. Gigastorage, Princo, Sky, Daxon, Umedisc and scores of others make media that can be considered inferior to and are considerably cheaper than the those listed above.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Is that so!
    Then please tell me why this has happened to me from a sealed spindle of memorex discs? Believe me, amongst burning community this is well-known. Memorex buy the cheapest media they can lay their hands on & slap their name on it. This 'unbranded' media is certainly *not* the same quality as manufacturer branded media. Memorex give the impression of being a brand, when it is not.
    Since we went to Verbatim Data Life Plus (Advanced Metal Azo) or Taiyo Yuden, we have never had a coaster that was not the direct result of my stupidity. With memorex, around 30% fail.
    I am far from the only person to have noticed this either. The common cause of failed burns is bad media. The next most common cause is burning too fast, or with a dodgy burner.

10. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

1) The cheapest media on the market are the names I mentioned. Memorex does not source from them.

2) Factories seal the spindles, and discs from multiple factories cannot find themselves in the same spindle unless the retailer is involved. (It was once possible for multiple MID codes from the same factory to get into a spindle. A spindle from CMC may have had MCC, CMC MAG, or even Philips codes in the same spindle when the packaging group added discs to a spindle to top it off when the counter or scale--both are used simultaneously--indicates a spindle has too few discs in it; but even that would be unlikely since the label graphics would have to have the same designs. Different production runs using different MID codes generally have different graphics. No packaging line today would consider doing such a thing because incoming inspections finding different MID codes would mean rejection of an entire lot of over 100,000 discs.) All the "good" factories I mentioned have made big improvements in their packaging areas. But different factories in the same spindle? That's only possible at retail because no one reworks media. It's just too expensive.

3) The most common cause of failed burns is not bad media but incompatible write strategies when a drive does not recognize the MID code of a disc and uses a default write strategy. The second most common cause is transient debris on a disc, which can be a quality problem if the debris was present in the packaging area. The third most common cause is invalid file structures, and the fourth is dye comets in the coating--a quality problem. All of these problems get blamed on the media, and the "proof" is that using the most compatible media, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, resolves the problem. The problem they resolve is most commonly the compatibility issue. The fundamental problem--and it is often intentional on the part of Japanese drive manufacturers--is lack of firmware support for Taiwanese or European media manufacturers. This has improved now that only Taiyo Yuden is making discs in Japan and Fuji, Verbatim, Maxell, Sony, and TDK source from Taiwan. (In your argument, that means that all four are no longer brands since they now "slap" their names on Ritek/CMC/Prodisc media, although Verbatim, Maxell, Sony, and TDK all do own their own stampers.)